Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 06-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #1
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
1LE Suspension Review

If you're interested in the spring rate differences between the SS, 1LE and some aftermarket options, you can find that information Here

About 1000 miles ago, I had the 1LE Suspension Kit with 1LE upper and lower trailing arms installed on my 2017 SS. This includes the software update to the Magnetic Ride Control (MRC) shocks.

The install is done at the Chevrolet dealership and it took 2 days for them to complete it with an alignment. The install includes GM authorization being required for the MRC software update.

The 1LE Suspension Kit includes new springs, swaybars, front lower control links, front strut upper bushings and the software update. I chose to also include the trailing arm set but this was purchased separately. (Shout-out to ThatGMPartsGuy for all of these parts and information).

My driving review is going to be split up a bit so you can determine if this kit is right for you. The factory SS MRC suspension will be referred to by the GM code as FE3 and the 1LE setup will be referred to as FE4 (for people new to this forum/topic)

City Driving/Commuting:
Washington DC metro area and Northern Virginia. The roads are not the worst in the country, but there are a decent amount of rough patches and potholes. The FE3 would cause more chassis movement over these sections of the road due to having more compliancy. There was never a pogo-stick action, but on some roads I would put the car into Track mode to make the car ride flatter through these rougher sections, even if it meant more feel coming into the cabin. These roads highlight why I dislike the FE3 and wanted this change. Too much up/down motion while driving.

The FE4 by comparison smoothes the ride out and keeps the car flatter. Even over rougher sections, there is not a large swing up and down of the suspension and the chassis we have is stiff enough to not spread the NVH and harshness beyond the impacted corner. There are sections where the increased spring rate is felt, but its not intrusive like a highly sprung set of cheap coilovers are. The ride is just more controlled and dispatches the bumps and bruises quicker at the expense of a heightened noise and feel.

I can see why the FE4 is not used on the SS from the factory due to this experience alone, however if you compare this suspension to a traditional non-magnetic ride in other sports cars, it's still nearing soft.

Highway:
Tour mode to Tour mode, not much of a difference depending on the road. If you're crossing over new cement rather than asphalt there may be more movement from the increase in stiffness due to harmonics of the road, but the extra chassis control from the setup isn't enough to upset the composure inside the cabin. I prefer the FE4 because it doesn't move around as much, even on the highway. It gets rid of most of the sofa feel that the FE3 delivers over smooth concrete and it also stops the rolling nature of the FE3 setup.

Fun:
When making sharp U-turns, turns in general the FE3 rear end would bounce around and putting power down was a challenge due to the unstable nature of the rear-end. I'd often find this issue when making turns across different road types or making U-turns and needing to power out. The rear would need a moment to settle or else it would get skittish. The vertical motion over the rear end was a flaw of the FE3 setup that gave the car more of a muscle car feel, which is great if you're drag racing, but not ideal with the steering wheel involved.

The FE4 by comparison, allows the car to stay flatter and put the power down sooner without waiting on the rear end to settle first. There is much more ability to be linear with the throttle and throw the car into a turn without having the rear end wobble. It is more direct and flatter at different turning arcs without taking away some of the bigger car feel of the FE3.

Autocross:
The FE3 never gave me the confidence to autocross with it. I'm sure people could do well with it and am sure people have done well with it. For me, it was too wobbly when pushed and the FE3 MRC setting, while keeping the car flat, just didn't have the roll stiffness I prefer. Your mileage may vary of course, but it seemed like its maybe 80% there as a sports car.

The FE4 by comparison did great at the autocross this weekend. Aside from not having enough tire to put power down at points, the car remained flat throughout and slaloming was very easy to do without the car losing composure beyond reason. The brake dive was lessened a lot over the FE3 (mostly due to the higher front spring rate) and the rear end followed the steering inputs crisper and without as much of a delay as the FE3. In fact, brake dive and the rear end wobble are the two largest differences between the two suspension setups.

Ride Height:
The factory SS suspension is at 15.5" front and 15.6" rear.
The 1LE suspension kit on the SS is now at 15.2" front and 15.8" rear.
Why? I'm not sure yet. I'd make a guess that the rear is higher due to less weight on the SS from not having the eLSD, but that is pure speculation. I think the rake looks good on the car and some wheels and tires may make up the difference a little bit visually.

Mode Comparison:
I've seen people make the comparison of 1LE Tour mode feeling like Track mode on the SS. This isn't quite right. Track mode on the SS is a bit overdamped and in my opinion, doesn't feel right due to this. It's not "bad" but the swaybars and springs just aren't there for the shock stiffness. It's a compromise.

A better comparison, IMO, is that Tour mode on the 1LE feels more like a heightened Sport mode on the SS. The shocks aren't stiffened up like Track mode where you feel a lot of whats under the car yet you have less roll than SS Tour mode. Components are matched better and the chassis is tied down better. There really isn't a simple comparison to make between the two because of the brake dive and rear end wobble.

Sorry for it not being clear cut.

In summary (Cliff Notes), this is how the car should have come from the factory if Chevrolet wanted it to strictly be a sports car. Steering is more direct but it is not a holy sh#t difference. Just more nuanced. It is still soft for a sports car due to the MRC and that makes feeling weight transfer a little more difficult since the car just stays flat now. If you like your Camaro for drag racing, the FE3 SS setup is probably better for that feel (although I'd recommend better trailing arms to put the power down).

Any questions, comments please feel free to ask away. This is a lot to type out and I have probably missed something. Here are some before/after photos:

Before:

After:

F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
glenB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
Your city/commute is the way I would describe the SS non mrc to the GM performance lowering kit. The way the non mrc should have been.
glenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:14 PM   #3
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSD View Post
Great review, hopefully they'll fix the software update for the 16's soon so I can get it too. Your points about the stock suspension and autocross sound 100% accurate. A stock MRC car is a pretty good compromise for 95% of camaro owners, but it can feel a little heavy and sway around a little too much when pushed hard. I've had cars with stiff springs and sways in the past and they give you more confidence. I don't mind giving up some comfort for better handling. This kit sounds great!!!

Does the kit allow you to get more camber in front? My car has 255's on the front and the tire limits me in the front, Do you know what they set your camber to?

Thanks for the review.
Thank you! I wanted to get some miles on the setup and an autocross before I wrote anything in detail. Then I wanted it to answer as much as I could.

It should. My current alignment is going to be redone when I head back to the dealer this Friday. They're going to check bolts and retighten them on the install. This is recommended with this kit after 1,000 miles or so.

When I'm in there I'll ask about the alignment potential. In theory it should be the same as the 1LE now, except for tire differences impacting clearance.

Values are currently SS street spec, which is too conservative for a sports car and why I didn't go into under vs oversteer much.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:44 AM   #4
jlagman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Crap, now I really want these...
jlagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 04:52 AM   #5
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Hey---is your car an A8 or M6?
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:57 AM   #6
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedX2 View Post
Hey---is your car an A8 or M6?
M6
Old 06-06-2017, 11:27 AM   #7
Atomic Ed

Drives: 2001 Audi TT, 2016 Camaro
Thanks for the review F1FTY, well done. I'm now convinced that this upgrade is going on my '16. Need to bug the local dealer about getting the BCM program available for the '16 ASAP.
Atomic Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Ed View Post
Thanks for the review F1FTY, well done. I'm now convinced that this upgrade is going on my '16. Need to bug the local dealer about getting the BCM program available for the '16 ASAP.
Thank you! I'll add a track section to the review later this summer after the car gets a good alignment. Then I'll be able to speak more to handling balance. Until that's done this review is about halfway complete.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
Cupahaters

Drives: 2017 fifty camaro
That's what I am wondering. If ordering aftermarket setup like the 1le will be better on the track than the 1le.
Cupahaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
F1FTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupahaters View Post
That's what I am wondering. If ordering aftermarket setup like the 1le will be better on the track than the 1le.
Looking at the spring rates and shock valving, if you have MRC it's doubtful that the FE3 shock settings and aftermarket lowering springs would provide a performance equivalent to the FE4 springs and shock settings. Sways and rear suspension links, sure there might be a benefit there but you run the risk of a mismatch.

Also, too often people will replace parts just to do it rather than to address an issue they find with their driving style. It's easier to buy a part rather than fix the driver. This can result in a worse off car.
Old 06-06-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Thank you for the review...very informative and I like how you were able to describe the contrast between FE3 and FE4 setups.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:37 AM   #12
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
id like to find out if I do the install is there a charge to have the dealer program the MRC or is it included in the price of the kit?
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:39 PM   #13
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
I think someone said they paid the dealer $700 including alignment. My alignment cost $90. so I can save the $610 and do it myself.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #14
rti35

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06
Great comparison. I'm coming from a Z06 and planning on taking my SS to the track multiple times this season so I'm very interested in this upgrade. How much did your dealer charge for the install? That's what I'm worried about most - I don't mind putting $$ into the car but I'd prefer to do upgrades that I can get some $$ back on and unfortunately that likely wouldn't be the case with this upgrade
rti35 is offline   Reply With Quote