Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 05-21-2018, 12:42 PM   #15
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Well what is the ZL1 missing that the SS 1LE has? Is the real question. I want to say maybe the sway bars? But I do not know for sure. They do have the same brakes, wheel sizes, rear ends.

A sway bar upgrade isn't to terribly expensive if that is all it takes to get it on par with the 1SS 1LE. This is making me excited to find out as I would really like a ZL1 myself.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 12:54 PM   #16
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
Well what is the ZL1 missing that the SS 1LE has? Is the real question. I want to say maybe the sway bars? But I do not know for sure. They do have the same brakes, wheel sizes, rear ends.

A sway bar upgrade isn't to terribly expensive if that is all it takes to get it on par with the 1SS 1LE. This is making me excited to find out as I would really like a ZL1 myself.
ZL1 has larger brakes. Get it on par with SS 1LE? So it is slower? Have you checked lap times between these 2 cars stock for stock?
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #17
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
ZL1 has larger brakes. Get it on par with SS 1LE? So it is slower? Have you checked lap times between these 2 cars stock for stock?
No I have not. I am curious how the two cars handle when I say on PAR. Whats different about the suspensions? I am thinking nothing. As in the 2SS 1LE is the same car as the ZL1 minus the motor. So other than the front end weighing what 100lbs more it should handle the same as the 1LE with way more power.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #18
Chevyman2

Drives: 2018 zl1
The zl1 is going outperform 10 out of 10 tines with same driver ,track and conditions. There is a reason it’s the flagship trim level for Camaro. If you can swing cost might as well get the zl1. The SS 1Le is good car the zl1 is better car zl1e is the best.
Chevyman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:47 PM   #19
Lafourche1

Drives: 2019 CLA 450 Mercedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwisemueller View Post
I no longer have my SS 1LE, but it was an incredible machine. Lots of performance for the money. The ZL1 in non 1LE form might leave you wanting for more. My vote is that you buy an SS 1LE and then you buy my 18" BC Forged wheels with Hoosier R7s Not that I'm biased or anything...
The ZL1 has all of the extra bits of the SS 1LE as standard equipment.

Racaro seats, eLSD, MRC, 285 / 305 tires F/R, PDR and 200 extra HP. Let's not forget that the ZL1 has the wider body to accommodate the wider tires. The SS 1LE does not and the tires just stick out. There are the extra aero pieces, too. I'll finish with the 10 speed auto that is a pretty nifty piece, too.
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #20
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock View Post
No I have not. I am curious how the two cars handle when I say on PAR. Whats different about the suspensions? I am thinking nothing. As in the 2SS 1LE is the same car as the ZL1 minus the motor. So other than the front end weighing what 100lbs more it should handle the same as the 1LE with way more power.
In addition to larger brakes zl1 has a slightly diffefernt wheel track spec and sways. 100lb doesnt worry me much just like carrying a passenger in my ss 1le doesnt change it handling any. But you might be right that the 2 cars handle a bit differently. Bottom line the zl1 is MUCH faster at any level and based on the vids and Randy's comments seems very stable as well. Cheers!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:39 PM   #21
Badgerbimmer

Drives: ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
There is some comparos on here between driving a SS 1LE and a ZL1. Just need to find them.

As I recall, the summary I got was that, although both have basically the same suspension, the SS 1LE felt way more composed and exciting to drive on track. The ZL1 felt less controlled.
2012 Audi S4
1992 Porsche America Roadster
1990 BMW 325Ic
Badgerbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 03:46 PM   #22
mggeyer

Drives: 2017 hyper blue ss 1le
As a comparison pryor to buying my SS 1LE I had a 05 Cadillac CTSV. The V was a great car that I enjoyed althoughthere were a few things that need to be changed in my opinion. Comparing it to my SS1LE i will gladly take the camaro 10 out of 10 times. In my opinion the Camaro is nicer in every way except the stereo. Drive around in TOUR MODE if you are worried about daily driving. This cars chassis is so FN good that you will soon forget about all the other things you thought you were worried about. Visibility you get used to in a day. Trunk is adequate. Performance , acceleration is good, handling off the chain! Braking excellent. Its a car that begs to find great road to drive on. As a track car if you cant be happy with this car something is wrong. If $10 -$15 grand is not much to you , Id buy the ZL1. I couldnt swing the extra but I couldnt be happier with how this SS1LE makes me feel.
mggeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #23
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
ZL1 is basically the same car as 2SS 1LE. Here are the only major differences I can think of:

- 200 BHP more (LT4, up from LT1)
- Optional A10 transmission
- Moderately larger front brake rotors and pads. Caliper I think is same as SS 1LE, but they are mounted differently to account for the larger rotor diameter.
- Wider front fenders.
- Different hood
- Different front bumper
- Rocker panels
- Small wing instead of lip spoiler
- Different wheel design (but exact same sizes and tires as SS 1LE)
- Red stitching
- Exhaust tips are larger

I'd imagine ZL1 drives very similarly to SS 1LE given they have the same FE4 suspension. Perhaps they are tuned slightly differently. The ZL1 does have an extra 100 pounds biased towards the front of the car, and of course 200 BHP makes a huge difference in acceleration.
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #24
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
^^^^^^

Yes, the do feel quite similar (SS 1LE and ZL1) from a chassis perspective. East/west/south (right/left/brake) are quite similar feeling, but the northbound acceleration is QUITE A DIFFERENCE!!!!

Just one note on FE4. They are calibrated slightly different between the two cars, mostly to account for the weight and additional squat in the front and rear under braking and acceleration. The result is a similar feel (to me anyway).

The ZL1 1LE feels nothing like anything I’ve ever driven from a factory car! Feels closer to my C5Z did with the T1 sways and race shocks/springs! I daily drove that C5 for 8 years, loved every second of it...
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:26 PM   #25
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ctivision View Post
ZL1 is basically the same car as 2SS 1LE. Here are the only major differences I can think of:

- 200 BHP more (LT4, up from LT1)
- Optional A10 transmission
- Moderately larger front brake rotors and pads. Caliper I think is same as SS 1LE, but they are mounted differently to account for the larger rotor diameter.
- Wider front fenders.
- Different hood
- Different front bumper
- Rocker panels
- Small wing instead of lip spoiler
- Different wheel design (but exact same sizes and tires as SS 1LE)
- Red stitching
- Exhaust tips are larger
FYI- brake rotors front and rear are larger, with thicker rotors. Front and rear calipers are a similar overall size, but ZL1’s have much larger pistons in them. Good summary though.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #26
Rich J

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Manual
Just got home to read all these replies. Thanks so much for all the thoughts. Just to be clear, the extra $18k for the ZL1 is not nothing to me, but it's not insurmountable either. I have a Porsche Cayman that I'm trading and I'm selling a V6 1LE, so I could spend over $50k without adding money. My point was really about the relative performance and cost of the SS vs ZL1. For example, I was never disappointed with the Cayman's performance compared to, say, a 911 GT3, because it cost a TON less. The ZL1 is substantially more money than an SS 1LE, but it's not in a completely different league of price like, say, a V6 1LE vs a ZL1.

I'm going to keep reviewing past posts and opinions on this forum and in the magazine reviews. I think I am going to rule out the ZL1 *1LE* though due to the suspension and the wing is a bit much for regular driving. If this were my primary car for track days, I'd feel differently, but I already have a car with a big wing and coil-overs that has spring rates triple the stock rates. This car is really my *back-up* track car.

Thanks again for the comments and input. This is a great board.
Rich J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:58 PM   #27
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich J View Post
Just got home to read all these replies. Thanks so much for all the thoughts. Just to be clear, the extra $18k for the ZL1 is not nothing to me, but it's not insurmountable either. I have a Porsche Cayman that I'm trading and I'm selling a V6 1LE, so I could spend over $50k without adding money. My point was really about the relative performance and cost of the SS vs ZL1. For example, I was never disappointed with the Cayman's performance compared to, say, a 911 GT3, because it cost a TON less. The ZL1 is substantially more money than an SS 1LE, but it's not in a completely different league of price like, say, a V6 1LE vs a ZL1.

I'm going to keep reviewing past posts and opinions on this forum and in the magazine reviews. I think I am going to rule out the ZL1 *1LE* though due to the suspension and the wing is a bit much for regular driving. If this were my primary car for track days, I'd feel differently, but I already have a car with a big wing and coil-overs that has spring rates triple the stock rates. This car is really my *back-up* track car.

Thanks again for the comments and input. This is a great board.
The only problem is when your backup track car is faster than your track car.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #28
Rich J

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
The only problem is when your backup track car is faster than your track car.
Haha...yes, I know what that's like, kind of. I bought a low mileage stock 2009 CTS-V a few years ago. It rolled into my garage stock (around 470 whp) and rolled out and made 640 to the tire after one round of mods (cam, blower pully, full length headers, etc.). It made the rest of my cars, including my track car, feel pathetically slow. That was sad. But I got tired of it and sold it, though I was not tired of my track car. Since the V has been gone awhile, the Evo feels fast again.

Perhaps that's a reason NOT to get a ZL1!!
Rich J is offline   Reply With Quote