Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #57
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtirocz View Post
The transmission support and transmission mount should be removed as an assembly (as mentioned above.

4 bolts for the trans support crossmember. Torque spec = 58 Nm (43 lb ft)
2 bolts for the trans mount. Torque spec = 58 Nm (43 lb ft)
Thanks! So this came from the Service Desk at your dealer? Just trying to be clear about the source of this info.
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:44 AM   #58
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Thanks! So this came from the Service Desk at your dealer? Just trying to be clear about the source of this info.
I used this manual here (specific to '16): https://sellfy.com/p/M8JD/

From what I can tell, it appears to be the same material the dealer uses (for instance, it matches the dealer procedures posted in the prior thread). I do plan to get the Helms electronic copy of the manual once it's available for 2017, but using this to get me by before then.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:44 PM   #59
vtirocz

Quote:
FYI: Mark114 has the 2016 Helms manual and has confirmed that the torque specs in my post above are correct.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:09 PM   #60
Shorty45

Drives: 2017 Summit White ZL1, M6
Another thought

Quote:
You're right. It would be much cleaner. By all means, take these extra steps if you feel so inclined. For me it was quicker to drain, refill, and wipe up. It gives me a little more time to go over all the drive and suspension components while I have it on the lift. The under-body parts tend to dry out and oxydize anyway so I use the oily (not drenched) rags to wipe down those dry parts.
Today I went ahead and changed transmission oil with the RP brand. Everything you pointed out with your directions and tips helped greatly Cal. I drove the car up on a pair of Race Ramps -56 and found that the mess of the oil drain wasn't too bad. Being that the front end was up, the drain was more focused over one area of the cross member. Rather than, over more area of the cross member, if the car was level. Like say on a lift. Just thought I would share that it wasn't too much to clean off. Btw, the RR-56 Ramps worked great also.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:15 PM   #61
vtirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty45 View Post
Today I went ahead and changed transmission oil with the RP brand. Everything you pointed out with your directions and tips helped greatly Cal. I drove the car up on a pair of Race Ramps -56 and found that the mess of the oil drain wasn't too bad. Being that the front end was up, the drain was more focused over one area of the cross member. Rather than, over more area of the cross member, if the car was level. Like say on a lift. Just thought I would share that it wasn't too much to clean off. Btw, the RR-56 Ramps worked great also.
Did you fill it while the car was level?

Old 10-28-2017, 09:06 PM   #62
mySSt

Drives: '11 SS M6, '14 SS 1LE, '17 SS 1LE
A couple of tips for the tranny fluid change so its not messy and so you don't have to remove the cross member:
1) When you loosen the fill plug with the wrench, tighten it back hand tight. Then loosen the temp sensor connection (located below the fill plug) and don't remove it completely out of the way and start draining the tranny fluid thru this point. You can use your other hand to then loosen the fill plug to regulate how much air it lets in. This way you control how quick the tranny fluid comes out and prevent the mess.
2) After you drain as much fluid as you can out of the temp sensor port, then put the temp sensor back in and tighten it to spec.
3) Then you use the swivel connection with your wrench to loosen the normal drain plug. Before I loosened the plug completely, I made a "diverter" out of a few layers of folded aluminum foil to slide under the drain plug port to the front side of the cross member so the fluid that will come out of the drain plug port will flow down the "diverter" to my drain pan. Regulate the flow from the drain port by not completely removing the plug out of the way.
4) After all the fluid has drained out, a little wiping with a paper towel since my diverter wasn't perfect, but very little fluid got on the cross member.

'11 CGM SS M6 ordered in 3/11, '14 BRM SS 1LE from stock in 10/13 & '17 HBM SS 1LE in 11/16 - all from BeckyD!!
mySSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 08:19 AM   #63
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
What about something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Multi-Purpose...rds=oil+funnel

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:46 AM   #64
mySSt

Drives: '11 SS M6, '14 SS 1LE, '17 SS 1LE
Good thinking, but the lack of clearance and tight geometry in the drain plug area make it so a funnel won't work. I even thought about cutting a funnel like that up and trimming it in an attempt to make it work, but settled on using the foil diverter due to the very tight spaces to work with.

'11 CGM SS M6 ordered in 3/11, '14 BRM SS 1LE from stock in 10/13 & '17 HBM SS 1LE in 11/16 - all from BeckyD!!
mySSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:34 AM   #65
MTS2020

Drives: 2017 HBM SS 1LE
Someone point me in the direction of the thread sealant/lock that you used on the M6 Transmission. Thanks in advance
MTS2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:47 PM   #66
rportnoy2004

Drives: 2016 2SS Nightfall Grey
Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question, but why couldn't one use a "suction gun" or siphon pump with long tubing to suck the fluid out through the fill plug port and straight into a container? This would avoid a mess and also obviate the need to remove the drain plug at all, which is nice, given it's hard-to-reach location. Any thoughts on whether this could work?
rportnoy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #67
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by rportnoy2004 View Post
Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question, but why couldn't one use a "suction gun" or siphon pump with long tubing to suck the fluid out through the fill plug port and straight into a container? This would avoid a mess and also obviate the need to remove the drain plug at all, which is nice, given it's hard-to-reach location. Any thoughts on whether this could work?
You absolutely can.

I use my Mityvac to to do the diff service and engine oil changes.

I will be using it to do the tranny service also. The only things to be aware of if what the inside of the case looks like at the fill port.

For an oil change, you know the dip stick runs all the way to the oil pan.

I will try the pump and see how much fluid I can evacuate. Then remove the drain plug to get the rest and check for metal.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #68
rportnoy2004

Drives: 2016 2SS Nightfall Grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
You absolutely can.

I use my Mityvac to to do the diff service and engine oil changes.

I will be using it to do the tranny service also. The only things to be aware of if what the inside of the case looks like at the fill port.

For an oil change, you know the dip stick runs all the way to the oil pan.

I will try the pump and see how much fluid I can evacuate. Then remove the drain plug to get the rest and check for metal.
Awesome, that's what I thought, and thanks for confirming my suspicion. I haven't done mine yet, its too cold in my garage here in MA to comfortably work on the car right now. If you end up doing it, I'd be really interested to know how it goes and if you encounter any issues. Thanks again.
rportnoy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:20 AM   #69
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTS2020 View Post
Someone point me in the direction of the thread sealant/lock that you used on the M6 Transmission. Thanks in advance
This stuff works good to keep threads from backing out and it won't get frozen when you want to take the plug out next time. Loctite Blue 242
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:28 AM   #70
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
subscribed for torque specs.