Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #1
zjolsen

Drives: 2014 1LE
Mods with GMEPP

Going to purchase the GMEPP for 60 months/40k miles on my 17. I am 100% stock right now but have a RF intake on the way and trying to pick up a borla secondary cat delete. Literally the only two mods I want, a little more whine and a little louder exhaust.

Is that enough to deny warranty if I have a claim? No tuning, just simply more for sound than anything.

Seems silly that I have to ask this but worry about oil pump issues even though im a early 17 build (feb/17).

Thanks!
zjolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:20 AM   #2
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
This is a gross over simplification; mods alone do not technically void a warranty. The warranty is voided to the extent that a non GM approved modification causes a covered part to fail. In that case the warranty will not cover the repair and/or replacement of the failed part(s).
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab air intake, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!
644 HP @ 6250 rpms
689 trq @ 3660 rpms

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #3
philpacs

Drives: Camaro ZL1 A10
I had asked one dealer what I could add without warranty problems and he said drop in panel filter and exhaust tips is all. I wrote another dealer asking if I could install a catch can, supercharger coolant reservoir, exhaust mods, intake etc without problems or which ones I could and waiting to hear back.
philpacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #4
Lafourche1

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 10A
It is a GM call. While your dealer can help, if you get a major failure, GM will make the ultimate call on your warranty claim. When in doubt, keep it stock.
2011 Honda Ridgeline
Lafourche1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:12 AM   #5
AZ_SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 M6
I pulled the tune out of my Silverado in the bay of the dealership when I took it in for a miss on #7. GM only gets involved when there is a catastrophic failure. My dealership is very mod friendly. Like stated earlier, mods don't void entire warranty but they can deny replacing a cat, for instance, if you installed headers.
AZ_SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
jbp8653

Drives: 2017 ZL1,2013 ZR1, 1952 C3100 Resto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
This is a gross over simplification; mods alone do not technically void a warranty. The warranty is voided to the extent that a non GM approved modification causes a covered part to fail. In that case the warranty will not cover the repair and/or replacement of the failed part(s).
This is very accurate...……

2013 ZR1 60th Anniv.

1952 C3100 resto-rod. LS6, 4L60e, 228R cam
jbp8653 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:02 PM   #7
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
If your driver side adjustable mirror fails, a rotofab will not void the warranty on replacing the mirror. If your MAF fails, the dealer may not cover a replacement MAF under warranty because he may say the installation of the CAI damaged the MAF, or the difference in airflow from the CAI is the culprit. It depends on what the warranty claim is.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab air intake, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!
644 HP @ 6250 rpms
689 trq @ 3660 rpms

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #8
RUQWIKR

Drives: 17 SS 1LE & 18 SS Hot Wheels conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
If your driver side adjustable mirror fails, a rotofab will not void the warranty on replacing the mirror. If your MAF fails, the dealer may not cover a replacement MAF under warranty because he may say the installation of the CAI damaged the MAF, or the difference in airflow from the CAI is the culprit. It depends on what the warranty claim is.
Agree...

However: Let's talk driveline / powertrain, which tends to be the most in play to get into warranty trouble with mods.

Dealer doesn't know you, they can, with a pic or two and a few keystrokes, get your warranty blocked. Friendly dealer gets audited while your car is in the shop, you'll probably be warranty blocked. Breakdown out of town away from your friendly dealer...

I have no sympathy for people that mod their cars and then get mad if not covered under warranty if they made any changes to the covered system. It's why on all my cars, I either stay within the true warranty limits or throw the warranty right out the window and do major mods (heads, cam, etc.). The OEM's spend a ton per year on warranty, a lot of it are fraudulent claims with stuff that should not have been covered.

I was going to look at a ZL1 1LE low mile trade in recently - looked bone stock, great shape. Had the VIN ran in the GM warranty system - all powertrain labor codes blocked. Of course, "Sold with remaining factory warranty" is not a lie, I guess to the letter of the law - you get what's left - which is not what it came with. Still, a dealer with a warranty blocked expensive car is not going to put a disclaimer on the ad saying the whole truth.