Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-08-2021, 07:42 AM   #1
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Storage Unit

Was just curious, I rent a storage unit as a "3rd Stall" for my vehicles. I swap my Tahoe and Camaro as needed. The Camaro goes into the unit for winter storage. The storage unit is very close to my house and costs me $95/month to rent. I really wish I had a 3 car garage at home, but I don't. I don't like to keep my vehicles outside all day/night for many reasons so this is why I rent the unit. Do any of you do the same thing? It seems lately the more I go to the unit to swap my vehicles, the more I wonder why I bother.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 08:58 AM   #2
jmorri54

Drives: 21 Camaro RS3LT convertible
I put my Camaro convertible in a storage unit during the winter months. While it’s not like a garage at home, it does protect the vehicle from winter elements from letting it sit outside. I also have a gm car cover that I also put on it when in storage. So far it has worked out great.
jmorri54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorri54 View Post
I put my Camaro convertible in a storage unit during the winter months. While it’s not like a garage at home, it does protect the vehicle from winter elements from letting it sit outside. I also have a gm car cover that I also put on it when in storage. So far it has worked out great.
Ya, I keep mine in the storage unit during winter as well. I was more wondering if you also keep the storage unit all spring/summer/fall and swap you Camaro (when not using it) with another daily driver.
Old 09-08-2021, 10:04 AM   #4
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I an pretty OCD about my vehicles since I buy them new. Leaving anything outside for any period of time can be bad. Storm could blow up, with hail! Then what would you do, choose which one you like the least, and leave that one outside? Plus this summer the heat and humid crap lasted forever. It would be a pain to swap them all the time, but the alternative would suck beyond belief if something weather related would happen. Luckily for me I have enough bays at the house I dont have your issue.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 10:11 AM   #5
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
I an pretty OCD about my vehicles since I buy them new. Leaving anything outside for any period of time can be bad. Storm could blow up, with hail! Then what would you do, choose which one you like the least, and leave that one outside? Plus this summer the heat and humid crap lasted forever. It would be a pain to swap them all the time, but the alternative would suck beyond belief if something weather related would happen. Luckily for me I have enough bays at the house I don't have your issue.
That is exactly why I rent the storage unit year round. I just have started to question myself if it's really worth it. It really comes down to how bad I want a "fun car". I will not keep my vehicles outside either. Currently aside from any costs of the car, the storage unit is $1200/year. It's not horrible, but it's enough to consider. I keep the car for 5-10 years... That adds up.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:12 AM   #6
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Hmmm, I know which I would prefer but I also know which one I would do..lol. I'm far too cheap to pay that kind of money (per month) to rent a storage unit. That is in addition to the inconvenience of going back/forth. I also like to be able to see my car and I will occasionally tinker during the winter. My fun/nice car keeps it's spot in the garage and my everyday car gets parked in the driveway.

As you had said, $95/mo adds up after time. I would consider building a garage (at some point) if it is even feasible.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #7
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
When I was in an apartment I rented one of the garages for $100 a month. It was well worth the money as it kept the car out of the elements, had a storage place for car parts and other outside things, and gave me a place to work on the car. Luckily it was right next to my apartment, but if I had to walk a ways to it every time, it would be far less worth it IMO.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 11:34 AM   #8
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
i did that for a couple years when i lived in an apt. bought a house with a 24x32 detached garage. 13 years later i'm pining for more space. hopefully going to remedy that with a 31x31 attached garage. i'm thinking 2 post on one side & a 4 post on the other, for increased storage if nothing else.
Old 09-08-2021, 11:39 AM   #9
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
I feel for you. That does add up. I have had the its just not worth it for a "fun" car realization so many times its almost criminal. I have had 6 fun type cars in the last ten years. I get rid of them and then I just get bored. Problem is with the way things are these days, going and getting another car at a reasonable rate, or getting a deal on a leftover is now impossible.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:12 PM   #10
indy82z

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS HW Edition, 2020 LT1
I rented a garage, and later garages for years. Finally got tired of throwing away money and bought these. Wish I would have done it sooner. In a couple of years, these will pay for themselves as I have no plans on selling the cars and still need a place to store them. Makes me feel better having them all at home where I can see them anytime too!
Attached Images

2018 Camaro SS Hot Wheels Edition #838
indy82z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:12 PM   #11
sandm

Drives: no more camaro :(
when I lived in wisconsin I kept my winter saturn sc2 beater in storage all summer and then swapped it for the tige boat in the winter-had 3 car stalls but we had a boat and 3 cars. I paid around $300 for winter or summer storage- 6 month at a time and was in a 40,000sqft warehouse BUT I had NO access to either from start to end. didn't bother me for the price and summer didn't need the saturn and winter boat was bye bye.
wisco weather would keep me from parking ANYTHING nice outside in winter. summer never bothered me the few times I was too lazy to put the truck away after boating.
sandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2021, 12:23 PM   #12
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
Hmmm, I know which I would prefer but I also know which one I would do..lol. I'm far too cheap to pay that kind of money (per month) to rent a storage unit. That is in addition to the inconvenience of going back/forth. I also like to be able to see my car and I will occasionally tinker during the winter. My fun/nice car keeps it's spot in the garage and my everyday car gets parked in the driveway.

As you had said, $95/mo adds up after time. I would consider building a garage (at some point) if it is even feasible.
I already looked into this. With the city restrictions I can't. The only thing I can do to resolve my problem is move. I've been looking at a different place for a while, but the housing market is worse then the auto market. That being said, the place the wife and I live is paid for. In order to get what I'd want, I'd have to sell our place and toss in another $200k +. At my age, that just isn't reasonable, especially with my retirement goals.

I hear you though as far as what you'd prefer and which one you'd do. I think it's the same as me. I prefer to have the car and after a few years of going back and forth I finally did it. Now that being said... that part of me that is "what would I do" is starting to override. The cost of the unit is starting to get to me and my fiscal side is starting to say... Why you throwing money away.

Also.. Could I part my new '18 Tahoe in the driveway.. Ya I could... but aside from all the weather and sun reasons I don't want to... I'd always have to move it out of the way to get my car out anyway. That is a PITA all by its self.

Last edited by jamala00; 09-08-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:26 PM   #13
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
I feel for you. That does add up. I have had the its just not worth it for a "fun" car realization so many times its almost criminal. I have had 6 fun type cars in the last ten years. I get rid of them and then I just get bored. Problem is with the way things are these days, going and getting another car at a reasonable rate, or getting a deal on a leftover is now impossible.
Yep, I went back and forth on this for years. Then I told the wife when I bought the SS last spring it was a trail basis to see how much I enjoyed having the car while having to rent storage because I will NOT keep my bran new Tahoe outside all summer while use the Camaro.

I bought a new to me '18 CVO Harley Street Glide and that fits in my garage without having to rent any storage. I'm getting very tempted to see what Carmax or Vroom will give me for the SS.
Old 09-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #14
jamala00

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy82z View Post
I rented a garage, and later garages for years. Finally got tired of throwing away money and bought these. Wish I would have done it sooner. In a couple of years, these will pay for themselves as I have no plans on selling the cars and still need a place to store them. Makes me feel better having them all at home where I can see them anytime too!
That's nice! How tall are your ceilings to have something like that? I have a Tahoe, my Camaro, and my wife's Impala. So I'd have to put my Tahoe on the top and the Camaro under it so I could use my Camaro when I want, and swap them when I wanted the other. There is no way my 9' ceilings in my garage are tall enough for that. the garage door would open up into the top vehicle.