Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #1
trz174

Drives: Used to Drive Blue Camaros
Trunk Floorboard is Pretty Thin Near the Back

A word of caution - the trunk floorboard is much less sturdy than the 5th Gen fiberglass cover. The 5th Gen piece looked like a submarine hatch cover and is well braced but a bit heavy.

The 2SS trunk floorboard is pretty thin over the spare tire well and any significant concentration of weight (like a floor jack and tool boxes) will probably cause some damage. There is no bracing in the center. Great for losing weight overall but not so great if you are carrying something small and heavy.

I'm using a 1/2 inch piece of plywood to spread the weight over a larger area. It worked for two trips to the track with a couple of tool boxes, floor jack and air compressor. Two 50lb suitcases were fine without the plywood because they spread the weight better. I'ts probably fine with groceries or golf clubs but I wouldn't suggest tossing or dropping something heavy in rear center of the truck area.

I guess it's all about tradeoffs when it comes to weight - no complaint from me, but something folks should know up front rather than discover by surprise.
trz174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:24 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by trz174 View Post
A word of caution - the trunk floorboard is much less study than the 5th Gen fiberglass cover. The 5th Gen piece looked like a submarine hatch cover and is well braced but a bit heavy.

The 2SS trunk floorboard is pretty thin over the spare tire well and any significant concentration of weight (like a floor jack and tool boxes) will probably cause some damage. There is no bracing in the center. Great for losing weight overall but not so great if you are carrying something small and heavy.

I'm using a 1/2 inch piece of plywood to spread the weight over a larger area. It worked for two trips to the track with a couple of tool boxes, floor jack and air compressor. Two 50lb suitcases were fine without the plywood because they spread the weight better. I'ts probably fine with groceries or golf clubs but I wouldn't suggest tossing or dropping something heavy in rear center of the truck area.

I guess it's all about tradeoffs when it comes to weight - no complaint from me, but something folks should know up front rather than discover by surprise.
Excellent info....thx
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:20 AM   #3
LesserO2Evils
GM repeat offender...

Drives: 16 2SS
Lol. So no fat girls in the trunk....GOT IT!!!

INCOMING: ‘22 ZL1, Satin Steel. A10. PDR.
Ordered: 03/02/22.
LesserO2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 12:43 PM   #4
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserO2Evils View Post
Lol. So no dead hookers in the trunk....GOT IT!!!
Fixed.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
Tr6
The Dogfather

Drives: #1 off the line for a customer. '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by trz174 View Post
A word of caution - the trunk floorboard is much less sturdy than the 5th Gen fiberglass cover. The 5th Gen piece looked like a submarine hatch cover and is well braced but a bit heavy.

Great heads up! I should've mentioned this when I picked up the car but never got around to it nor did I care. I may just go into my father in laws shed and cut up a perfect plywood cutout for the trunk just in case! Thank you for the idea!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imp View Post
Fixed.
I don't know man... Seems like you need good weight distribution so you may need a saw if you catch my drift!
#33 off the line #1 order for Customer.
Build thread HERE!
Story of my delivery HERE!
Tr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:42 PM   #6
Imp
Dodges all the cones

Drives: Soon
It's all about the sloshing.... I prefer a trunk monkey myself that distributes weight in cornering...

--kC
OG Trunk Monkey Racing
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote