Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-29-2021, 09:26 AM   #15
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
While I'm driving in Tour mode, I set the cruise and choose my lane. All is good. I switch to Track mode and the chattering starts. I switch back to Tour mode and it doesn't change. This is due to limitations in how MRC works and what it can and can't do. In other words, while in motion, once the issue has started (this specific case), the only way to correct is to switch OUT of Track mode, slow way down to allow the damping rate to actually change, then speed back up.
Sounds like you are saying you can switch MRC modes at speed via the console switch, but the setting won't take effect until you reduce speed. I have not heard of this. Do you know the speed thresholds involved?

This is from the 2017 manual, and is the closest thing I could find that gets at what you are saying, but it only mentions shift points:
While in the Sport and/or Track
Modes, the vehicle monitors driving
behavior and automatically enables
Performance Shift Features when
spirited driving is detected. These
features maintain lower
transmission gears to increase
available engine braking and
improve acceleration response. The
vehicle will exit these features and
return to normal operation after a
short period when no spirited driving
is detected.

EDIT: Here is some info from GM. Most interesting tab is the "History" tab, which mentions the changes made for 3rd gen MRC. Nothing there really about any kind of latency.
https://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/general-motors-technology/gm-chassis-suspension-technology/gm-magnetic-ride-control-technology/

Last edited by ctrlz; 11-29-2021 at 10:05 AM.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:09 AM   #16
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlz View Post
Sounds like you are saying you can switch MRC modes at speed via the console switch, but the setting won't take effect until you reduce speed. I have not heard of this. Do you know the speed thresholds involved?

This is from the 2017 manual, and is the closest thing I could find that gets at what you are saying, but it only mentions shift points:
While in the Sport and/or Track
Modes, the vehicle monitors driving
behavior and automatically enables
Performance Shift Features when
spirited driving is detected. These
features maintain lower
transmission gears to increase
available engine braking and
improve acceleration response. The
vehicle will exit these features and
return to normal operation after a
short period when no spirited driving
is detected.
It's more like "it may not substantially change" until you change speeds. The specific scenario I was encountering resulted in the suspension sort of "chattering" a bit (closest I can think of to describe it). Switching to Tour mode didn't have a big impact because of the exact rate at which the sensors were being triggered and adjustments being made. Slowing down allowed the sensors to see a change in the inputs and have an impact on the adjustments.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:32 AM   #17
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
Quote:
It's more like "it may not substantially change" until you change speeds. The specific scenario I was encountering resulted in the suspension sort of "chattering" a bit (closest I can think of to describe it). Switching to Tour mode didn't have a big impact because of the exact rate at which the sensors were being triggered and adjustments being made. Slowing down allowed the sensors to see a change in the inputs and have an impact on the adjustments.

My car is a manual so that wouldn't apply for me. Plus I have always been able to make my selections of suspension modes at any speed.
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 08:32 AM   #18
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilly Welson View Post
My car is a manual so that wouldn't apply for me. Plus I have always been able to make my selections of suspension modes at any speed.
My car is also a manual, and it 100% applies.

You are not able to change the suspension mode when the car is in motion. You can change the DRIVE MODE, which may have suspension settings tied to it. But, you are also changing other characteristics about the car at the same time.

To change ONLY the suspension settings, you have to have the car parked and make the change through the Infotainment system.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:32 PM   #19
Nilly Welson

Quote:
My car is also a manual, and it 100% applies.

You are not able to change the suspension mode when the car is in motion. You can change the DRIVE MODE, which may have suspension settings tied to it. But, you are also changing other characteristics about the car at the same time.

To change ONLY the suspension settings, you have to have the car parked and make the change through the Infotainment system.

I've change mine many time while going down the road with no problem and you can immediately feel it tighten or smooth out depending on the selection.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:35 PM   #20
Nilly Welson

UPDATE: Took to dealer today and they found I have a bad rear right shock. I will have both sides replaced when the part comes in. The cost is $1650! My extended warranty covers all suspension parts except the shocks. Car has just over 50k miles.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:51 PM   #21
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
UPDATE: Took to dealer today and they found I have a bad rear right shock. I will have both sides replaced when the part comes in. The cost is $1650! My extended warranty covers all suspension parts except the shocks. Car has just over 50k miles.
Do you have the resources to replace them yourself?

https://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=3353478&parttype=7556

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:20 AM   #22
Nilly Welson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Do you have the resources to replace them yourself?

https://www.rockauto.com/?carcode=3353478&parttype=7556

Nope...no place to do it. I could order my own set, but I;m sure the dealer would say they cant warranty it if it goes bad next week.

Last edited by Nilly Welson; 12-01-2021 at 12:30 AM. Reason: r
Old 12-01-2021, 03:42 PM   #23
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Nope...no place to do it. I could order my own set, but I;m sure the dealer would say they cant warranty it if it goes bad next week.
Yeah you’re probably right. Even with it being a GM part the dealer would either deny the warranty or not do the install at all.

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:10 PM   #24
Nilly Welson

UPDATE

Had both rear shocks replaced today. Dealer charged me parts and labor $1500. Not bad after they quoted me $1600. Right rear had totally failed. Feels like new again. Track, Sport and Tour modes now feels like Night, Noon and Day.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:01 PM   #25
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
How did they discover the bad shock?
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:32 PM   #26
Nilly Welson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
How did they discover the bad shock?

The right side was leaking oil. Once one shock fails Magnaride shuts down and the whole car rides stiff. No error codes though.
Old 12-08-2021, 07:32 PM   #27
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
Thanks for the reply. Seems that i can tell no difference in the different modes. Is it a clear distinction between the modes?
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:51 AM   #28
Nilly Welson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
Thanks for the reply. Seems that i can tell no difference in the different modes. Is it a clear distinction between the modes?

If the shock is bad Magride shuts down and feels harder than track mode. Once fixed there is a definate difference in the 3 modes.