Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
derek1387

Drives: 2015 1LS Red V6
Get a 2nd ECM for tuning?

Brand new 2015 Camaro.....would it be possible to get a 2nd ECM to tune that one, and then if there are issues/need to take to dealer, swap in the other/factory ECM?

Found new ECM's for a pretty darn good price that match the OEM part number.

Has anyone done this?
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

5th Gen V6 Performance Facebook Group
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #2
derek1387

They can see that it was flashed from what I am reading.

And..i can get a 2nd ECM for about $90.
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Thanks to Will @ Overkill Motorsports, Jason @ JacFab, Jim @ Ohio Speed, Brandon at Dream Gear, and the boys at Randy Curnow Chevrolet

Old 10-09-2015, 10:47 AM   #3
derek1387

Thats what I was worried about, but thats why i posted. My tuning buddy says it needs a factory calibration on it, which is probably what it is....but who knows.
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Old 10-09-2015, 10:58 AM   #4
derek1387

Pretty much. I called the dealer i got my car from asking about doing the 3.91 GM Perf Prats gear upgrade. They said it would "void the warranty" because it wasnt a factory part that came with the car. I was like "uh...your website says it wont void the warranty, because its a FACTORY part". The service manager basically said without saying it that he didnt want to do it.

Their sales team has been great to me. Service has always been horrible.
JacFab Machining
APDEG
Dream Gear Mobile Audio

Old 10-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #5
Awit92

Drives: 2015 camaro 2LS
I drive 45 minutes just to go to a "mod friendly" dealership. It's worth it. They pretty much told me that they get paid by GM regardless so they don't really give a crap hahaha
CAI Cold Air Intake, Vitesse Motorsports TC, Solo High Flow Cats, Muffler + resonator delete, Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe, Apex Air scoop, VMAX ported throttle body, Drake Shifter, Z28 spoiler + Zl1-addons Wickerbill, Eagle Eye U halo headlights. Items blacked out/tinted: Hood, wheels, emblems, brake lights.
Awit92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
The bow tie on the tailgate of my Silverado cracked and peeled. My local dealership told me they would get me a new one on warranty but they would not install it for me. I asked why and they said it was because I am too picky and unless it was perfect I would complain.
WTF?
This was because I brought it in for a small warranty job. Black truck, had just spent 3 days clay barring polishing and waxing it. Looked better than anything in their showroom. Those buggers washed it and left it in the sun to dry. It was covered in hard water spots. I lost it. Took it to a detailer to fix and made them pay the bill.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:41 AM   #7
vs_pete

Drives: VEII MY12 Sportwagon 3.6L LFX V6
^^^ I`m the same.
I tell them don`t wash my car thank you and they look at me like I got 2 heads lol.
vs_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:44 AM   #8
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I drive 2 hours to my dealership. (It's near my parents' house) I haven't found a single dealership in the Twin Cities metro area worth half a shit.

The dealership I bought mine from asked me WHEN I was going to be putting headers/exhaust on it. haha

As far as the ECM goes, if you can pick one up for $90, I'd try it. Keep the factory one factory, have your tuner read the OEM one, then swap ECUs. See if he could load that edited tune on the new one?
I dunno if that would work, but it's worth a shot for $90, IMO.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:58 AM   #9
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
It'd have to be programmed, so it ends up being more than $90.
You'll run out of warranty in a couple year's time anyways, I say screw it. The time just flies by, 3 years is nothing

but that is a good price for an ECM
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #10
GEN-IV
Right Cam

Drives: 2010 LS3 / 79 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek1387 View Post
They can see that it was flashed from what I am reading.

And..i can get a 2nd ECM for about $90.
So? Do you expect GM to warranty your modifications?
Old 10-10-2015, 07:25 PM   #11
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
I had a shop offer this up as an option to voiding my warranty with some of my mods. They said you have to have dealer access to do the programming required. Basically programming another ECM to mirror the original and then modify one of them.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:05 AM   #12
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
There are several potential issues that could get you caught and possibly prosecuted for attempted fraud. One is that your ECM is assigned to your VIN. Another is mileage on the car and ECM not matching. You are much better off just playing it straight. Wait for tuning until you are ready to take responsibility.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:30 AM   #13
NicKey

Drives: Nickey Super Camaro
A "tune" does not void all of your factory warranty. If it is deemed that the tune or modifications you made to your car caused the issue and or problem, and that it is not due to the MFG's materials and / or workmanship, then they can deny your claim.

Many such claims are very subjective and subject to GM audits and charge backs. Many dealers are overly cautious and finding one who is friendly to modified vehicles is priceless.
NicKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicKey View Post
A "tune" does not void all of your factory warranty. If it is deemed that the tune or modifications you made to your car caused the issue and or problem, and that it is not due to the MFG's materials and / or workmanship, then they can deny your claim.

Many such claims are very subjective and subject to GM audits and charge backs. Many dealers are overly cautious and finding one who is friendly to modified vehicles is priceless.
This is absolutely correct, but unfortunately it sounds like they have one of those service departments that refuses to touch anything that didn't come on the car when it rolled off the assembly line. Including GM Performance parts . Finding a good place to take your car is worth the effort and a bit of driving.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote