Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-27-2016, 07:56 PM   #57
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfizer View Post
You are lucky buddy! ask them to give to you another car period! do not hesitate! once a motor overheat even one time forget it!! there is some damages that probably will show up in a year around depending the frequency you drive it.
Either another car or not. Not sure yet. Also was the oil pressure of around 11psi when the alert came on. I didn't check/notice the level before it overheated. Just only noticed it at 11 when I got the alert...didn't get around to checking the oil level. But usually pressure shouldn't be that low even without coolant.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 08:36 PM   #58
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
High engine temp, low oil pressure..... even for a couple seconds you could have scorched cylinder walls, seals, gaskets..... return it to the dealer. And for the sake of the next owner I hope that dealer replaces the engine.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 09:05 PM   #59
jeverton

Drives: 2017 Camaro 50th Anniversary 2SS
It's great to hear the dealership stepping up and supporting you! All to often this doesn't happen. Keep us posted on the final outcome.
jeverton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 10:28 PM   #60
mekirk2

Drives: 2016 2SS Ragtop Garnet Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hello cbr1100xx,

I’ve read through your thread and am sorry to learn of the difficulty you’ve experienced so early in your Camaro ownership. I understand how upsetting this may be as you want to be able to enjoy your car.

We would like to provide another layer of assistance with the dealership while repairing your car. Please send us your VIN, full contact information, and dealership name in a private message so we can help in the best way possible.

Steph B
Chevrolet Customer Care
This makes me, as a spectator to all this, feel much better about my purchase. Thank you Steph B for stepping in.
mekirk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 11:08 PM   #61
NCSD

Drives: Nightfall, 2SS, A8, MRC, NPP,RE-71R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hello cbr1100xx,

I’ve read through your thread and am sorry to learn of the difficulty you’ve experienced so early in your Camaro ownership. I understand how upsetting this may be as you want to be able to enjoy your car.

We would like to provide another layer of assistance with the dealership while repairing your car. Please send us your VIN, full contact information, and dealership name in a private message so we can help in the best way possible.

Steph B
Chevrolet Customer Care
Good to see this kind of support from GM and the dealer. I would be stressed out if this was my car.
NCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:02 AM   #62
Snowblind

Drives: '16 2SS / '05 SRT10 Ram / '65 bu
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD View Post
Give it back and get a new one. Never know what is going on internally. Good luck.
+1

Sorry to hear about what you are going thru.

Aluminum blocks/aluminum heads don't like to be overheated, I would walk away.

Good luck
Old 12-28-2016, 02:04 AM   #63
solobaric

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Seems a little ridiculous that this is 2017 MY car and we're still seeing quality control issues like this popping up. Anyone else think it seems excessive at this point?
Old 12-28-2016, 06:52 AM   #64
Software Guy

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2000 Trans Am Firehawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by solobaric View Post
Seems a little ridiculous that this is 2017 MY car and we're still seeing quality control issues like this popping up. Anyone else think it seems excessive at this point?
You are only seeing a very small percentage of people complaining. I have no issues with my 17.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:38 AM   #65
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
You have to understand, humans put together at least 80% of the vehicle. There is tons of room for errors. I worked on a GM assembly line for 2 years, seen my fair share of it. Case in point as an example.

My job on the line was to put the lower radiator hose on the cars and secure a transmission cooler line. On average the car was moving by you and in your work area for around 50 seconds. You get very good and efficient at your job because if you mess it up or miss something and they have to stop the line it isn't good for you as a worker.

Anyways doing my job and the line supervisor comes over and rips on me saying I forgot to put the lower radiator hose on a couple of cars and that they failed the vacuum fill coolant process. There was no way I forgot, just not the type of person I am. So after that I started checking how secure the hoses were after I put them on. Ended up finding some defective lower radiator hoses that were not in spec. The hose was too big and the rubber was super slick, even with the clamp on tight you could pull the hose off.

So something that was blamed on me ended up being a supplier issue. So stuff happens, daily and more than people think. There is only so much the final assembly inspection workers can do to try and catch things.

As far as the OP goes if the engine was shut down early it will be fine, 11psi of oil pressure under light throttle and or coasting is plenty to keep metal off of metal in the engine. I am almost for sure that the fail safe protocol in the engine will shut the engine off if oil pressure drops fully or coolant temps get over a max point. GM uses several oil pressure sensors and they are tied to the fuel system, if you loose oil pressure the ECM cuts fuel to save the engine.

If the dealer swaps the car out for him then good deal, it is the dealer stepping up and doing the right thing. In reality the dealer doesn't have to, all they have to do is provide the failure information to GM and wait for GM to say either replace parts and get the vehicle back on the road or to replace the engine and get the vehicle back on the road, GM wont just offer up to take the vehicle back. I know this personally and have been down this road with GM recently, it takes an act of Congress to get a GM manufacture buyback.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:36 AM   #66
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
You have to understand, humans put together at least 80% of the vehicle. There is tons of room for errors. I worked on a GM assembly line for 2 years, seen my fair share of it. Case in point as an example.

My job on the line was to put the lower radiator hose on the cars and secure a transmission cooler line. On average the car was moving by you and in your work area for around 50 seconds. You get very good and efficient at your job because if you mess it up or miss something and they have to stop the line it isn't good for you as a worker.

Anyways doing my job and the line supervisor comes over and rips on me saying I forgot to put the lower radiator hose on a couple of cars and that they failed the vacuum fill coolant process. There was no way I forgot, just not the type of person I am. So after that I started checking how secure the hoses were after I put them on. Ended up finding some defective lower radiator hoses that were not in spec. The hose was too big and the rubber was super slick, even with the clamp on tight you could pull the hose off.

So something that was blamed on me ended up being a supplier issue. So stuff happens, daily and more than people think. There is only so much the final assembly inspection workers can do to try and catch things.

As far as the OP goes if the engine was shut down early it will be fine, 11psi of oil pressure under light throttle and or coasting is plenty to keep metal off of metal in the engine. I am almost for sure that the fail safe protocol in the engine will shut the engine off if oil pressure drops fully or coolant temps get over a max point. GM uses several oil pressure sensors and they are tied to the fuel system, if you loose oil pressure the ECM cuts fuel to save the engine.

If the dealer swaps the car out for him then good deal, it is the dealer stepping up and doing the right thing. In reality the dealer doesn't have to, all they have to do is provide the failure information to GM and wait for GM to say either replace parts and get the vehicle back on the road or to replace the engine and get the vehicle back on the road, GM wont just offer up to take the vehicle back. I know this personally and have been down this road with GM recently, it takes an act of Congress to get a GM manufacture buyback.
Good insight. It sounds like more inspection and testing is required as the cars go down the assembly line. Regardless, with the thousands of parts that go into cars it is amazing that they are as reliable as they are.

Although I am annoyed about this trans cooler line recall I have on my car. I mean, having a bolt rub against the line sounds more design related...
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #67
cbr1100xx
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 Jetta 1.8, '19 1SS
Quote:

As far as the OP goes if the engine was shut down early it will be fine, 11psi of oil pressure under light throttle and or coasting is plenty to keep metal off of metal in the engine.
Except adjusting the hose on the radiator didn't fix the issue. It kept leaking. The dealer said the water pump is leaking and they're putting a new one in today I believe.

As far as oil pressure goes, I don't know how long the psi was that low in the 15-20 minutes I was driving it. I honestly didn't pay attention as no alerts came up for oil pressure.

I certainly wasn't coasting or being light on the throttle though. I was breaking it in and varying the rpm and not being shy about giving it gas. No WOT or anything but I wasn't babying the car too much either.
cbr1100xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #68
solobaric

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Quote:

I'll agree with some of what you're saying, but not all. I do work on the assembly line for another major automobile manufacturer. I'm seeing issues pop up over and over again on the forums that are an engineering issue that need to be fixed. Some of these are assembly line related but most are not. We are over 1 year into a new MY on the Camaro and the stuff that is still popping up now is unbelievable.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:59 AM   #69
activepat

Drives: Red Hot SS 1LE
Quote:
I find it as just life. Nothing is perfect.
activepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #70
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
I was following your original thread and how excited you were to get the car. A shame this happened.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote