Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Phastek Performance

Old 12-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #71
Marty McFlew
Banned

Drives: 17 SuperSport Camaro 6 on the Flo'
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Maybe I set a record. This is the 2nd time I've driven the car since driving it home initially 17 miles.

Drove up the coast today in mid 50s temps. Noticed the fan seemed to constantly be on after about 10 minutes or so. Then low gears started to feel like they grinded a bit at low rpm. Then all of a sudden I saw this:

Immediately parked the car and shut it off. Popped the hood. Zero coolant. Bought some at the 7-11 across the street. Put some in and watched it leak out the bottom of the car almost instantly.

Well I got to use my free trial of OnSTAR! Towed to the dealer. Left keys and description in night drop. I'm not certain they're even open tomorrow. I'll call and find out.
Only thing that was done to my car prior to pick up was the hood was re-aligned. Then I drove it home and then parked in underground gated garage Haven't found a TSB yet on this. Didn't notice any coolant on the floor in the parking garage when I left but didn't look. I will take a look later.

I hope this isn't my future with this car and it's a freak thing. I also hope I didn't damage the engine. But I did shut kill it once I saw the warning.
Overheating and leaking in a brand new car. I would have turned it back on until the engine got damaged just so I could get a new car, because you may have already reduced the engine life by overheating. Why wonder when they should just give you a new car.
Marty McFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #72
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT1Greg View Post
Well I don't think you will get a new car even if you were to ask! Your Camaro will be okay. After you get it back if I were you I would keep a check on the antifreeze and oil levels for a while. It was wise for you to shut it off when the DIC lit up and wait for the tow truck. Good luck!
The fact that the car began to drag very well could mean engine damage.
Old 12-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #73
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty McFlew View Post
Overheating and leaking in a brand new car. I would have turned it back on until the engine got damaged just so I could get a new car, because you may have already reduced the engine life by overheating. Why wonder when they should just give you a new car.
That is one of the dumbest things I have heard recently. You do know that once you sign the paperwork you own the vehicle, no matter what. So to push the vehicle harder and force destructive damage under the guise that you are going to get another vehicle is not the best thing to do.

Once that paperwork is signed the dealer is under no obligation to take the vehicle back, they are only required to act as a mediator for the manufacture and to repair the vehicle back to OEM specs. If that means new coolant and hoses that is it, if GM approves a new engine then that is it.

GM will not up front offer to take the car back and neither will the dealer. Even in this case for the OP, it takes about 6 months or more to get thru the GM buyback process and that is even if GM will offer a full on buyback, sometimes they only offer trade assistance in which the dealer that is involved has to agree to accept the involved vehicle as a trade in towards another vehicle. If the dealer wont offer to help then you don't even have the trade assistance option.

The OP did the right thing, shut the vehicle down as soon as a safely possible and let the dealer sort it out.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #74
Marty McFlew
Banned

OK ...just read the Ops' update on still leaking after being told fixed and come get it. All I have to say is........
Let me guess...the dealer is....."ACME Chevrolet" Propietors are Moe, larry and Curly of 3 Stooges LLC.

Last edited by Marty McFlew; 12-28-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:21 PM   #75
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
There won't be if it's in relationhip to when I got the warning. Because I turned it off almost instantly. Was in a location where there I could just pull into a parking spot and shut it off, which I did.

I've heard from sales manager saying he was going to look into it. Same with GM. That was hours ago. Nothing since. You think the service department contacted me today with any kind of status? Nope.
Those with Gen 5 V6 engines will tell you that their cars will run so low on oil that cause engine damage yet no oil light ever came on to warn them or if it did com on it was already dangerously low and causing damage. So I have little faith in some of warning lights.

Last edited by Marty McFlew; 12-28-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #76
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
dealer called back. said water pump was leaking. putting a new one in. so bad water pump and wrong hose installed on radiator on brand new car. they're going to install and test car tomorrow.

sales mgr said he'll take the car back if I still don't want it after tomorrow. I don't think I do.

They probably installed the V6 water pump on the SS and hooked the vacuum hoses to the radiator.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #77
Marty McFlew
Banned

Quote:
dealer called back. said water pump was leaking. putting a new one in. so bad water pump and wrong hose installed on radiator on brand new car. they're going to install and test car tomorrow.

sales mgr said he'll take the car back if I still don't want it after tomorrow. I don't think I do.

Dump it, go to another dealer and get another.
Old 12-28-2016, 04:18 PM   #78
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I've been here on camaro5 for over 8 years now and I don't remember so many problems with
the new 5th Gen Camaros as I see now with the 6th Gen. Am I wrong about this or is the new
Camaro more troublesome than in 2009?
Old 12-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #79
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Gen sales mgr at the dealer is being forthright about it and providing good customer service as far as I'm concerned. The car is still in service as of right now being addressed. If they fix it and it's good as new and they sell it to someone else, hopefully it will be problem free. Who knows.
I'm going in there later to finalize things and get my refund.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:16 PM   #80
16Panther

Drives: 2016 RS
Are you going to give them another shot with another car?
You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your f@rking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

- Chuck Palahniuk
16Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:18 PM   #81
kidamer

Drives: 2016 2ss camaro
eh about the same
kidamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:27 PM   #82
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Panther View Post
Are you going to give them another shot with another car?
Not once in my conversation with the gen sales mgr did he mention anything about putting me in another vehicle or even suggest it and nether did I. It's been more on the lines of "we'll make this one right" or we can just unwind the deal.

And it makes no difference anyway. I have no interest in another Chevy at the moment.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:58 PM   #83
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Quote:
Not once in my conversation with the gen sales mgr did he mention anything about putting me in another vehicle or even suggest it and nether did I. It's been more on the lines of "we'll make this one right" or we can just unwind the deal.

And it makes no difference anyway. I have no interest in another Chevy at the moment.
I know they are taking care of it, but I would be with the OP here, at least with that dealership anyway. The initial issue was bad enough, the fact that they had him there to pick it up and it wasn't fixed is another entirely. How far would he have made it down the road before it was overheating again - resulting in another tow, another headache, another worry.

Hopefully, when the dust settles, the OP will give the Camaro another shot at a dealership he can be comfortable with.
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:57 PM   #84
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I've been here on camaro5 for over 8 years now and I don't remember so many problems with
the new 5th Gen Camaros as I see now with the 6th Gen. Am I wrong about this or is the new
Camaro more troublesome than in 2009?
I have owned both a Gen 5 and Gen 6 now. I feel the design of the gen 6 seems very good but the quality control has been below average.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote