Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Z/28 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-30-2018, 01:00 PM   #15
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
LT5 won't go into the Z28, perhaps the ZL1 one day. Z28 will be naturally aspirated as per a very well known Chevrolet Chief Engineer. NA only on his watch, and rightly so. The Z28 has always been NA. I will NEVER forget my first ride in the original LT1 Z28.

When Chevy works the bugs out of the LT6 (unlike the debacle of a competitors rush to push the Voodoo' into production), and a year or two after the C8 release, I believe that we will see the new Chevy DOHC NA in the resurrection of the Z28. Complete with DSSV, CCBS option, plenty of delete options and lots of aluminum and some CF.
At 3:06 he speaks of the Z/28's history as being naturally aspirated.

Listen to his answer closely at about the 1:19-1:21 mark...

MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:39 PM   #16
Quinten_33

Drives: Silverado
In other words, they won’t make a Z/28 unless there’s a niche for a car that fits the Z/28 name. It’s better to not use the name than to use it incorrectly.
Quinten_33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 06:23 PM   #17
doc7000

Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten_33 View Post
In other words, they won’t make a Z/28 unless there’s a niche for a car that fits the Z/28 name. It’s better to not use the name than to use it incorrectly.
This is my opinion on the subject as well, why run the name potentially into the ground just to make a buck when in the long term there is more value in a brand as long as it is maintained.
doc7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:47 PM   #18
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinten_33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
This is my opinion on the subject as well, why run the name potentially into the ground just to make a buck when in the long term there is more value in a brand as long as it is maintained.
I agree 100%.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:12 AM   #19
MrChrisLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
Y'all don't seem to remember the 3rd and 4th generation then. The 3rd gen was basically a sticker package, until 1987 when the IROC Z with automatic transmissions got the 350 w/ 225 neck breaking HP.

Then there was the 4th Gen, where all V8's were Z28's with the exception of the SS version.

So it was really only the first and the fifth generations where the badge held any real significance.

Not saying they should do that again, but if they put the supercharged LT5 in the Z 1LE and called it a Z/28 I certainly would not call it blasphemy.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:53 AM   #20
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
I agree 100%.
Agree as well. One of the more embarassing moments for GM was everything being called an SS. I personally loved the HHR SS as a vehicle, just wish it had been called something else. HHR SS, silverado SS, cobalt SS, trailblazer SS...none of those vehicles say "SS" to me..especially the TBSS/Silverado SS.

Id rather not see a Z/28 at all than to go back to 4th gen days when Z28 meant nothing.
1970judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:27 AM   #21
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970judge View Post
Agree as well. One of the more embarassing moments for GM was everything being called an SS. I personally loved the HHR SS as a vehicle, just wish it had been called something else. HHR SS, silverado SS, cobalt SS, trailblazer SS...none of those vehicles say "SS" to me..especially the TBSS/Silverado SS.

Id rather not see a Z/28 at all than to go back to 4th gen days when Z28 meant nothing.
I thought the TB SS was awesome lol. It was more of an SS than the Silverado SS was. The trailblazer had an LS2 in it IIRC.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 08:38 AM   #22
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Y'all don't seem to remember the 3rd and 4th generation then. The 3rd gen was basically a sticker package, until 1987 when the IROC Z with automatic transmissions got the 350 w/ 225 neck breaking HP.

Then there was the 4th Gen, where all V8's were Z28's with the exception of the SS version.

So it was really only the first and the fifth generations where the badge held any real significance.

Not saying they should do that again, but if they put the supercharged LT5 in the Z 1LE and called it a Z/28 I certainly would not call it blasphemy.
We all remember those cars, which is why we don’t want them to make the same mistake.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #23
MrChrisLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
We all remember those cars, which is why we don’t want them to make the same mistake.
I agree, I just don't get all the insistence that it be naturally aspirated. I see nothing wrong with putting an LT5 in that car.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #24
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
I agree, I just don't get all the insistence that it be naturally aspirated. I see nothing wrong with putting an LT5 in that car.
Balance
Heat
Weight
Not everyone wants a super charged engine
LT5 should have been in the ZL1
Old 05-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #25
shaffe

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Balance
Heat
Weight
Not everyone wants a super charged engine
LT5 should have been in the ZL1
and the head honcho himself said it needs to be NA.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 05-01-2018, 06:09 PM   #26
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:

Gen3 is when they came out with the 1LE to compensate for the misuse of the Z28 name. To truly set things right, the current 1LE should be the Z/28. ...and the ZL1 should have the LT5

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:47 AM   #27
MrChrisLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
Gen3 is when they came out with the 1LE to compensate for the misuse of the Z28 name. To truly set things right, the current 1LE should be the Z/28. ...and the ZL1 should have the LT5
Well, personally, I would put the LT1 in the ZL1 1LE chassis. I think it would make a great track car. Lighter, a step up from the SS 1LE with the DSSV suspension and offer CCB option as well. I would minimalize the interior creature comforts, but not so far as the 5th Gen did.

The Z/28 doesn't need to be "king of the Hill" just a great track car for those that prefer the N/A engine. As I've said before, this has worked really well for the Corvette in their Grand Sport offering the last two generations, I don't see why it wouldn't work for Camaro as well.

But if there is an insistence that the Z/28 beat the ZL1 around a track, then it will have to be a forced induction engine, no getting around that in today's climate, the big cubed V8 (7 liter) is not going to happen, in my opinion.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:03 PM   #28
shaffe

Quote:
Well, personally, I would put the LT1 in the ZL1 1LE chassis. I think it would make a great track car. Lighter, a step up from the SS 1LE with the DSSV suspension and offer CCB option as well. I would minimalize the interior creature comforts, but not so far as the 5th Gen did.

The Z/28 doesn't need to be "king of the Hill" just a great track car for those that prefer the N/A engine. As I've said before, this has worked really well for the Corvette in their Grand Sport offering the last two generations, I don't see why it wouldn't work for Camaro as well.

But if there is an insistence that the Z/28 beat the ZL1 around a track, then it will have to be a forced induction engine, no getting around that in today's climate, the big cubed V8 (7 liter) is not going to happen, in my opinion.
and there in lies the problem. The Z/28 does not need to be the top of the food chain. However that is where the 5th gen car put it. And now for some reason people believe that the Z/28 is the holy grail of Camaro's and must remain at the top of the food chain. That simply won't happen IMO if it is naturally aspirated.

Can they make a hell of a track package car that easily the most track capable NA Camaro while not being the halo model? hell yeah they can, and IMO that would be the perfect Z/28. they set the bar so high with the ZLE, I only see an LT5 equipped Camaro out doing it. Or if they steal a TT engine from the Vette, but NA not going to happen IMO.