Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-04-2021, 11:56 AM   #1
Yang N’ Bang
17’ Hyper Blue 2SS

Drives: 17’ Camaro 2SS
Radar detector & dash cam in 1? Good, bad, indifferent vs just a radar detector?

As the post reads, I’m in the market for a new detector, and a 2 in 1 with a dash cam would be nice to replace me mounting the go pro every time. What’s everyone’s recommendations and what brands should be avoided (generic autoparts store bs detectors are out of course). Thanks!
Yang N’ Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:59 AM   #2
Yang N’ Bang
17’ Hyper Blue 2SS

Drives: 17’ Camaro 2SS
What I’m looking at currently:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cobra-e...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Yang N’ Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:14 PM   #3
ZL1plumbin

Drives: ZL1 1LE on order
Allegedly I might have a V1 in every vehicle I own. A lot of people think the second you have a detector it means you’re up to no good. I have lots of varying speed limits by me. Sometimes changing without any or very little signage. Example.
55mph down to 25mph in the blink of an eye. Nice to actually have a chance vs getting a ticket for 20 over…

With that said I’ve been avoiding dash cams. At least for now. Correct me if I’m wrong but the footage can be used against you also if something happened. I don’t personally like that part of it lol.
ZL1plumbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:10 PM   #4
lcd550

Drives: '17 2LT/RS 2.0T M6 50th Anniv Vert
I just purchased a Thinkware Q800 Pro dash cam; read great reviews on this unit. Got a great Black Friday deal.

I realize it can be used against me as well but over a period of two weeks had two separate incidents. Door ding (actual crease on my rear fender) while parked and a driver running a red light when I was making a left turn on a green arrow.

Car is still in the body shop and will be installing hopefully in a couple of weeks.
lcd550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:34 PM   #5
JKSully

Drives: 22 Camaro 2SS, 20 Subaru Crosstrek
I have never owned a radar detector, so I can't weigh in on the benefits of them - but in general I try to avoid buying any electronic device that serves two different specific purposes. They usually don't do either as well as the standalone versions, and while they're usually cheaper that two separate dedicated devices, they end up being more expensive if one function stops working and you have to replace both. YMMV, of course.

The one argument in their favor in a car with limited real estate like our Camaros is they will take up less space overall and you only have to find one mount.

2022 | 2SS | M6 | NPP | Summit White | Carbon Flash Wheels | Black Lugs | Red Calipers | Adrenaline Red | Red Knee Pads | Nav |
- 1100 - 8/16/21
- 3000 - 9/21/21 - TPW 10/18/21
- 3400 - 10/1/21
- 3800 - 10/20/21 - built 10/19/21
- 5000 - 11/12/21
- 6000 - 11/13/21
JKSully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 06:59 PM   #6
Cptchris

Drives: Camaro 2019 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcd550 View Post
I just purchased a Thinkware Q800 Pro dash cam; read great reviews on this unit. Got a great Black Friday deal.

I realize it can be used against me as well but over a period of two weeks had two separate incidents. Door ding (actual crease on my rear fender) while parked and a driver running a red light when I was making a left turn on a green arrow.

Car is still in the body shop and will be installing hopefully in a couple of weeks.

So you didn’t catch the person that dinged your car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cptchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:11 PM   #7
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang N’ Bang View Post
I would suggest getting a standalone dash cam and look up what sort of detectors the police force you have around are using, most of them have already transitioned to laser detectors which are instant and a radar detector won't help you, they're also prone to false positives.

Ideally, you want a laser scrambler, it'll detect when you're getting hit by a laser detector, return a jank reading to the officer and allow you to slow down to the speed limit before returning a constant reading, however, this is considerably more expensive.

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:23 PM   #8
ZL1plumbin

Drives: ZL1 1LE on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaxas View Post
I would suggest getting a standalone dash cam and look up what sort of detectors the police force you have around are using, most of them have already transitioned to laser detectors which are instant and a radar detector won't help you, they're also prone to false positives.

Ideally, you want a laser scrambler, it'll detect when you're getting hit by a laser detector, return a jank reading to the officer and allow you to slow down to the speed limit before returning a constant reading, however, this is considerably more expensive.
Laser jammers are illegal in every state I believe.
They have laser jammer detectors if that makes sense. Put it this way, you get caught it’s a major offense.

Yes The guys on the side of the road with a laser gun aiming at a specific car have a laser. Not while they’re driving. Most police cars drive around with front/rear facing radar. 99% of people get popped just buy them driving by you on the opposite side of the road and reading your speed.

Valentine one and passport do not give false positives. I can tell instantly if it’s a cop or a door from a strip mall if I’m driving in the parking lot.

Worth their weight in Gold.
Blendmount is what you want for the mount.
ZL1plumbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:28 PM   #9
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1plumbin View Post
Laser jammers are illegal in every state I believe.
They have laser jammer detectors if that makes sense. Put it this way, you get caught it’s a major offense.

Yes The guys on the side of the road with a laser gun aiming at a specific car have a laser. Not while they’re driving. Most police cars drive around with front/rear facing radar. 99% of people get popped just buy them driving by you on the opposite side of the road and reading your speed.

Valentine one and passport do not give false positives. I can tell instantly if it’s a cop or a door from a strip mall if I’m driving in the parking lot.

Worth their weight in Gold.
Blendmount is what you want for the mount.
Quote:
Laser jammers are legal in states except for California, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, and Virginia. They are also illegal in Washington, D.C.
Not all, but a decent amount, you're probably confusing it with RADIO jammers, those are highly illegal and they are a felony indeed.

I did not know about laser jammer detector, will have to look into it, but I also forgot to mention that the better laser jammers also have radar detectors too if I recall.

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote