Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #113
RobWH

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
The FT1 is going to be Nissan GTR money or better. It is not going to be competing with the Camaro for customers.
Ya think? I don't. If it lacks AWD and perhaps even a 6cyl. engine and... it can't keep up with the GTR, how would Toyota make any sales? I'd never be stunned by 80k(CTS-V territory), but I could also see this car in the 50-60k range if it gets a turbo 4... or a non turbo, whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahlee View Post
Um, no, but I had to talk my Dad out of getting one. He wanted to be miserly about gas mileage. He ended up getting a Ford Focus ST like this one:
I must admit, I like those! I test drove 6 of 'em before finally saying no. I really liked them, but wanted an automatic even more than a gas miser w/ pep. Against a SMART, all day, ever day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodBoss View Post
Toyota makes a very good car. The Camry is a great car for the money. But a Toyota Supra will never be a Camaro, the Camaro is just cooler and always will because of it's place in automotive history. it's gonna be a quick sporty car that is for sure.
The Supra isn't on Camaro level here, but it's worldwide... it simply has an impossible following. Kinda like the Mustang now... all over and people love it. It's also very different than any pre Gen 5 Camaro in terms of what's included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb66 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post
You guys! C'mon, I'd expect 'car guys/gals' to know a little more about the next possible Supra than this.

First, it may or may not be called Supra, but odds are it will be. Second, it is a joint venture with BMW, and will likely be the next Z4 as well.
Maybe because you are posting on a CAMARO site where the majority doesn't really have any interest about the latest rice from Toyota.........
In his defense, I believe Camaro owners deserve more respect than this. We're all "car guys" here and if that's truly the case, we should like plenty and not feel "hate" about any car unless it's truly known to be a terrible vehicle. That said, I still haven't seen a thing suggesting BMW is remotely attached and Toyota flatly states it's all them, w/o mention of BMW in any press or in the unveiling
RobWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #114
RobWH

Drives: Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red2014SS View Post
For the kind of money that Toyota will want, you will be able to buy a nice Vette. And the Vette will crush the Supra. So unless you are absolutely in love with Toyota for some reason, I don't see it as any competition for the Camaro.

If they do price it at Camaro levels, then expect a riced up Celica with extra high spoilers and probably a turbo-4. At that price point, you'll be able to choose between a Supra and the I4 Camaro, with the Camaro still being about 10k cheaper, knowing Toyota's history.
If they produce the car w/ a 6cyl twin turbo, not just any Corvette is going to crush it. We've been down that street before. Supra was no joke and while it cost plenty, it had amenities and the "rare" factor. While it was clearly more liked than Corvette in terms of build quality and whatever, I personally chose the Corvette over it, but the 'vette was notably cheaper at the time and I personally felt I'd be more comfortable wrenching on the 'vette, so that is what settled it.

Regardless, I don't see this priced on Camaro 4 or 6cyl levels. High end SS, possibly. Still, I've not seen a thing saying it's a go for production.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR 1 View Post
Wow! Five pages debating a car that doesn't even exist. The CONCEPT car wasn't even called a Supra and Toyota never said it was going to be built.
That's where I was on page 1 or 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster View Post
I'm surprised so many here don't have respect for a Supra. Must've lost to one too many times in the 90s.
Let's face it, most members here were only born during the 90's! I'm probably wrong, but it seems that's the case. They largely only know what they've read or heard about Supra... trailer queen, etc. and don't know that, once people figured out how to make it hook up... serious competitor.

Quote:
I hope it does come back, but if it does, all signs point to it costing ZL1 or Corvette money... And obviously the proper decision in such a situation is a Corvette. Probably won't be seeing very many badass LS swaps this time around either.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Its the same as the old classic muscle cars. I don't think they get enough respect either imo.
I think so too, but would point out(as most here just don't know), the Supra TT of the last gen(ending in '98) would easily lay waste to most Muscle cars and came w/ some really neat trucks inside. Of course, it had no chance of taking the family to the grocery store and for most, wouldn't do a smokey burnout...
RobWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:45 PM   #115
oldfriend

Drives: Fiat 500 E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster View Post
I'm surprised so many here don't have respect for a Supra. Must've lost to one too many times in the 90s.

I hope it does come back, but if it does, all signs point to it costing ZL1 or Corvette money... And obviously the proper decision in such a situation is a Corvette. Probably won't be seeing very many badass LS swaps this time around either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkdoc View Post
No way in hell.
This may convert you !
Attached Images

oldfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:11 PM   #116
revived
Vrrrm.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
its not even a supra?

revived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:23 AM   #117
1hevy_chevy

Drives: Nightfall Gray 2016 6M 2SS
Doesn't take much for a Supra to walk anything in this entire forum. Just saying
1hevy_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:01 AM   #118
blackedOUTSS610

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS
Personally ... I purchased my Camaro bc of how badass it looks. Even stock .. they look so good! After a few mods - I love mine. Each day I walk out to my car I am still excited to start it up, drive it, etc. To me - the (2) are not even close in looks. I know I will probably get bashed ... but a lot of the Supra's around me sound/look like shit IMO. I am sure some of them can smoke my car but my overall goal is not to win races on the street/strip.
blackedOUTSS610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #119
cadyshac
It's in the hole!

Drives: '11 2SS L99 SGM, '18 2SS, M6, HWSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackedOUTSS610 View Post
Personally ... I purchased my Camaro bc of how badass it looks. Even stock .. they look so good! After a few mods - I love mine. Each day I walk out to my car I am still excited to start it up, drive it, etc. To me - the (2) are not even close in looks. I know I will probably get bashed ... but a lot of the Supra's around me sound/look like shit IMO. I am sure some of them can smoke my car but my overall goal is not to win races on the street/strip.
cadyshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #120
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:

Yep. The car guys get it.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #121
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
I agree my mods and then recent dyno tune my car is exactly how I want it. Sounds the way I want. I even had to shop for the colour. When you have a vision of what you want then get it ...the feeling is great. I bought my car to run hard and look great...thats what I have. Good points.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #122
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
... Exactly! There is always someone who is faster, no matter what you drive. I don't care if they put a rocket booster on the Supra, it won't be in my driveway.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:52 AM   #123
gpskinzhut

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Regardless of how it performs, the concept is hideous and the production design is dull. No thanks.

2017 ZL1 A10
2017 2SS M6: (SOLD) || 2014 2LT Convertible: (SOLD) || 2010 2LT M6 Supercharged:(SOLD) || 1987 IROC-Z 5.0 M5: (SOLD)
gpskinzhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #124
shrinkdoc

Drives: SRT Yugo GT Super Sport with Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMfan454 View Post
Not sure if anyone ever drove one of those Supras from the mid/late nineties but they were not anywhere close to typical Toyota build quality. The one I drove was fast as hell but it had the build quality of a 90's Camaro. The interior creaked and was flimsy and the thing rattled everywhere. On Motorweek, when they did a high speed run, the hood flipped up on them and they had to duct tape it down. So for $40K plus, the Camaro was a better buy then and I suspect the Gen 6 Camaro will be the same. Although a somewhat different type of sports car.

Toyota quality has been hyped since the 70s. Nissan the same way. Anyone driven a 240 or 280Z. They were rattle traps that shook themselves apart and felt like driving on bricks instead of shocks.
shrinkdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:19 PM   #125
Chuckem12

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS (2SS/RS)
For the price of the new supra.... i'd rather step into a new CTS-V and pocket the extra coin for a bunch of lap dances from the girls.
Chuckem12 is offline   Reply With Quote