Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-10-2015, 01:21 PM   #15
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
Now i'm worried. Knock on wood no issues or indications thus far but I bought 4-5 oil changes worth of oil and filters from autozone when they had a good sale on it months ago. I change the oil very 7500 or so miles or when the indicator reaches 20-25%. How can I keep an accurate record of oil changes to prove they were done properly if i bought all the stuff in one shot?

You can't. That's the problem with buying bulk.

Felix - Speeding in my SS!
Old 10-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #16
GEN-IV
Right Cam

Drives: 2010 LS3 / 79 Z28
Subscribed
Old 10-10-2015, 01:30 PM   #17
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
changing your oil when your supposed to isn't the same as regularly checking the oil level. not sure why some of you think simply doing the change when your supposed to (about every 7500 miles) will convince GM that you checked the oil regularly. I don't believe anywhere in the manual it says you don't have to check the oil level between changes.
Funny - I have not seen where anyone says that you don't need to check the oil regularly.
Tenring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:49 PM   #18
jd10013

Drives: 2012 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenring View Post
Funny - I have not seen where anyone says that you don't need to check the oil regularly.

they're saying just bring in oil change records, and what exactly is that going to accomplish or prove? that he changed his oil? BFD. they aren't covering it under warranty because it was low on oil, not that the oil wasn't changed. and showing you did oil changes doesn't prove the lack of oil was the result of a defect.

is it really that hard to understand?
jd10013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 02:59 PM   #19
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Yes, you should absolutely check the oil on the regular basis between changes, no doubt. However, I would argue that if the protocal were followed, there is no way the engine would consume or lose nearly the entire crankcase between changes unless there was another issue/defect.

Now, if you've had the car for three years, driven 45K miles and have never changed the oil (this actually happens more than you think), darn right the repair is on you.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #20
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10013 View Post
they're saying just bring in oil change records, and what exactly is that going to accomplish or prove? that he changed his oil? BFD. they aren't covering it under warranty because it was low on oil, not that the oil wasn't changed. and showing you did oil changes doesn't prove the lack of oil was the result of a defect.

is it really that hard to understand?
It would absolutely prove that the customer took all proper and reasonable care steps, and that the engine suffered an excessive oil consumption issue which created the low oil condition in an unreasonable and unexpected time frame. Excessive oil consumption is a warrantied repair ergo, engine damage from said condition is a warrantied repair.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:46 PM   #21
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
I buy my oil and filters in quantity, but keep the receipts. I log all the oil changes in my manual.

Also oil life resets are detected and logged by On Star.

But, like everyone here has already said, you gotta check the oil level with the dip stick! When you first get a car, new or used, you gotta check it with every gas tank fill up to get a sense of the particular car's oil consumption. I've had new cars that need a quart every 3000 miles, and others have have needed nothing between oil changes.

My present Camaro goes 10,000 miles with no perceptible change in oil level, for example.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:03 PM   #22
Tenring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
I buy my oil and filters in quantity, but keep the receipts. I log all the oil changes in my manual.

Also oil life resets are detected and logged by On Star.
Good points, I also keep my receipts.

Even if you don't have On Star, wouldn't the vehical keep a record of the oil life resets? The reset dates somewhat matching what is written in the Manual and receipts should be very compelling proof that the oil change was performed at a given time.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:36 PM   #23
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Good points, I also keep my receipts.

Even if you don't have On Star, wouldn't the vehical keep a record of the oil life resets? The reset dates somewhat matching what is written in the Manual and receipts should be very compelling proof that the oil change was performed at a given time.
Just because you reset the OLM, does not mean you changed the oil, so I'm not sure this would really mean all that much.
Old 10-10-2015, 04:53 PM   #24
Tenring

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
Just because you reset the OLM, does not mean you changed the oil, so I'm not sure this would really mean all that much.
Doesn't mean what ever shop you take it to did either.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #25
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Quote:
Doesn't mean what ever shop you take it to did either.

But at least there would be a dated receipt to match.

Felix - Speeding in my SS!
Old 10-10-2015, 05:52 PM   #26
yescats

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS L99 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clypherus View Post
Hey All,

I am in need of some serious help. My engine on my 2012 2LT just blew at 45000. The diagnosis was a low end failure, but they did not take all apart to see if it was the crank, rods, or bearings. The dealer is saying it blew due to low oil so I am not covered, but I check my gauges every morning and there was nothing unusual that day.That car had just started making a clunking noise.

Also, a quick google search for "LFX clunking noise" or something similar revealed a bunch of other cases of engines blowing as early as 2500 miles. There appears to be issues with the crank bearings on these.

As of right now the options I was given was to pay $9k for a rebuild or tow it home. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Francisco
Any other cars I've had that went low on oil threw a check engine light. At worst they overheated, lost power and started knocking. I had plenty of time to shut it down.
yescats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #27
GEN-IV
Right Cam

Drives: 2010 LS3 / 79 Z28
Does anybody on the forum have a 3.6 that needs oil added between oil changes? I doubt you ran it out of oil.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #28
lawman007
Panama-Gulf War Vet

Drives: '11 SW 1LT/RS 6M
My nephew has a Smart car, and he took it in to a Valvoline oil change store/place. They removed the plug, changed the oil cross thredded the plug when they put it back, changed the filter, then topped it off. It was leaking when he got home, so he went back. They learned that they cross threaded the plug and said that they wouldn't do anything about it. Sooo, my nephew had to take it to a garage and get a new pan with plug. Plus the labor it ran about $650.00.

Two things, I try to do my own oil changes because of that very situation which is not limited to third party retail outlets(dealers can do it too). This comes under the heading of people are human(falable).

The other thing, if you don't check the level periodically(say after an oil change) how would know it is at the proper level?

I also change mine when it is about 10-15% if I don't store it. I changed it before and after I store it.