Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-04-2021, 06:41 PM   #71
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
You're right, there is no "valve cooking" issue, but over the long term there may be a valve coking issue, which is what we are discussing here...
I’m spending too much time sitting, guess I better stand up and grab some sweet desert to help focus.

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:43 PM   #72
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaxas View Post
I’m spending too much time sitting, guess I better stand up and grab some sweet desert to help focus.
Be careful, the desert can be hot and you might get dehydrated, you'd be better off to get some nice cold ice cream for dessert instead of heading for the desert!
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:27 AM   #73
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Port Injected engines have fuel washing over the intake valves (which can dissolve and clean the deposits), so that is actually a VERY big difference from our Direct Injection engines.
To be clear, I am talking about once the mixture enters the combustion chamber. The valve coking has already been addressed with various pictures of people's engines, so make your own judgment there.

After the mixture enters the combustion chamber, it's about the deposit left on the piston, around the piston(the compression rings and oil control ring), and the exhaust system, namely the narrowband O2 sensors and the catalytic converters. That's where I think PI and DI would be pretty similar without a catch can.

One thing that may be different is the oil quality, but that's pretty easy to determine with a UOA or just a quick sniff of the oil dipstick to see if there is too much gas and other junk in the oil.

Quote:
I think the word here is "nuance" and not "empathy".

Buddy I've already stated that valve cooking is not an issue, I've literally answered your question 2 or 3 times already, the question is not if there is valve cooking or not, it's not an absolute, there is no valve cooking issue, I REPEAT, THERE IS NO VALVE COOKING ISSUE, this is your own statement and me and others agree to it; it's not a white and black argument of is there/there isn't, it's a nuanced argument that IT HELPS and HOW MUCH, this is the point I'm trying to get across, you don't lack empathy because your argument is never combative and dismissive, but you fail to understand what we're trying to communicate and still say "but there's no valve cooking issue", which is why you still hang on to it and can't see past that to what we're trying to say.
So for the people who moved on from valve coking, what other aspects do a catch can help?

Quote:
This is sadly the case with most people and ultimately shows in the country, "my side" and "the other side(s)", there is never an in-between, there is never nuance and people can't look past the fence that divides, polarization is the bane of discussions.
But with a catch can, there isn't really a middle ground, other than just understanding where the other side is coming from.

You either buy and install one or you don't. The EV issue is different since hybrids and/or owning multiple cars with different propulsion techs are in-between solutions. It's not like you can just buy a catch can and attach half of the hoses, LOL.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 01:09 PM   #74
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
To be clear, I am talking about once the mixture enters the combustion chamber. The valve coking has already been addressed with various pictures of people's engines, so make your own judgment there.

After the mixture enters the combustion chamber, it's about the deposit left on the piston, around the piston(the compression rings and oil control ring), and the exhaust system, namely the narrowband O2 sensors and the catalytic converters. That's where I think PI and DI would be pretty similar without a catch can.

One thing that may be different is the oil quality, but that's pretty easy to determine with a UOA or just a quick sniff of the oil dipstick to see if there is too much gas and other junk in the oil.

So for the people who moved on from valve coking, what other aspects do a catch can help?

But with a catch can, there isn't really a middle ground, other than just understanding where the other side is coming from.

You either buy and install one or you don't. The EV issue is different since hybrids and/or owning multiple cars with different propulsion techs are in-between solutions. It's not like you can just buy a catch can and attach half of the hoses, LOL.
I think the main issue that a catch can is trying to address is keeping oil and other crap out of the intake and off the valves (reduce valve coking), this much more so than out of the combustion chamber and beyond,,,
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 06:37 PM   #75
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
About 1000 miles worth.
Name:  D76DC16F-65AB-488D-8F8B-121C6B408AC8.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  239.0 KB
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 08:19 PM   #76
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
About 1000 miles worth.
Attachment 1088114
Haters will say that it has no sugar therefore it ain't bad

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 08:57 PM   #77
wavsine
________/\_

Drives: Gen6 NGM RS
Send a message via Yahoo to wavsine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devstrike View Post
I can't remember if was in a facebook group or here but I remember someone with well over 100k miles took apart their motor and he didn't have a catch can. Everything looked not bad at all I was considering one but after seeing that I decided not too.
You have to know the back story of the guys car to know. Running at high revs on the highway (Italian tuneup) and using low NOACK synthetic oil can help cut down on intake valve carbon deposits.

I would not run a catch can on a GM vehicle that is still under warranty. They might say the can caused an engine problem even if it did not.
wavsine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 09:13 PM   #78
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
You have to know the back story of the guys car to know. Running at high revs on the highway (Italian tuneup) and using low NOACK synthetic oil can help cut down on intake valve carbon deposits.

I would not run a catch can on a GM vehicle that is still under warranty. They might say the can caused an engine problem even if it did not.
I agree… I’ve been told by three local dealers they would not cover engine issues if I had a catch can installed.

Before someone goes down the road of they can’t do that because of blah blah blah law. You’re going to have to foot the bill on the repair while you spend money on an attorney to fight it or let the car sit on the lot broke while you spend money on legal fees to force the repair, it’s not worth it to me. I will pass on the catch can.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 12-25-2021 at 10:08 PM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 09:34 PM   #79
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Haters will say that it has no sugar therefore it ain't bad
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:04 AM   #80
Dave777

Drives: 1985 Z28
If you believe in catch cans buy and install it.

If you don’t believe in a catch can don’t buy one.
Dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:36 AM   #81
Altered Carbon
Ghost Spawn

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Altered Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 01:22 PM   #82
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave777 View Post
If you believe in catch cans buy and install it.

If you don’t believe in a catch can don’t buy one.
Belief doesn't play a role here IMO, it's more about individual thresholds of utility and peace of mind.

Catch cans undeniably help, and some ("believers" in your terminology) consider the amount they do sufficient to risk potential warranty repair issues and to invest $100-200-300 into them, while others ("non-believers") deem that extent irrelevant and appreciate their lower immediate risk level more.

All down to individual preferences, which is why in this day and age it's nigh impossible to end a catch can debate, when so many have this "my way or the highway" approach to others' preferences.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 04:29 PM   #83
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
My 2 Cents - first of all why manufacturers don’t install catch cans on all cars. The average owner does not have the ability to check and service the unit.

Does everyone need a catch can? Owners that don’t plan on keeping their car long term don’t need one.

The Gen 6 Camaro’s have an oil separator not a built in Catch Can. The oil separator takes both valve cover breather holes and routes them back to the oil separator to which in turn then sends the vapours into the air intake (which dirty your throttle body & your engine) and here’s where the EPA mandates you to burn off the excess oil vapours in name of a clean environment.

Back in the day before the EPA mandate a system like this we used to slap on air breathers on the valve covers to use as crankcase pressure relief. Now you can buy a catch can and basically clean the vapours with the catch can and reintroduce a cleaner version back into your engine with a lot less vapours.

Drag racers do a different version. I use a Mighty Mouse Catch Can and I employ a system which makes both sides dirty. My valve cover breather holes are both sent to my might catch can and I use the top filter as a blow off value in case to much crank case pressure is built up. I don’t introduce any oil vapours back into my engine. I cap the intake manifold that most catch cans reintroduce the basically cleaned vapours from the catch can. The might mouse catch can I have is basically gutted to support two dirt sides going into the can and just used as a blow off valve in my case.

But remember all companies sell there products for profit to make money off you and will tell you that you need one and theirs is the best. It’s a simple device that works and helps your engine last longer. I would not get the cheapest version because of how it’s made is important to me and I would want a reliable one that also looks good if your into that.

This is my take on the great catch can debate. Just my opinion and experience to date.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote