#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 08-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #29
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Hmmm...better venting is somewhat subjective?
Same size but lighter suggests either a less dense alloy, or less material between actual discs?
Dont really know, but i do prefer to run on rotors made in Italy vs you know where With brand new hats and hardware each time as an added bonus. Just my personal choice, that's all.

I meant better venting than the OEM rotor. And I agree with you about the weight. I have read in other BBK threads about lower thermal mass means less overall braking capacity.

I bet someone has a chart that shows how much cooling efficiency is necessary to 'overcome' less mass.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #30
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
I meant better venting than the OEM rotor. And I agree with you about the weight. I have read in other BBK threads about lower thermal mass means less overall braking capacity.

I bet someone has a chart that shows how much cooling efficiency is necessary to 'overcome' less mass.
Ya agree and DBA has been rather vocal about their Kangaroo vain pattern (or whatever they call it), but the OEM Brembos are very stout as a kit imo and last for quite a while even under very hard use. Havent seen anyone actually quantify DBAs being better heat wise, or longevity. But it is entirely possible that i have missed it.
Either way, id imagine the delta (if any) wouldn't be substantial? But it is good to haveva choice regardless.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #31
Yanbags

Drives: '17 SS 1LE
To throw another option out...I would recommend trying a set of girodisc rings. Just did a weekend at Watkins Glen with a new set of girodiscs and was extremely impressed. Build quality and vane design is GREAT. KNSBrakes sells them for $80 more than the set of DBA rings. I'm definitely going to stick with these going forward. No heat check cracks yet after two hard days.

In the PCA events I attend - practically half, if not more, of the advanced/instructor cars are running girodisc rotors...have always heard them getting high praise. When you compare them side-by-side to the OEM, the cooling vanes are much larger. You can tell the cooling capacity is better.

Yanbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:32 AM   #32
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Ya agree and DBA has been rather vocal about their Kangaroo vain pattern (or whatever they call it), but the OEM Brembos are very stout as a kit imo and last for quite a while even under very hard use. Havent seen anyone actually quantify DBAs being better heat wise, or longevity. But it is entirely possible that i have missed it.
Either way, id imagine the delta (if any) wouldn't be substantial? But it is good to haveva choice regardless.
Pretty sure the DBAs in our size used the same curved vane structure as the OEMs and not the kangaroo paw

Last edited by TheRealJA105; 08-12-2019 at 12:57 PM.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:33 AM   #33
TrackClub

Yep ive heard good things about Girodisc. US biz, made in the US from US sourced steel. Nice!
I'd imagine these are a fraction of cost vs OEM for any Pcar Would you have a KNS part number for our cars by any chance? Ive gone on Ken's website but couldnt really find anything SS 1LE specific...Maybe i am missing something obvious lol! Thx!
Old 08-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #34
Yanbags

Quote:
Yep ive heard good things about Girodisc. US biz, made in the US from US sourced steel. Nice!
I'd imagine these are a fraction of cost vs OEM for any Pcar Would you have a KNS part number for our cars by any chance? Ive gone on Ken's website but couldnt really find anything SS 1LE specific...Maybe i am missing something obvious lol! Thx!
The part # on my invoice from him is 'giroD1-214'.

Odd though, you should be able to select an SS 1LE and see the rotor rings as an available item. When picking the vehicle, I do:
YEAR: 2017
MAKE: Chevrolet
MODEL: Camaro
SUB MODEL: SS 1LE - 6 Piston Brembo Front Caliper

https://knsbrakes.com/c/car-items/49...nt+Rotor+Rings
Old 08-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #35
TrackClub

Thank you! I was going a wrong way about it when searching. $700 for a pair of discs is about the same as a whole assy from Rockauto. Hmm...But good to have a choice!

TheRealJA: interesting observation re DBAs. Cem had posted pix of his early purchase 2 yrs ago? Thought they were the roo design. But maybe not. Either way, id rather spring for made in USA or Italy vs China.
Old 08-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #36
Yanbags

Quote:
Thank you! I was going a wrong way about it when searching. $700 for a pair of discs is about the same as a whole assy from Rockauto. Hmm...But good to have a choice!

TheRealJA: interesting observation re DBAs. Cem had posted pix of his early purchase 2 yrs ago? Thought they were the roo design. But maybe not. Either way, id rather spring for made in USA or Italy vs China.
The way I look at it...same price for a superior rotor, so the choice is easy for me. A bit more effort, but it's pretty easy to swap rings.

I have had 2 sets of OEM rotors by now, so I'll just be swapping new rings to the "last used" hats and then do a straight swap when it's time to replace the whole assembly on the car.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:22 PM   #37
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanbags View Post
The way I look at it...same price for a superior rotor, so the choice is easy for me. A bit more effort, but it's pretty easy to swap rings.

I have had 2 sets of OEM rotors by now, so I'll just be swapping new rings to the "last used" hats and then do a straight swap when it's time to replace the whole assembly on the car.
Eager to learn how much longer these last over stockers, assuming that will be the case. The actual rings seem thinner vs Brembos. Maybe they run less hot due to bigger vains. Who knows. Please report the outcome
Old 08-13-2019, 08:23 AM   #38
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanbags View Post

I was going to mention that anyone swapping rings should have two sets I've had to swap a ring at the track before and wasted a whole lot of time waiting for it to cool down before starting.
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #39
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:

https://www.dbabrakes.eu/discbrakes/52844/DBA52770.1LS
https://www.dbabrakes.eu/discbrakes/52845/DBA52770.1RS

The fact that there is a right and a left tells you the answer without even looking, but there are the links.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #40
Black E

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
How come they don't list the Girodisk replacement rotors for the ZL1? I thought it's the same caliper/rotor as a SS1LE?
Black E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:19 AM   #41
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
https://www.dbabrakes.eu/discbrakes/52844/DBA52770.1LS
https://www.dbabrakes.eu/discbrakes/52845/DBA52770.1RS

The fact that there is a right and a left tells you the answer without even looking, but there are the links.
Brilliant observation! Plus the description lists venting as curved vanes as well.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:35 AM   #42
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black E View Post
How come they don't list the Girodisk replacement rotors for the ZL1? I thought it's the same caliper/rotor as a SS1LE?
Not the same rotor, nor pad. They do list them under ZL1. But unclear if the disc fits oem hat as a bolt on replacement like it does for an SS 1LE.
Description is a bit different, so best to check with Ken.