Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-13-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
MrRaspberryJam

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Need some help! Newbie here

So I used to have a membership at my local car wash but not anymore. Long story short they scratched up my stripes (ended up replacing them) but no longer a member so now I go to those places where you park your car in a stall basically and they have a high pressure hose and a soap brush and all that. I can't do it at home cuz I live in California so its my last resort. Basically I need some recommendations on some GOOD towels! Every time it always happens where it just spreads the water around instead of drying the car I've used everything from a microfiber to a beach towel. So if you guys could lead me in the direction of some really good drying fowls tnat would be great!!!

Also, does anybody have any tips on vinyl cleaning or anything like that? I have stripes, wrapped roof and spoiler and can't seem to get them 100% clean (hate those damn swirl marks!!!!!!)

Anyways thanks in advances peeps

Jam on
MrRaspberryJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #2
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i get my towels from THE RAG COMPANY.made in korea.they do a great job.as far as your stripes,i just use detail spray or i also use turtle wax ice.i only use the ice on my stripe only.there are many options out there,that is just what i use.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
I use regular towels but make sure when I wash them that I don't put any fabric softener in washing machine. Only use cold water and ERA FREE

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
Botrod

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange SS Vert
I'm partial to the Adam's waffle weave drying towel. I have a few of them and they dry well. However, the real trick to drying (my opinion) is to use detail spray. a few squirts of detail spray on a wet panel and the towels dry so much better. The Rag company also has a nice selection of the waffle towels. I bought several of their pluffle towels and they absorb really well too.

As for cleaning the final stripes etc, there is a great video on the youtube channel for adam's.
. Chemical guys also has some products specific for the vinyl.
Botrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 05:44 PM   #5
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Bingo.....Great White drying towel and Detail Spray!

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...ing-towel.html

http://adamspolishes.com/shop/exteri...pray-16oz.html
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
For microfiber drying towels the best I've used are made by Microfiber Madness. The Dry Me Crazy or the Wave Rider. I don't think you can buy better. I haven't yet.

The Rag company also has good microfiber drying towels, at low prices.

The keys to keeping your microfiber towels absorbent are.

1) Wash separately (only microfiber in the load) with a dedicated microfiber cleaner, or a Free & Clear detergent. Using fabric softeners, bleach, or perfumed soaps will destroy the absorbency.

2) Always dry by air drying, or using low heat in the dryer. Don't allow microfiber to get 100% dry in the dryer. Heating up the fibers too much kills absorbency, Leave them slightly damp, then use the no heat setting to finish.

3) If you use dryer sheets in your dryer, I'd wipe down the inside of it with an IPA mixture (10%) to remove any residual softeners that remain, you don't want this in your microfiber towels, it clogs the pores.

Here's a video on the Dry Me Crazy and how to use detail spray properly when drying.

Since you have water restrictions in California, a rinseless wash is another option. I use Roshan's method and it has worked well.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 10-13-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:35 PM   #7
MrRaspberryJam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botrod View Post
I'm partial to the Adam's waffle weave drying towel. I have a few of them and they dry well. However, the real trick to drying (my opinion) is to use detail spray. a few squirts of detail spray on a wet panel and the towels dry so much better. The Rag company also has a nice selection of the waffle towels. I bought several of their pluffle towels and they absorb really well too.

As for cleaning the final stripes etc, there is a great video on the youtube channel for adam's.
. Chemical guys also has some products specific for the vinyl.
That video was awesome man thank you!!!!
Old 10-13-2015, 07:36 PM   #8
MrRaspberryJam

Thanks for all the awesome info guys thank you!!!!!