Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-04-2021, 10:36 AM   #1
TechTonic

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE HBM
17 1LE - Front suspension new 'thunk' sound when hitting bumps

I did a search but didn't have anything come up.

Background: 2017 SS 1LE with stock suspension (for now, I have Pro-Kits on the way right now from Phastek). Car is new-to-me as of 6 months ago. 19K miles on it so far. It doesn't appear that it was ever abused.

Issue: As of yesterday whenever I go over a bump (especially one that also enacts a bit of lateral force) I will hear a loud 'thunk' sound coming from (what I think is) the front left suspension. The vibration also transmits through the steering wheel.

Today I removed the LF wheel and inspected the suspension and did not see anything amiss. Nothing appeared loose, no leaks, or indications of parts rubbing. The springs still appear well-seated in struts, and the struts are fully torqued and seated into the strut tower. I pulled and pushed on various parts including the connection to the steering rack to see if there was any play or sounds and there was none... but the sound is still there.

Unfortunately it's kind of miserable weather here in Houston today so I couldn't fully examine everything (including the actual steering rack). Does anyone know of any known issues with the front suspension or steering rack that I should investigate?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-04-2021, 10:40 AM   #2
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Did you check the front way bar end links and the tightness of the nuts?
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #3
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
check endlinks
Old 06-04-2021, 01:27 PM   #4
TechTonic

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Did you check the front way bar end links and the tightness of the nuts?
I did a quick visual check, stuck a socket on it and checked it was tight, and I pulled on it to see if there was any slack and didn't feel any. I didn't, however, do anything beyond a cursory check. I didn't take put a jack under the lower control arm to put weight on it to simulate the real loads it would encounter to see if I could see anything odd moving about. Again, it's rainy and so the surface of the driveway and garage is somewhat wet and I wasn't comfortable being under the car with jack stands on a wet surface and me yanking and pulling on things. But I'll double check those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
check endlinks
I'll do that for sure!

But there's nothing that either of you know of with the Camaro front suspension that's like, "Oh, it's a known issue with the <insert suspension part here>."
Old 06-04-2021, 01:32 PM   #5
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTonic View Post
I did a quick visual check, stuck a socket on it and checked it was tight, and I pulled on it to see if there was any slack and didn't feel any. I didn't, however, do anything beyond a cursory check. I didn't take put a jack under the lower control arm to put weight on it to simulate the real loads it would encounter to see if I could see anything odd moving about. Again, it's rainy and so the surface of the driveway and garage is somewhat wet and I wasn't comfortable being under the car with jack stands on a wet surface and me yanking and pulling on things. But I'll double check those things.

I'll do that for sure!

But there's nothing that either of you know of with the Camaro front suspension that's like, "Oh, it's a known issue with the <insert suspension part here>."

yup known issue lol see here

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...light=endlinks
Old 06-04-2021, 01:32 PM   #6
Scargoes

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS 1LE
It's a known issue that sway bar endlinks come loose on the camaro. Check the torque on the upper and lower nuts of each endlink.

1:34.20 Willow Springs Big Track
Scargoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:44 PM   #7
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTonic View Post

I'll do that for sure!

Front sway bar endlink nuts being loose and causing such a noise is the only "known issue".

If it isn't that, let's start with:
1. Do you know if the previous owner tracked the car?
2. Do you know what state/area the previous owner lived (road conditions)?
3. So, you've had the car 6-months and just the other day it started doing this?

A long-shot thought I have is this: check the front caliper. Inspect the brake pads, the the securing pins, anti-rattle spring and center-support bolt are tight... I have had loose calipers, loose brake pads and loose guide-pins/securing pins give weird clunks over bumps in the past. Tru, you'd head something on light/mild brake apply, but, like I said... "long-shot".
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 06:20 AM   #8
my3sons_nh

Drives: 2018 2SS A8 Convertible Garnet Red
Just brought my '18 2SS to the dealer for a sickening crunch/clunk sound, drivers side front...

Before I brought it in I removed both wheels, compared sides, and looks as if the drivers shock boot cover separated from it's base and to my novice eye the spring "appears" to be cracked which could be the source of the "crunch".

Just over 10K miles... We'll see what they say...
Attached Images

my3sons_nh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 08:28 AM   #9
mrgoodbytes

Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3sons_nh View Post
and to my novice eye the spring "appears" to be cracked which could be the source of the "crunch".

The more I look on the photo you posted, the more the crack in the spring looks like some kind of gunk or road debris.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:08 PM   #10
my3sons_nh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgoodbytes View Post
The more I look on the photo you posted, the more the crack in the spring looks like some kind of gunk or road debris.
Hmm... It might be as I didn't notice it after I took the photo, put the wheel back on and took it to the dealer. Initial tech diag is an issue on the passengers side strut/hub/knuckle bent (?), I definitely felt it on the drivers side. I don't recall hitting anything BIG that would cause that...

Not like I take it offroading LOL! Waiting for follow-up and hoping it's covered under extended GM warranty. Could be down for a while...
Old 06-24-2021, 06:57 AM   #11
my3sons_nh

Here's how it ended up... It wasn't a cracked spring. The issue was the passengers side strut... Dealer replaced the strut assembly under my extended warranty ($600 job).

The root cause is one for the books! The shop that replaced my tires mounted the right front tire on the rear rims which (being wider) apparently hit/damaged the right front strut tower. I have a 2SS with a staggered setup.

I contacted the "Performance" shop that installed my tires and shared the dealer findings. They were embarrassed and extremely apologetic and are making me whole for the install costs, my warranty deductible and have since fired the employee. They also offered me an additional amount for my time, inconvenience and loss of use for the vehicle for ~ 3 weeks while at the dealer.

I never imagined a simple tire replacement/install could lead to this!

Tags
1le, suspension problem