Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-16-2020, 11:56 PM   #1
donaldp

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1 M6
Shift Linkage Rattle

I have heard a rattling in my manual gear shift of my 2017 ZL1 for quite a while. Tonight I removed the boot and the rubber lower cover of the gear shift shaft and can hear loud rattling from below the tunnel.

If I press straight down on the gear shift, it stops.

Does this sound like a rattle in the linkage?
Has anyone else had this problem?
donaldp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 08:58 AM   #2
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
No donald, my 2017 ZL1 shifter doesn’t rattle. Sounds to me like the linkage rods or bushings may be worn or something else going on with the shifter. Now maybe a good time to upgrade to a Hurst shifter!��
Old 12-06-2021, 11:21 AM   #3
dangcab
Dangcab

Drives: Camaro 2017 V6 2LT RS - 6 Speed
I has the similar issue in my 2017 V6 2LT (Transmission M13), rattle and the free play in the shifters stick, I made a research and decided to upgrade to HURST Short Shifter, so, this last weekend I took the time to make the upgrade and almost at the end of the process I found that the issue has to be the bushings in the Shifter Lever Shaft Joint (Right Picture #3). My problem now is that I can't find that bushings in Internet and I have not the parts numbers and the rattle and the free play in the shifters stick continue.
Attached Images

Last edited by dangcab; 12-06-2021 at 03:57 PM.
dangcab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 07:04 PM   #4
Mellowjive

Drives: '18 RS 2LT, V6 M6, NPP, CAI, Brembo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangcab View Post
I has the similar issue in my 2017 V6 2LT (Transmission M13), rattle and the free play in the shifters stick, I made a research and decided to upgrade to HURST Short Shifter, so, this last weekend I took the time to make the upgrade and almost at the end of the process I found that the issue has to be the bushings in the Shifter Lever Shaft Joint (Right Picture #3). My problem now is that I can't find that bushings in Internet and I have not the parts numbers and the rattle and the free play in the shifters stick continue.

The bushings are now available at www.fullmetalbushing.com for your v6 and i4 model Camaros
Mellowjive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 07:08 PM   #5
Mellowjive

Not the rattle, but the play in the shifter is solved with the bushings. The rattle might be a loose shift knob

Last edited by Mellowjive; 04-07-2023 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:50 PM   #6
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Do not rest your hand on the shifter ever. Shift, let go. Only touch when shifting.

but yes need to replace parts on a car that is 5 6 7 years old.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2023, 06:12 AM   #7
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowjive View Post
The bushings are now available at www.fullmetalbushing.com for your v6 and i4 model Camaros
Ordered mine yesterday. Hope they have good instructions.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 10:37 PM   #8
Mellowjive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6cyl View Post
Ordered mine yesterday. Hope they have good instructions.
There's an overview video on youtube that shows the area to get at it and a screen you can pause with the steps. It's just a pin running through the bushings with a retainer clip on each side. I can assist you with any questions through fullmetalbushing.com contact info. There's good disassembled pics in post #36 here: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...=607655&page=3

If you already did install, how'd it go and how's it feel? Some feedback received for a buyer on ebay made my day. He was so happy to have saved almost $2k and stick it to the local "stealership."
Old 05-05-2023, 11:14 AM   #9
Ambush
Rawr!

Drives: Giulia Quadrifoglio, C8 Stingray
Experienced the exact same thing after receiving my 2018 SS years ago. Brought it back to the dealership and they resolved it under warranty.

This seems like a common issue.

Retired:
2018 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
2014 Crystal Red Camaro RS
Ambush is offline   Reply With Quote