Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
teddywetts

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro, 2015 Silverado 6.2
Passing on a 16 SS and getting my ZL1 tomorrow!!!

Hey men and women,

Ive been sitting and stewing on what to do with my 2014 SS Camaro. I loved it, I thought it was beautiful and powerful. Until I went for a ride in my friends Shelby GT 500. It ruined me. It ruined my day. It was so fast. So raw. So exciting. Almost scary. I got back in my Camaro after driving a 600hp Mustang and drove home with a weird feeling in my gut. I knew I had to get more speed. I wanted something that felt like a classic muscle car. I wanted something that would make me not envious of his Mustang!!!
I waited months until I could get my hands on the new 2016 SS Camaro. I had nearly a dozen dealerships calling me and trying to get me in. I finally drove a white 2SS with black/red interior. Initially I was underwhelmed with the overall look even though I knew I liked the front end. It didn't remind me of a muscle car. It didn't feel raw, or nasty. It felt, dare I say too refined? It was like getting into a BMW coupe. Very nice quality, very pretty, but not mean. Couldn't quite put my finger on why I felt that way until nearly a day later. I came to the conclusion that the 16 is a phenomenal car. Beautiful and elegant, but ultimately not a muscle car. It handles amazingly, and accelerates much better than my 14. With that being said, for all its bells and whistles and 2016 ish inspired themes I think the car will be more forgettable than the 5th en. Especially the ZL1. 25 years from now if my son crawled into this 16 Camaro i think he would say, "Oh my gosh, look at how primitive this screen is, look at this cheesy lighting, this is cute. I remember when this was a big deal." So on and so on. I don't want that. I want him to have that same feeling that I get when I poke my head into a 69 Camaro SS. Leather seats, sweet ass steering wheel, classic badass, and loud as hell. Its as timeless as blue jeans, faded t-shirts, and cold beer. Thats why Ive decided to buy a 2012 ZL1 instead. I found a 1-owner with low miles, and my wife and I are leaving in the morning to got get it. Its heavier, its bigger, its a little more primitive, and I fricken love it! It gives me the same feeling as an old Boss Mustang, or a mean ass Chevy Nova. Its the car I want to run up to at a carshow and take pictures of, and I think its a car that will be just as kickass 20+ years from now. I know opinions may differ, but I have put a ton of thought into this, and this is the decision I've made. Wanted to know everyones thoughts, and what your experiences have been with your ZL1's. Cant wait to join the club, and sorry for such a lengthy first post.

Last edited by teddywetts; 12-11-2015 at 01:57 PM.
teddywetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
i would have done the same thing. good call and congrats!!
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
You will not be disappointed!! I can relate to your thought process for wanting a more raw and aggressive muscle car. Post up some pics when you get your new beast!
2015 Z/28 #642 Black Bad Ass
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
teddywetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmick5jr View Post
i would have done the same thing. good call and congrats!!
Thanks, man. It really was a head scratcher. I analyze stuff to death lol. Im sure i annoyed my wife like crazy that last few months trying to figure this out, but I feel confident that she will like the outcome. The 2012 is black on black on black, and looks like a million bucks. My friend also has a 12' ZL1 and I rode in it and was giggling like a little kid. I can't wait to melt my first set of tires off!!
Old 12-11-2015, 11:27 AM   #5
teddywetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark72 View Post
You will not be disappointed!! I can relate to your thought process for wanting a more raw and aggressive muscle car. Post up some pics when you get your new beast!
Will do!
Old 12-11-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
musclecarfan

Drives: 1993 Indy Pace Car, 2014 ZL1 BRM
Great choice! I love, love my 14 ZL1!!!
musclecarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #7
2014CamaroZL1

Drives: 2014 CRT ZL1
^^ Me also.
However...
Be advised that the ZL1 is rather civilized and not all that raw.
Mag shocks and smooth power delivery.
I would expect a live axel Shelby to be much more unruly.
Although driving the ZL1 in PTM 5 at all times would make it more exciting.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
harmonyp

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Silver Ice Metallic Manual
I just went thru the same decision. ZL1 or 2016 2SS. I didn't drive the 2SS - didn't need to. Sat in it. Teddywetts - your description is "spot on" (other than addressing your post only to men, cause us women love our fast cars too!!!)

I drove a lot of cars. Drove mustangs, challengers, porsches, corvettes. Hands down, the gen5 ZL1 is the BEST muscle car I have ever driven, bar none. The jury will be out after the gen6 ZL1 comes out, but gen5 ZL1 to gen6 SS - no brainer to me.
harmonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #9
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
Wait for the 2017 ZL1 ;o) -- JK -- GREAT choice -- awesome cars for sure!

Congrats!

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #10
teddywetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonyp View Post
I just went thru the same decision. ZL1 or 2016 2SS. I didn't drive the 2SS - didn't need to. Sat in it. Teddywetts - your description is "spot on" (other than addressing your post only to men, cause us women love our fast cars too!!!)

I drove a lot of cars. Drove mustangs, challengers, porsches, corvettes. Hands down, the gen5 ZL1 is the BEST muscle car I have ever driven, bar none. The jury will be out after the gen6 ZL1 comes out, but gen5 ZL1 to gen6 SS - no brainer to me.
Whoa!! You're right I should of been more mindful that women like to drive fast cars as well. My wife will be driving the ZL1 as well. So you're saying you sat in the 16 and didn't like it?
Old 12-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #11
zl1diavolo
BlackonBlack

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I don't think you will ever look back on that decision! These cars are amazing and very easy to pull more power from, like you really need it. LOL! Congrats. Make sure you post some pics of your new beast.
zl1diavolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:40 PM   #12
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Talking

Last month I was in your same situation, on a waiting list to test drive the new 6th. gen SS, but after continue reading on how many headaches some Stingray and Chevy pickup owners had with the new A8 automatic transmission and two Stingray engines that failed during C&D test drives, I decided to go for a beautiful low miles red automatic '14 ZL1 with the incredible Recaros and with that powerful and reliable powertrain that made many ZL1 owners proud (now I'm one of them). I don't look back on my decision and do not care about the new SS generation. This car will be a classical one day and is a keeper.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:50 PM   #13
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
I'm in the same boat. I work for Chevy and drove a fully loaded '16 2SS with the 6 piston Brembo option....your description is spot on....it's an AWESOME car but VERY refined, it's not raw. I like it, it's definitely "more" car than my '14. However it is very much a different car and at $52K I'm not sold on it for what I like out of a car. That's why I'm waiting a year to save up a few more bucks and pay off a bit more on my '14 then the search is on for a '14-15 White ZL1, auto, moonroof, NAV, Recaro seats.
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #14
teddywetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostySS View Post
I'm in the same boat. I work for Chevy and drove a fully loaded '16 2SS with the 6 piston Brembo option....your description is spot on....it's an AWESOME car but VERY refined, it's not raw. I like it, it's definitely "more" car than my '14. However it is very much a different car and at $52K I'm not sold on it for what I like out of a car. That's why I'm waiting a year to save up a few more bucks and pay off a bit more on my '14 then the search is on for a '14-15 White ZL1, auto, moonroof, NAV, Recaro seats.
Ya, thanks. I do think the 16 is a very nice machine. Just not sure it scratches the same itch the 5gens do for me. I can see my rich Aunt driving the new ones lol I don't see me deviously ripping around corners in it. I also think the overall resale value will take a hit 10years from now the same way a Cadillac drops. Theres nothing sexy about a luxury car thats not up to date... However when you're screaming around in a 580+hp beast that has the front end of the ZL1 i don't think your in danger of going out of style.