Quote:
Originally Posted by Eata34 View Post
Sounds like a NA V8 to me.
Supercharged..
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:54 PM   #16
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
I don't see Chevy getting more than 575hp out of a N/A V8 in production form. I think that a 550hp 427 would be realistic, but a DOHC Corvette hand-me-down might take the role. Either way, Chevy has invested a ton of money into new lightweight materials and there's a lot of unnecessary mass in the ZL1 1LE. Take that car and get rid of the back seats, some sound deadening, that heavy NPP exhaust/muffler, and put competition seats(just like the ones in the Corvette) up front. Then they can replace body panels and other parts with aluminum and lighter materials to maximize weight savings. Combine that with the lighter engine, and that could easily be a 3,4000 pound car. At that point, there wouldn't be much left to do other than add carbon ceramics and work on the aerodynamics. Active aerodynamic pieces could really help the car on long straights and an active splitter would really help it carry speed through corners. Of course, almost everything I just mentioned is either patented, used, or in development for the Corvette. It's funny how much American performance cars have changed...
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:27 PM   #17
KyleL

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The LT5 will likely be the 6.2 with the new 2.65 blower. At least that's my best guess. Unfortunately, Corvette dictates the V8s. GM just doesn't care otherwise. Oh
I can't wait for that blower....hopefully it'll be close to a direct swap and a more economical option over a whipple.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:19 AM   #18
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten_33 View Post
I don't see Chevy getting more than 575hp out of a N/A V8 in production form. I think that a 550hp 427 would be realistic, but a DOHC Corvette hand-me-down might take the role. Either way, Chevy has invested a ton of money into new lightweight materials and there's a lot of unnecessary mass in the ZL1 1LE. Take that car and get rid of the back seats, some sound deadening, that heavy NPP exhaust/muffler, and put competition seats(just like the ones in the Corvette) up front. Then they can replace body panels and other parts with aluminum and lighter materials to maximize weight savings. Combine that with the lighter engine, and that could easily be a 3,4000 pound car. At that point, there wouldn't be much left to do other than add carbon ceramics and work on the aerodynamics. Active aerodynamic pieces could really help the car on long straights and an active splitter would really help it carry speed through corners. Of course, almost everything I just mentioned is either patented, used, or in development for the Corvette. It's funny how much American performance cars have changed...
I am pretty sure Chevy said they will never delete the rear seats in the Camaro, bc the Corvette is their two seater. Also all of that lightweight stuff you are talking about, with a unique engine would really push the price of the car up.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:11 AM   #19
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I am pretty sure Chevy said they will never delete the rear seats in the Camaro, bc the Corvette is their two seater. Also all of that lightweight stuff you are talking about, with a unique engine would really push the price of the car up.
The engine would likely already exist for a Corvette model, so it couldn't cost any more than the LT4. As for the weight reduction, they said that they didn't take the backseats out of the ZL1 1LE because they wanted to retain practicality.
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:31 AM   #20
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten_33 View Post
The engine would likely already exist for a Corvette model, so it couldn't cost any more than the LT4. As for the weight reduction, they said that they didn't take the backseats out of the ZL1 1LE because they wanted to retain practicality.
True but IIRC someone said they didn't take the rear seats out of the 5th gen Z/28 bc of Corvette already having two seats.

But still a car with that much special stuff in it would be quite $$$
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 07:28 PM   #21
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
The ZL1 1LE is a tough act to follow. It might get an LT4 with a bigger supercharger.
Old 07-28-2017, 08:49 PM   #22
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
The GT350R has a lot of stuff added to it and only stickers for mid 60s. Unless Ford is losing their ass on each one, I don't see why the Camaro would be vastly more expensive.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:24 PM   #23
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron scubadiver View Post
The ZL1 1LE is a tough act to follow. It might get an LT4 with a bigger supercharger.
I'm no spert on this by any means but everything I have been following tells me GM will stay naturally aspirated for the Z28...really do hope they can pull a rabbit out of the hat for us.

I wouldn't be a player as the ZL1 is a better fit for me personally...just dig the idea of it happening with the current bar so high.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:22 PM   #24
SSDanny

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
Quote:
The GT350R has a lot of stuff added to it and only stickers for mid 60s. Unless Ford is losing their ass on each one, I don't see why the Camaro would be vastly more expensive.
It stickers that low, because it's just not THAT great of a car. Only thing special about it is the carbon fiber wheels and wing. Other than that, it's a mustang with a different engine and magnetic ride suspension.
SSDanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:12 PM   #25
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDanny View Post
It stickers that low, because it's just not THAT great of a car. Only thing special about it is the carbon fiber wheels and wing. Other than that, it's a mustang with a different engine and magnetic ride suspension.
And yet isn't that what the ZL1 is and the ZL1 LE - upgrades to a solid Gen 6 Chassis used for the SS and SS 1LE? Not to start a 350R war inside this thread, but you likely have never driven an R, if you feel it is "not THAT great of a car" - the 350R is a very special car, just like the Gen 5 - Z/28 - they are more than the sum of their parts. When you drive them you realize their respective mfg. got them right, for what they do.

These all (SS, SS 1LE, ZL1, ZL1 LE, GT 350, GT 350 R) offer so much value for the money they cost it is unbelievable! We are lucky to have so many great choices for fun fast cars at reasonable prices!
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:36 PM   #26
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDanny View Post
The 5.2 is an entirely unique engine, which would be a huge cost for the GT350 alone. The front radiator support is unique. The front fenders and hood are unique.

There really isn't much difference between the GT350R and Z/28, except the Z used an old engine.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:45 PM   #27
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
Quote:
The GT350R has a lot of stuff added to it and only stickers for mid 60s. Unless Ford is losing their ass on each one
They probably are which is why only 500 are made per year.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:05 AM   #28
Expunge

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6, '99 Tahoe 2Dr Sport
I think that if you look at where the 6th gen is at.. in 2 short model years GM has released the i4 Turbo, v6, v8, and vert, then ZL1 and ZL1 1LE.. their has to be another toy in their toy chest for the next 5 or so years of the 6th gen platform.

I was a doubter that their would be another Z/28, especially when you see the performance of the ZL1 1LE and the lackluster sales of the 5th gen Z/28.. but now.. I think it is a distinct possibility.

Time will tell.

Last edited by Expunge; 07-31-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Expunge is offline   Reply With Quote