#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-16-2019, 10:25 AM   #1
sbanke

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Corsa Xtreme+, AWE, or Corsa Axleback & Borla X Pipe

Hi All -

I'm trying to figure out which exhaust to go with on my ZL1. It's a 6 speed so my understanding is that I can go catback without any issues.

I had an S550 Mustang GT a few years ago. Installed a Corsa Xtreme catback on it and loved it, although I thought it was a bit quiet. Eventually went with headers as well which was just way too much- you could hear it from over a mile away at WOT.

Anway, I'm trying to figure out what to go with now and I've narrowed it down to a few options:

Corsa Xtreme+ Catback - Corsa Axleback with the Corsa Double X Pipe - I think this is the same setup as what they were just calling the Xtreme catback on the Mustang

Corsa Xtreme Axleback with a Borla Midpipe - I've seen a lot of this setup online. How does this sound compared to full Corsa? Any advantages here or is this just because Corsa took a while to bring out their double X pipe?

AWE Catback - I'm having a tough time figuring out which of these is roughly the same loudness as the Xtreme+ Catback. I'm guessing the unresonated Touring setup? Is AWE deeper than Corsa? It's tough to tell without hearing it in person.

Appreciate any input. I'm loving the car so far and think the stock exhaust sounds okay with the fuse pulled, but its just way too quiet. I'm throwing the Rotofab intake on it shortly as well.
sbanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanke View Post
Hi All -

I'm trying to figure out which exhaust to go with on my ZL1. It's a 6 speed so my understanding is that I can go catback without any issues.

I had an S550 Mustang GT a few years ago. Installed a Corsa Xtreme catback on it and loved it, although I thought it was a bit quiet. Eventually went with headers as well which was just way too much- you could hear it from over a mile away at WOT.

Anway, I'm trying to figure out what to go with now and I've narrowed it down to a few options:

Corsa Xtreme+ Catback - Corsa Axleback with the Corsa Double X Pipe - I think this is the same setup as what they were just calling the Xtreme catback on the Mustang

Corsa Xtreme Axleback with a Borla Midpipe - I've seen a lot of this setup online. How does this sound compared to full Corsa? Any advantages here or is this just because Corsa took a while to bring out their double X pipe?

AWE Catback - I'm having a tough time figuring out which of these is roughly the same loudness as the Xtreme+ Catback. I'm guessing the unresonated Touring setup? Is AWE deeper than Corsa? It's tough to tell without hearing it in person.

Appreciate any input. I'm loving the car so far and think the stock exhaust sounds okay with the fuse pulled, but its just way too quiet. I'm throwing the Rotofab intake on it shortly as well.
Congrats on the badass car man. I cannot add much, but from my lurking, Corsa did take a while to come out with their X-Pipe and thats why you saw people using the Borla midpipe and Corsa Axleback. Borla has since discontinued their mid-pipe so Corsa is your only option unless you find the borla mid on ebay or something.
Old 07-16-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I'm one of the guys who didn't wait until Corsa had an X Pipe so I have an Xtreme Axle Back and Borla 60606 X Pipe (No secondary cats). If I could do it again, I would get the Corsa Double Helix. Only because I like having all one brand on my car. Zero sound or quality issues though.

AWE Touring and Corsa are pretty similar. Both are no drone setups. Both have no valves. Both have loud when you want it, quiet when you need it functionality via control of your foot. Both offer great tip options. Listen to some videos and see if you can find which you like better. From what I can tell, Corsa Xtreme is a little more raspy, and has a touch more "pissed off" sound to it. I drove my ZL1 the other night and I cannot get over how good it sounds and how easy it is to be rowdy or quiet depending on throttle input.

Since Corsa is what I know, and I know it is made well, fits well, sounds great, and has no downsides, that's what I would recommend. But again, I can't speak to AWE Touring's sound in person.

The comparable AWE setup of the Corsa Xtreme would be AWE Non Resonated Touring Axle Back + X-Pipe + Performance Link Pipes (PLPs). The resonated part I could go either way on, not sure what sound characteristics it dampens. That would be a question for Josh/AWE (On the forum) to see what he recommends.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:00 PM   #4
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
AWE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you go with the catback, make sure you get the performance link pipes, that way you dont have to do any cutting!
I had the Corsa Extreme on my Corvette and my AWE Track Edition, Non-Resonated is much deeper, aggressive and mean sounding. Just what I wanted. The track edition is not for everyone, but I love it!
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #5

Drives: 18 ZL1, 19 Raptor, 13 Mustang GT
I have the Corsa axle back and double x pipe....love it!
1268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:16 PM   #6
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
Installed the AWE Touring non-resonated catback and link pipes to eliminate the secondary cats. I actually can't believe how loud it is, cold starts are easily 4x as loud as factory with the NPP fuse disabled.

On the track it sounds incredible flat out. So many compliments.

I literally cannot fathom how loud the track version must be.
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:49 AM   #7
kms0567

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 Auto
Does A10 have restrictions installing catback? and does secondary cat delete require tune?
kms0567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 07:15 AM   #8
19Nasty1le
Craig

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
I have the Corsa Xtreme+ Catback on my 19 ZLE and it sounds insane, people love it and the rev match down shifts are orgasmic. Start ups especially cold starts make people jump and then come running to see what beast just fired up. It’s loud outside so I’m told, but inside it’s perfect and I’ve done 2hr+ road trips with it and surprising when you’re cruising it’s got a nice little growl but tones down a lot, when you give it some gas it livens right up though.. and the burbles when you’re in track mode soooooo good (yes it’s a noticeable difference between Tour Sport and Track even without valves because of how the computer changes everything with revs etc still)
19Nasty1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:11 AM   #9
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kms0567 View Post
Does A10 have restrictions installing catback? and does secondary cat delete require tune?
Can’t answer the first question as I have an A8, but I did the secondary cat delete pipes with my AWE Touring and resonated catback. No tune required for that. Touring system is absolutely perfect IMO, tame around town if you need to be, badass when you get on the gas. Cold starts will get your attention.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #10
sbanke

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I'm one of the guys who didn't wait until Corsa had an X Pipe so I have an Xtreme Axle Back and Borla 60606 X Pipe (No secondary cats). If I could do it again, I would get the Corsa Double Helix. Only because I like having all one brand on my car. Zero sound or quality issues though.

AWE Touring and Corsa are pretty similar. Both are no drone setups. Both have no valves. Both have loud when you want it, quiet when you need it functionality via control of your foot. Both offer great tip options. Listen to some videos and see if you can find which you like better. From what I can tell, Corsa Xtreme is a little more raspy, and has a touch more "pissed off" sound to it. I drove my ZL1 the other night and I cannot get over how good it sounds and how easy it is to be rowdy or quiet depending on throttle input.

Since Corsa is what I know, and I know it is made well, fits well, sounds great, and has no downsides, that's what I would recommend. But again, I can't speak to AWE Touring's sound in person.

The comparable AWE setup of the Corsa Xtreme would be AWE Non Resonated Touring Axle Back + X-Pipe + Performance Link Pipes (PLPs). The resonated part I could go either way on, not sure what sound characteristics it dampens. That would be a question for Josh/AWE (On the forum) to see what he recommends.
Is the Corsa Catback system the same length as the AWE system with performance link pipes? Just trying to compare them sort of apples to apples.

Also have any of you guys heard both the Corsa and AWE setups on a ZL1? Everybody seems to like the setup they bought, but I haven't been able to track down anyone that has experience with both on these cars.
sbanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:25 PM   #11
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanke View Post
Is the Corsa Catback system the same length as the AWE system with performance link pipes? Just trying to compare them sort of apples to apples.

Also have any of you guys heard both the Corsa and AWE setups on a ZL1? Everybody seems to like the setup they bought, but I haven't been able to track down anyone that has experience with both on these cars.
Yes, the Corsa Cat-back = AWE Cat-back + PLPs. If you don't get the PLP's, you cut the factory exhaust a foot or two post secondary cats, so you have all four sets of factory cats if you just do the AWE Cat-back. If you add the PLP's, you unbolt the whole factory cat-back, and clamp in the new system, sans secondary cats. Will attach a pic that may make it easier.
Attached Images

Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 09:58 AM   #12
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
FYI:
If anyone curious how it sounds this is a sound clip. AWE TRACK EDITION AXLEBACK EXHAUST FLYBY | CAMARO SS & SS 1LE https://youtu.be/tC9hP8jfbT8

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote