Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-31-2019, 03:49 PM   #15
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLem619 View Post
Will a 90% IPA, break down a ceramic coating at a 70/30 ratio?

I've used it in a pump sprayer on other vehicles in between washes, and it worked great. Was curious if I would be able to use it sparingly in a pinch, without it damaging the ceramic. I'm guessing not to use it, but worth asking.
IPA will not remove a ceramic coating, as Glen already stated, the only way to do that is to use an abrasive polish.

If you want to prep the coating for using a topper on it, wash it with Carpro Reset, this shampoo will remove any oils on top of the coating, allowing whatever SIO2 sealant you're using as a topper to bond correctly. Many times when using this soap, thinking my "topper" was gone, it became refreshed after washing, and no re-application of a topper was needed.

Oils from the road, which get on your paint when driving in the rain, had simply got on top of my "topper", and masked the beading and sheeting effect. PH balanced soaps are not strong enough to remove this. Reset is @ a PH of 10 undiluted, and won't strip SIO2 coatings or sealants, but will refresh them by removing oils that are on top of them.

If your using 90% IPA diluted to 70/30 with distilled water, your solution is 63%. This is more than strong enough to remove any carnauba waxes, and polymer sealants.

You really don't need this strong of a solution though, instead mix a full bottle of 90% IPA with a full bottle of distilled water, equal amounts of each, for a 45% solution for stripping waxes/sealants.
A more simple way to strip wax/sealant is to mix 4-5 ounces of APC (all purpose cleaner) to your wash bucket, and just wash the car as normal, eliminating the extra step with IPA.

Use IPA as a prep before applying base protection, add 3 bottles of distilled water to the one bottle of 90% IPA for a 22% solution. This will remove any polishing oils, clay lube residue, or oils from your hands, to prep the paint properly for adding your base layer of protection.

To make it really simple, if you have a 16oz spray bottle, add 4 oz. of 90% IPA, and 12 of distilled water, for a 32 oz. just double it, 8 oz. 90% IPA, 24 oz. distilled water.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:15 AM   #16
RLem619

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS A10
Good info Joe and Glen, thanks for the reply!

RLem619 is offline   Reply With Quote