Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-23-2020, 03:50 PM   #6693
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Another car I think deserves to be thrown in all the comparisons is the GTR and M5. They are priced in the range of the CF5 and both have more to offer. I don't think the B5/CF5 would stand a shot against those two but it would be fun to see them all lined up.
Yeah, a GTR would be a solid contender, but a different price range ($115k-$215k). Keep inching up, you're at a ZR1 and beyond.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 03:53 PM   #6694
RobbyBeefcake87

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
You may be right, I am just making a guess on the limited evidence we have.

From what we have seen the base 500 is closer to the CFTP(which is good for the base or bad for the CFTP) than the ZL1 is to the ZLE.

Base 500 was what 3 seconds slower than the CFTP around VIR Full. The ZLE was almost 4 or 5 seconds faster than the ZL1 at the VIR layout used in LL. So if the CFTP is within spitting distance of the ZLE, the Base 500 in theory should be slightly head of the base ZL1 or right there with it
This is true, but the VIR grand is quite a bit longer than the VIR Full configuration with quite a few more tight turns and curves. Kind of hard to compare the times given the fact that 3 seconds on a 2 minute track could easily be extrapolated to become 4 to 5 seconds on an almost 3 minute track.

On top of that the VIR Grand would probably favor the cftp's track specific handling goodies vs the base's with the extra maneuvering required vs the straighter higher speed VIR Full.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:43 PM   #6695
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post
It's the 'Murican trifecta. I hate to admit it, but part of me really likes those RE widebodies. If I wanted a big dumb car to cruise around in it'd be one of those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Another car I think deserves to be thrown in all the comparisons is the GTR and M5. They are priced in the range of the CF5 and both have more to offer. I don't think the B5/CF5 would stand a shot against those two but it would be fun to see them all lined up.
I like that they are keeping it with the three domestics. I'd like to see them include the base ZL1 and GT500 with the RE, ZLE and GT500 CFTP. That way we could see how the two base cars really slot between the full track cars.

Its also great that the Redeye is included. The Dodge counterpart is often left out so the contrast/$$$ will be interesting

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:03 PM   #6696
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Perfect Garage:
Base Gt500 - daily driver
ZLE - track car
Redeye - drag car
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 02:56 AM   #6697
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
Perfect Garage:
ZLE - track car
Redeye - drag car
This!
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #6698
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Perfect Garage:
ZLE - track car
Redeye - drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
This!
Can't argue this list - unless I can substitute the Demon for the RE

Truthfully though, I wouldn't spend Demon money on a drag car - if I were to spend that amount, a COPO, Drag Pack, or CobraJet should be considered first - much faster and more purpose built.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 09:26 AM   #6699
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
You may be right, I am just making a guess on the limited evidence we have.

From what we have seen the base 500 is closer to the CFTP(which is good for the base or bad for the CFTP) than the ZL1 is to the ZLE.

Base 500 was what 3 seconds slower than the CFTP around VIR Full. The ZLE was almost 4 or 5 seconds faster than the ZL1 at the VIR layout used in LL. So if the CFTP is within spitting distance of the ZLE, the Base 500 in theory should be slightly head of the base ZL1 or right there with it
Damnit Robby beat me with the fact drop again down below. He's 100% right again, you have to look at the percentages when comparing tracks of different lengths. Also taking into account track complexity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Interesting comments about the tires on the ZLE. Have there been any ZL1s run with ZLE tires and compared?
Yeah quite a few guys over in the track section have. The G3Rs are very close to a Hoosier R7 slick, they are amazing tires. I have a set of used 285/35/20 G3Rs to try this year that i picked up for $100. Even running 285s vs 305s on the rear and the 35 sidewalls I expect them to be faster than the regular G3s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyBeefcake87 View Post
A part of me really wants them to run and m6 and a10 ZLE for shits and gigs. At VIR the m6 seemed to hold it's own against the a10.
The autos aren't as big of an advantage on the track as they are at the strip, but amateur vs pro i think would show a bigger gap between auto and manual. Also consistency will favor the auto.

Quote:
This is true, but the VIR grand is quite a bit longer than the VIR Full configuration with quite a few more tight turns and curves. Kind of hard to compare the times given the fact that 3 seconds on a 2 minute track could easily be extrapolated to become 4 to 5 seconds on an almost 3 minute track.

On top of that the VIR Grand would probably favor the cftp's track specific handling goodies vs the base's with the extra maneuvering required vs the straighter higher speed VIR Full.
see above comment

Quote:
Perfect Garage:
ZLE - track car
Redeye - drag car
I'm spending more money than you and not considering any of these cars in my perfect garage, but I like the analogy for this comparison.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:16 AM   #6700
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

That is true. My line of thinking was more along the lines of seeing how each base car compares to its track pack version.
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #6701
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Quote:
Perfect Garage:
ZLE - track car
Redeye - drag car
I'm not a drag racer so my list would be something like this.

HC/Redeye - DD

ZLE - Stripped/caged/racing seats/harnesses etc track car since I would have a comfortable muscle car DD.

Unknown 3rd car. Something that is a manual two seater and light for a fun weekend/backroad car. Probably be a Porsche Cayman/911. But, c'mon GM through a manual in a GS C8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #6702
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
Damnit Robby beat me with the fact drop again down below. He's 100% right again, you have to look at the percentages when comparing tracks of different lengths. Also taking into account track complexity.

Yeah quite a few guys over in the track section have. The G3Rs are very close to a Hoosier R7 slick, they are amazing tires. I have a set of used 285/35/20 G3Rs to try this year that i picked up for $100. Even running 285s vs 305s on the rear and the 35 sidewalls I expect them to be faster than the regular G3s.

The autos aren't as big of an advantage on the track as they are at the strip, but amateur vs pro i think would show a bigger gap between auto and manual. Also consistency will favor the auto.

see above comment

I'm spending more money than you and not considering any of these cars in my perfect garage, but I like the analogy for this comparison.
Haha! Yeah, I should go bigger if it's only a dream.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 10:36 AM   #6703
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post

see above comment

Looks like I stalk the forums harder lol

When I bought new tires earlier this year I thought a out trying out some g3r's since they make them in 20s but got cold feet and stuck with the g3's.

I'm simple hillbilly American car fan... dream 3 car garage would be; c7 zr1 m7, heads cam fbo and strip down my ss 1le, and either a raptor or 2020 duramax at4. As much as I like the zl1 1le I'd go zr1 all day if I could lol

If I could magically have any of the 3 muscle cars on the video it'd be the gt500 cftp. I'd sell it immediately at only a slight adm to undercut the market and buy an m6 zle + a Colorado zr2 lol
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.

Last edited by RobbyBeefcake87; 01-24-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #6704
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Haha! Yeah, I should go bigger if it's only a dream.
Quote:
Looks like I stalk the forums harder lol

When I bought new tires earlier this year I thought a out trying out some g3r's since they make them in 20s but got cold feet and stuck with the g3's.

I'm simple hillbilly American car fan... dream 3 car garage would be; c7 zr1 m7, heads cam fbo and strip down my ss 1le, and either a raptor or 2020 duramax at4. As much as I like the zl1 1le I'd go zr1 all day if I could lol

If I could magically have any of the 3 muscle cars on the video it'd be the gt500 cftp. I'd sell it immediately at only a slight adm to undercut the market and but an m6 zle + a Colorado zr2 lol
Hell, give me 2 McLaren Sennas and 3/4 ton Duramax Denalli

I only bought these wrong size G3Rs because I got them for $100. The guy had them listed for a couple months for $400 then $300 and I didn't bite. But I saw he reduced them to $100 and I jumped right on them.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #6705
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
Quote:
I was thinking the same, but after running our R888Rs on the track I think the G3Rs will be too much grip for the spring rate in the Mag suspension. I don't know if the ZL1 has different spring rates from the SSLE, but I would want more spring rate to go stickier than 'normal' R comps.

Not that the car wouldn't be faster, but it felt better balanced with the G3s than the R888Rs, so I think the G3Rs would really feel like too much tire.
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 12:45 PM   #6706
RobbyBeefcake87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
I was thinking the same, but after running our R888Rs on the track I think the G3Rs will be too much grip for the spring rate in the Mag suspension. I don't know if the ZL1 has different spring rates from the SSLE, but I would want more spring rate to go stickier than 'normal' R comps.

Not that the car wouldn't be faster, but it felt better balanced with the G3s than the R888Rs, so I think the G3Rs would really feel like too much tire.
Seems like the right decision to go with then... plus I was worried about the daily and rain driving capabilities of the g3r's.