#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 08-04-2019, 11:26 AM   #1
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
Rebel rock racing #71 Road America {spoiler}

https://michelinpilotchallenge.imsa.com/

As per the photo on the above link theres is a spoiler.

I said a few weeks ago Candain tire was the race of the year...forget about that this race was it. I kinda skipped a post on the Lime Rock race due to me over sleeping a little on the start of the race and the car not do well due to a pit right before a yellow and hence going from 4th to a lap down. Thats racing but the luck would come around on this race.

Race was rain delayed and shortened to 75 mins due to late evening start #71 was positioned #18 in the GS field of 21 cars.

Short version race came down to a "last lap shootout" with Liddell behind the wheel and pitting right as a yellow came out for a 4th! place restart from I believe a lap down. Opposite out come of what happened last race.

This last lap will go down as a "last lap heroics" with and impossible pass on Canada corner, 4th to 2nd on two cars, on the outside...and yes in a driving rain. Liddell commented after the race he turned the traction control OFF and threw it in the wind.

The final pass ill leave it as probably the most incredible thing I have seen in any form of racing in a long long time. I screamed so loud again scared the dog and the wife went and grabbed me a fresh beer since mine went flying.

3-5 pm August 12th.

Last edited by BlueinTN; 08-04-2019 at 11:45 AM.
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
BlueinTN

Old 08-04-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
BlueinTN

Old 08-04-2019, 01:14 PM   #4
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Apparently Kuno Wittmer (leading McLaren) was trying to radio his crew to congratulate them, but hit the pit speed limiter button instead of the radio button, cutting all power. Liddell’s double pass at Canada corner was absolutely epic!
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:39 PM   #5
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Epic lap! Fantastic finish!!!
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #6
Dave-ROR

Drives: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueinTN View Post
The final pass ill leave it as probably the most incredible thing I have seen in any form of racing in a long long time. I screamed so loud again scared the dog and the wife went and grabbed me a fresh beer since mine went flying.
It was incredibly unfortunate for the team that by all rights should have won if their over excited driver didn't hit the damn pit speed button. Liddell didn't make or earn that pass really outside of his quick move to avoid the jackass that more or less literally went to brakes right in front of him 30 feet or whatever from the start/finish line.

It's still a win though, but I bet that McLaren team will be reprogramming that button to have a max speed for activation and/or will be relocating it ha

And the rest of that last lap for him.. that WAS great driving!
HPDE/DD: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE || HPDE/DD: 2015 Subaru BRZ ||Tow Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 8.1L || Weekend toy: 1994 MR2 Turbo || The other weekend toy: 1993 MR2 Turbo || Track car: 1998 Integra Type-R || Race car: 1996 Integra GS-R || New race car build: 1992 Honda Civic Hatchback

Too many cars.. never.
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:07 AM   #7
Snakebt6

Drives: Rally Green 2020 ZL1 1LE A10
Yes that was a fantastic finish for sure!! Not sure what the Mclaren driver did there at the end but regardless Liddell put himself in a position to capitalize on it and that's half the battle.

Congratulations to those guys and to a great drive!
Snakebt6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:12 AM   #8
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Liddell must have picked up something about grip along that outside line in Canada Corner during the previous lap(s). Great driving to make it work well enough to get past two other cars.

Wittmer did seem to do everything he legitimately could to recover - he did squeeze Liddell all the way over to the very edge of the pavement in an evident attempt to discourage the pass that he had to know was coming.

Norm