Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-25-2024, 01:11 PM   #1
Camaro_Fuzion

Drives: 2022 Chevy Camaro 2SS Redline
How on earth can anyone install smoked Rear Reflectors on their 2016-2024 Camaro?

I am having a hard time trying to install smoked rear reflectors on my 2022 Chevy Camaro. Reaching into such a tight space is tasking. Any suggestions on how to work smarter, not harder with this installation?

Hard to reach space

Old 04-25-2024, 01:19 PM   #2
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I’ve done it twice without even lifting the car up. Smaller guy so I can just slide under there. Having said that I am literally working blind. So getting the screw out is the easier part. The trick is to get the right sized screw driver so it fits in that spot and between the exhaust suit case. Once the screw driver head is directly into the screw, press inward and turn as they screwed it in pretty tightly from the factory.

To get the new one in I used painters tape to tape the screw to the screw driver. I think I also try getting the screw through the hole before completing putting the new reflector in.

Hope this helps. Just keep working at it and you’ll eventually get it. You’ll be tempted to just go buy double sided tape multiple times but I promise you you can figure it out without it.

Prior:
2016 Camaro 1SS
2007 Mustang GT
2008 Civic Si
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 01:31 PM   #3
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
I just did them on mine last week. I followed the removal of the lower diffuser from this vid:

pretty simple process, of course just make sure you don't break any tabs off.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:40 PM   #4
Zapote21
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 2SS
Both times I have done mine, I did them when I was doing the exhaust. :-) So no exhaust, super easy to reach.
2016 C7 DSOM
2012 2SS yellow vert
2017 2LT Krypton Green
2018 2LT Hot wheels crush
2020 2SS Shock vert.
2017 2SS Krypton Green coupe
Zapote21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 02:01 PM   #5
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
I did it without lifting or removing anything, pain in the ass, but it can be done... Took me about 30 minutes or so... Reach over the exhaust from the outboard side...

Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 03:17 PM   #6
Bumbleboy92
Long hauler

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I did on my 2016, from what I remember the 2016-2018 was easier than 2019+

Even then I couldn’t see the bolts and everything was by feel, I could however reach the bolts with my fingertips enough to move them around
Happiness: Infinite

Bumbleboy92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 04:00 PM   #7
Caerus

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
My write up from another thread.

Patience is a virtue for this "apparently innocuous" easy procedure. This is mainly a blind, feel and touch procedure. First thing is run the screws into the new reflectors where the plastic screw receptacle is to get a good internal thread started. This will make the task of blindly attaching and tightening the screw easier later.

Aim a flash light at the area where you will put a small Phillips screw driver (preferably magnetized) into the black abyss and attempt to extract the small OEM screw. If you are lucky after many tries to get the little tip into the screw and slowly, delicately, gently un-screw the fastener. You will drop it inside and must retrieve it with a slender pen magnet. The red reflector comes out easily.

I used the OEM screw (kind of mistake) which has a built-in washer versus the supplied screw which is shorter and a separate washer. Put a small orientation screw driver from the outside in to find the area first where you want to put the screw in from the inside. My screw driver was magnetized enough to hold the screw while I attempted to put it in a tiny hole that you cannot see. This is the most frustrating part. Once obtained the area where you will feed in the screw, pull out the orientation screw driver from the outside. Put your finger in that same hole area while you feed the screw from inside. Eventually you will feel the point of the screw with your other hand/finger outside. With that same outside hand place the new reflector in and try to start the screw to bite into the plastic hole. Accomplishing this task is a great relief. Tighten gently the screw carefully as not to risk the screw driver falling off the screw. Maybe 20 minutes of frustration. One down, one more to go.

I did the other side the same way, but for some reason I could not completely tighten the OEM screw (reflector was to lose) and wasted a lot of time. Took a break then went back creeping under the car to start all over. Removed the new reflector and decided to use the smaller screw/washer provided. These screws are shorter, hence easier to apply and overall better (guess that is why they included them). Next my magnetized Phillip screw driver went limp and would not pick up the screw. I resorted to blue painter’s tape wrapped around the tip and the screw/washer to hold them in place. This time luck was on my side and I was able to remove and replace quickly in five- or ten-minutes total.

What a fun project and a challenging surprise, but totally worth the outcome. I think the rear end looks so much better.

Old 04-25-2024, 04:24 PM   #8
havelegs

Drives: '23 LT1 A10
Just watch the vid I posted and remove the diffuser. Stop complicating it.
Old Yesterday, 06:23 AM   #9
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
Don't have sausage hands. Use your sense of touch. Use the right tools.

They are annoying but easy to swap without removing anything, even with the exhaust still in place.
Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Don't have sausage hands. Use your sense of touch. Use the right tools.

They are annoying but easy to swap without removing anything, even with the exhaust still in place.
This.

I didn't remove anything. It wasn't convenient, and couldn't see what I was doing while doing it, but the right tool, as stated, made it quick.

Worth it.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:03 AM   #11
Deacon Blues

Drives: 2024 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahurtz View Post
Don't have sausage hands.

Welp, so much for this project
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM   #12
Annihilate

Drives: 2024 2SS Camaro, 1988 IROC Z
Send a message via Skype™ to Annihilate
I was also able to do it without lifting or removing anything

Simply gotta go by feel as everyone stated. Driver side was easier than passenger side for me for some reason.

Annihilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM   #13
DamonZ28

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS
I did it too, without removing anything. Just did it by feel. Took maybe 30 minutes, much of which was spent trying to find one of the screws that dropped.
RUXIFEY Smoked LED Side Marker Lights / Black SS emblem on rear bumper / Blue SS vinyl overlay on front bumper emblem / Wildhammer Rear Dark Reflectors / Trim Illusion Gloss Black Door Handle Covers / eBay Black Fuel Door / Screaming Chicken Fender Hash Marks / Color-Matched G2 Caliper Paint
RE Audio RFX10D4 10" Sub / Hand-made sub enclosure / Hifonics Zeus ZRX1200.1D amp / JL Audio LoC-22 line output converter / Sub Thump Plug N Play T-Harness With ANC Defeat Harness Kit

My Camaro Journal
DamonZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM   #14
roostere4

Drives: 1987 IROC, 2020 ZL1
It's not easy but can be done.
All of the suggestions above are spot on.

I'll magnetized screwdriver is so helpful, and also a screwdriver that isn't too long is another big plus.
roostere4 is offline   Reply With Quote