Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
speedygonzales

Drives: 99 z71, 2012 2SS
Inside of trunk wet for cars with sunroof (sunroof owners should do this anyway)

If your trunk is wet and you have a sunroof here's some information for you.

More than likely the grommet is leaking where one of the two drain hoses goes into them. There is one on each side of the trunk under the lid back by the hinges below the rear window inside the rain trough.

Here's some pictures to help with what I'm talking about. This is from the lid side of the trunk (outside) showing the roof drain grommet.

Drain grommet from outside view

Here's an inside view of the grommet that shows the tube going into it.

Drain grommet from inside the trunk

The problem is the tube pulls to one side of the grommet and it spreads the back of the grommet open for water to leak out.

Here's a simple fix
Drain grommet with tie wrap

I would suggest anyone with a sunroof put the tie wraps on even though the trunk may be dry. If it is a problem in the future, who knows when you might notice the mat is wet if it leaks.

I also wanted to write this up and include pictures because I was unable to find any photos of 5th gen roof drains.

Fix your garage pics so we can see them
speedygonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 12:23 PM   #2
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Thanks for the info. My trunk is dry but its good to know what those plugs are for
in case I get water in the trunk.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
Bretts
SS

Drives: 2015 2ss rs
the links were flagged as known malicious sites by Norton but I can't bypass so will look at them at work thanks
CCW sp16a track set, BTR stage 3 cam and kooks longtubes with high flow catsLocks@7.5 degrees castor and radius arm inserts, Ride Tech 2coilovers JDP upper control arm bushings BMR lower knuckle bushing Bo White throttle body3.91 gears Spohn del-sphere toe link and trailing arms Prothane subframe bushings

Last edited by Bretts; 03-09-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Bretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #4
speedygonzales

Apparently your software doesn't like photobucket. Override it. The pics are on my photobucket page created while at the same time using Norton 360.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:01 PM   #5
Mean Green Z28

Drives: 2010 2SS
-- >> Some of my Projects My Fquick Page

Last edited by Mean Green Z28; 03-14-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Mean Green Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #6
sbear

The photo links are fine. Great info!
Old 03-30-2015, 12:25 AM   #7
elektrik

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygonzales View Post
Apparently your software doesn't like photobucket. Override it. The pics are on my photobucket page created while at the same time using Norton 360.
Norton has nothing to do with it. The photobucket links in your first post are all timing out.

"The connection has timed out

The server at i1371.photobucket.com is taking too long to respond."
elektrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 05:30 AM   #8
speedygonzales

Try again later

funny the links work fine for me even logged in as a guest

The problem does not necessarily mean it's photo buckets fault.

Wait a while and try again later

One other note. Sometimes the tie wrap by itself does not work so I suggest putting some RTV on the tube before you push it in the grommet, then tie it.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:08 PM   #9
Iroc Drew

Drives: 2015 1LE 2SS/RS CRT NPP AYZ NAV SUN
Thanks for the heads up. I had no problem viewing your pics.

1989 IROC Z L98.
2015 Silverado LT.
2015 2SS 1LE.
Iroc Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:15 PM   #10
Rico
Flying da helicopter

Drives: Black SS/RS
I've had mine slip out before and leak in the trunk. It took me a couple days to figure out where it was coming from. Good write up for those that might run into this problem.
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:20 PM   #11
seven

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS 2LT AGM
Hmmm I am gonna check this out. I have the rubber camaro mat in my trunk and I have noticed some weird marks on it but I thought it was just moisture changes. How can I test it? Where do you run the water hose on the car to see if it is leaking? Also, I wonder how long after being exposed to water that it takes to leak into the trunk.
2015 RS Camaro 2LT with Sunroof, Performance Exhaust, Ground Effects, Tinted Windows, LED Fog Lights(DD), CAI Cold Air Intake, Ghosted Side Markers(Showstopper), Elite Catch Can, Xpel & SunTek PPF, Replica Z28 High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 Replica Wheels(Satin Black Factory Reproductions)
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 04:04 PM   #12
speedygonzales

I could not get water to come out of the grommet at the trunk while running water on the sun roof while it was closed. However I did see drops at the tube where it mated to the grommet a day or so after it rained. I'm thinking the force of driving while it's raining pushes it past the weather stripping.

You may look for an opening where the tube is with the sunroof open and try pouring a small amount of water at the outside edge.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #13
seven

Drives: 2015 Camaro RS 2LT AGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedygonzales View Post
I could not get water to come out of the grommet at the trunk while running water on the sun roof while it was closed. However I did see drops at the tube where it mated to the grommet a day or so after it rained. I'm thinking the force of driving while it's raining pushes it past the weather stripping.

You may look for an opening where the tube is with the sunroof open and try pouring a small amount of water at the outside edge.
Thanks. Did you use just a zip tie??? That worked okay? And thanks for posting this thread.
2015 RS Camaro 2LT with Sunroof, Performance Exhaust, Ground Effects, Tinted Windows, LED Fog Lights(DD), CAI Cold Air Intake, Ghosted Side Markers(Showstopper), Elite Catch Can, Xpel & SunTek PPF, Replica Z28 High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 Replica Wheels(Satin Black Factory Reproductions)
seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 06:49 AM   #14
speedygonzales

Tie wrap wasn't enough in my case

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven View Post
Thanks. Did you use just a zip tie??? That worked okay? And thanks for posting this thread.
No I had to cut off the tie wrap and put RTV on the tube and push it back in and re tie wrap it. With just the tie wrap it still leaked albeit much less then before.

Tags
drain, grommet, trunk, wet