#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 10-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #15
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzycamaro View Post
I thought heavy steering helps fine adjustment. Is it true?
There is some truth to that.

Not sure how much it relates, but I watched a documentary on the Blue Angels and they specifically tighten up the throttle control lever way higher that the typical fleet jet due to them needing to make more concise throttle inputs.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #16
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
There is some truth to that.

Not sure how much it relates, but I watched a documentary on the Blue Angels and they specifically tighten up the throttle control lever way higher that the typical fleet jet due to them needing to make more concise throttle inputs.
I get the logic, but steering inputs can need to be fast and drastic. Throttle controls in a plane is likely going to be much more consistent and require much less movement. I think the perfect example is a car running an autoX. You might need to make several abrupt maneuvers back and forth, you probably don't want a heavy weighted wheel. However I could see justification for wanting heavy steering if your running a very high speed sweeper and bouncing around in the car while trying to maintain a very consistent steering angle.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:56 PM   #17
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
sport on track and off track track mode steering is too heavy
Old 10-30-2018, 12:05 AM   #18
birdmanf16

Drives: 2022 Zl1 1lE
Send a message via MSN to birdmanf16 Send a message via Yahoo to birdmanf16
throttle in the jet = gas pedal
stick in the jet=steering wheel
birdmanf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:21 AM   #19
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by hzycamaro View Post
I thought heavy steering helps fine adjustment. Is it true?
Heavy steering does help keep you from overshooting those fine adjustments, but it doesn't inherently make those fine adjustments any more accurate. That part is up to you. It might make Interstate highway driving a little less 'nervous' when you're new to the car or tend to have "busy hands". I've driven a 1SS in Track mode, and that was my immediate impression. On track, around town, or just any driving with lots of curves and corners I wouldn't want to be working against nearly that much weight.

To me, heavy steering with little or no more feel of the road tells me that the mfr is trying to fool me. Like if they throw enough noise at me (extra steering weight) they'll expect me to think I'm getting more signal (feel) when I might even be getting less. More signal without the noise, please.

Heavy steering in an unassisted steering system is something else entirely, and has its downsides as well.

Norm
Old 10-30-2018, 07:50 AM   #20
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
In my opinion heavy steering doesnt help the feel nor the fine adjustments. It may actually work against the latter as more force is needed to move it and hence one may not be as precise as necessary. At a limit fine adjustement are usually 2 way corrections: out and back into a corner. Sometimes performed in succession and very fast. When a car starts to under or over steer. These cant be lazy, or slow lest one wont catch the car. Lighter steering makes it easier to execute this and with a better feel. In really fast sweepers, where balance is key slow hands are key, but thats another matter. I keep mine in Touring as a permanent setting as i find its feel is just right. Sport and Track are way too heavy for me.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:30 AM   #21
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
In theory, lowering the ammount of steering assist will give more feedback throught the steering wheel since there isn't as much assistance helping out. But in practice, most electricly assisted steering setups don't give much (if any) feedback to begin with, so it's not a huge difference. I can tell there is more feedback in Track mode, but it is still not as much feedback as a good hydrolic setup. So, the benefit to less assist is pretty minimal, IMHO.

My personal opinion is, I prefer a very light steering feel in most situations. I have been doing my HPDE sessions with the steering in Track mode, because I thought it would help me smooth out my hand motions in the high speed sections of the track (and it has). Now that I have more experience, I will probably go to Sport mode or even Tour mode, because of personal preference and also, I don't think I am losing much feedback anyway. But truth be told, even though I love a light steering and dislike heavy steering, the Track mode has felt great on the track, and I have had no issues with it, even in the slower sections of the track.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:04 AM   #22
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
In theory, lowering the ammount of steering assist will give more feedback throught the steering wheel since there isn't as much assistance helping out. But in practice, most electricly assisted steering setups don't give much (if any) feedback to begin with, so it's not a huge difference. I can tell there is more feedback in Track mode, but it is still not as much feedback as a good hydrolic setup. So, the benefit to less assist is pretty minimal, IMHO.

My personal opinion is, I prefer a very light steering feel in most situations. I have been doing my HPDE sessions with the steering in Track mode, because I thought it would help me smooth out my hand motions in the high speed sections of the track (and it has). Now that I have more experience, I will probably go to Sport mode or even Tour mode, because of personal preference and also, I don't think I am losing much feedback anyway. But truth be told, even though I love a light steering and dislike heavy steering, the Track mode has felt great on the track, and I have had no issues with it, even in the slower sections of the track.
Id say use whatever makes you faster

But i will also say this: it all depends on how close to a limit one drivers the car. And to get to a limit one has to exceed it sometimes. And if one exceeds it, one has to correct it as quickly as possible. Speed of correction is vital here as if one is just slightly "behind" a car - she will spin. And there is no question in my mind, that a lighter steering will permit for a faster correction as less force is needed to turn it very fast. Something that might be required to be done more than once in succession in order to catch a car and prevent a spin. If you overdrive corner entry beyond the limit and the rear steps out instantly without Stabilitrak to assist and the nose is pointing towards a concrete wall...youll know what i mean
Old 10-30-2018, 09:35 AM   #23
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post

But i will also say this: it all depends on how close to a limit one drivers the car. And to get to a limit one has to exceed it sometimes. And if one exceeds it, one has to correct it as quickly as possible. Speed of correction is vital here as if one is just slightly "behind" a car - she will spin. And there is no question in my mind, that a lighter steering will permit for a faster correction as less force is needed to turn it very fast. Something that might be required to be done more than once in succession in order to catch a car and prevent a spin. If you overdrive corner entry beyond the limit and the rear steps out instantly without Stabilitrak to assist and the nose is pointing towards a concrete wall...youll know what i mean
AMEN!!!!

TOUR MODE FOR THIS REASON!!! Ask me how I know!
Accidentally Pulled a Vaughn Gittin Jr @ turn 3 and got real familiar with the inside wall of turn 4 @ Road Atlanta.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:50 AM   #24
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Pics
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #25
TrackClub

Ooops
Old 10-30-2018, 09:52 AM   #26
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Pics
That's not a good place to spin...
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:01 AM   #27
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post

Well said. Here is a good video to illustrate quick steering input. This is from 2 years ago, me @ Putnam Park (just South of Indianapolis) in the 964. As with all 911's, the steering is very light, and communicates unbeleiveably well. All those small (and big) corrections are VERY important if you want to wheel an air cooled car at a fast pace. I ended up rotating rear tires after this session, which helped rear stablity. This is on NT01 tires.

https://youtu.be/9f9-lSKty_M
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #28
TrackClub

Great driving Provoste - as always
Here is another vid to demonstrate steering wheel corrections...slightly on a wilder side:

https://youtu.be/1jF__B1xpJY