Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #183
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
something else to consider:

Did it ever occur to anyone that perhaps there ARE some non-traditional buyers who would buy a Mustang with a 4 cylinder?

Not everyone wants a 400+ horsepower V8 - or, for that matter, a 300+ hp V6?

As a product planner - one needs to consider this........
How about did it ever occur that there ARE some buyers out there that would buy a Z28? Yes without the slash. Price point the same as let's say the Dusk, Hot wheels SE.

Not everyone can afford a $60-70k car that is not daily driven capable.

GM needs needs to consider this.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #184
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
How about did it ever occur that there ARE some buyers out there that would buy a Z28? Yes without the slash.

Not everyone can afford a $60-70k car that is not daily driven capable.

GM needs needs to consider this.
What is a Z28 without the slash? For the LS1 Camaros, it was just the base V8. If that's what you mean, then that's the SS.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #185
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
What is a Z28 without the slash? For the LS1 Camaros, it was just the base V8. If that's what you mean, then that's the SS.
I'm pretty sure the 4th Gen had both an SS and Z28 that coexisted.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #186
Bhobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
I'm pretty sure the 4th Gen had both an SS and Z28 that coexisted.
Yeah, but the SS was a performance option on the Z28.

I meant the 5th gen SS is a base V8, similar to the Z28 of the 4th gen.

What would the 5th gen Z28 be to you?
Old 01-23-2014, 01:25 AM   #187
aintgonnahappn

Drives: 12 Gen Coupe, 13 4runner limited
I have read through the majority of this thread and I am perplexed at the reaction to a 4 cylinder in the Camaro. I understand the knucklehead idea that american muscle has to be 8 cylinder or flop, and part of my sole still loves to hear an 8 cylinder sing. But truth be told we are one of the last countries that stick to the bigger is better philosophy. Europe has been downsizing from v12's and v10's over the last two decades, and v6 and v8 options down to turbo 4s and 6's. There are a few examples of them moving up, but for the most part mainstream models have down sized.

Another issue that is coming up is the government cafe rules, which state by 2025 the fleet average for each automaker must have a combined mpg of 54.5 mpg. Now that number sounds outlandish but the calculation is a little different, and actually gives credits for a number of reasons, I beleive someone stated it equates to 40.5-42 mpg EPA rating. This is a serious issues, and is one of the many reasons that companies such as Ford are starting to warm up to the idea of a 4 cylinder as the base engine, and turbo sixes in their trucks to replace the v8. That is also the reason why they have started aluminum cabs and beds in their trucks. It is really a race.

Another thing that is going to hit all of us, as state legislators are paying attention to what the west is piloting. Both Carbon Emission taxation and mileage tax. Both have been discussed as a way of pushing people to more efficient cars while maintaining precious tax dollars the states are losing as more efficient cars are uses less gas. To avoid this carbon tax, which will be calculated by average carbon emmision per mile, multiplied by the number of miles driven, is already used in a number of countries in Europe.

When developing new models these are a few things that have to be considered. And I don't understand why people get so up in arms when a company provides an option such as a turbo 4 mill. You are not required to buy the damn thing. And the fact of the matter is you get more gains, for less, when an engine is already boosted. The ford mill will be 325-350 hp 4 banger, will weigh 100-150 lbs less than the v8 about 50 lbs less than the 6 cylinder. And will be about 2k from 450-500 hp depending on what type of internal it has. And will probably still get 28-32 on the high way.

And that is the potential. My Gen Coupe has a larger Turbo on it, its a 4 banger, pumping out 399 hp and 362 lb ft of torque..... and the best thing is I get 31 mpg on the highway as long as im out of boost. I have to be going around 80 to be pushing boost in 6th gear. And that is a small 2.0L mill. It will just be another option.......not the end of the damn world.
aintgonnahappn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:40 AM   #188
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgonnahappn View Post
I have read through the majority of this thread and I am perplexed at the reaction to a 4 cylinder in the Camaro. I understand the knucklehead idea that american muscle has to be 8 cylinder or flop, and part of my sole still loves to hear an 8 cylinder sing. But truth be told we are one of the last countries that stick to the bigger is better philosophy. Europe has been downsizing from v12's and v10's over the last two decades, and v6 and v8 options down to turbo 4s and 6's. There are a few examples of them moving up, but for the most part mainstream models have down sized.

Another issue that is coming up is the government cafe rules, which state by 2025 the fleet average for each automaker must have a combined mpg of 54.5 mpg. Now that number sounds outlandish but the calculation is a little different, and actually gives credits for a number of reasons, I beleive someone stated it equates to 40.5-42 mpg EPA rating. This is a serious issues, and is one of the many reasons that companies such as Ford are starting to warm up to the idea of a 4 cylinder as the base engine, and turbo sixes in their trucks to replace the v8. That is also the reason why they have started aluminum cabs and beds in their trucks. It is really a race.

Another thing that is going to hit all of us, as state legislators are paying attention to what the west is piloting. Both Carbon Emission taxation and mileage tax. Both have been discussed as a way of pushing people to more efficient cars while maintaining precious tax dollars the states are losing as more efficient cars are uses less gas. To avoid this carbon tax, which will be calculated by average carbon emmision per mile, multiplied by the number of miles driven, is already used in a number of countries in Europe.

When developing new models these are a few things that have to be considered. And I don't understand why people get so up in arms when a company provides an option such as a turbo 4 mill. You are not required to buy the damn thing. And the fact of the matter is you get more gains, for less, when an engine is already boosted. The ford mill will be 325-350 hp 4 banger, will weigh 100-150 lbs less than the v8 about 50 lbs less than the 6 cylinder. And will be about 2k from 450-500 hp depending on what type of internal it has. And will probably still get 28-32 on the high way.

And that is the potential. My Gen Coupe has a larger Turbo on it, its a 4 banger, pumping out 399 hp and 362 lb ft of torque..... and the best thing is I get 31 mpg on the highway as long as im out of boost. I have to be going around 80 to be pushing boost in 6th gear. And that is a small 2.0L mill. It will just be another option.......not the end of the damn world.
What a way to make your first post with all seriousness i agree with you. my SS cobalt put down 426whp on a 2.0L stock block on 93 pump gas. when/if the turbo 4 or 6 cyl come out why will have the potential to be beast with good mpg. imo nothing beats a car with FI. just look at evo's, gen coupe, STI, Nissan GTR!!, TOYOTA SUPRA and even the new boosted ford focus. proven time and time again engine size doesn't matter unless you are looking for that traditional V8 sound or you just want the V8 motor.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #189
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:

What are your views on a "mileage" tax?

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:37 AM   #190
Bhobbs

Why do I not like a 4 banger in a Camaro? Not because of what it is but because of what it represents. It means the government is winning and forcing everything towards the ultra efficient side of things. Performance cars will become a luxury that most will not be able to afford.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #191
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
You had me on your side, right till here.

Oh..Genesis Coupe...what a piece of horse shit. I had one of the first 2010 Mirabeau Blue 3.8 Track Models, and that car was so much trouble and frustration and subpar manufacturing. Couldn't sell it fast enough...

Next time, leave that part out.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #192
King Nothing
Under a Peterbilt

Drives: Rogue, Durango and Camaro
The people who wanted a turbo 4cylinder think they'll save money on gas, you know you need to run premium right? Please no turbo 4 cylinder in a muscle car ever
Sold-2000 Camaro SS A4 Hardtop #867 of 8913
1 of 103 Bright Rally Red Hardtop SS A4 in 2000
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 By Berger #11BC21
King Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:39 PM   #193
slashsnake

Drives: 2011 ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock6.0GTO View Post
The people who wanted a turbo 4cylinder think they'll save money on gas, you know you need to run premium right? Please no turbo 4 cylinder in a muscle car ever
Well I came from a mazdaspeed3, and it was premium only but some newer turbo a cars are getting into running on regular. I believe the focus st is one, the velositer turbo, regal turbo... none of those engines really do it for me, but new tech is getting some regular unleaded t urbos out there. I guess it depends on what you can get for power vs. Highway mileage. I wouldn't want a 4 banger camaro, but a v-6 camaro never had any interest to me either.

Just so long as we never have to see the 2.5 I-4 of those early 3rd gens I am ok
slashsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #194
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
What's the point of this thread? Scott has already stated in other threads (if not this one too) that Al was misquoted...

If a 4-banger makes the business case for the 6th gen that much more attractive to GM, I welcome the option. It doesn't mean I have to buy a 4-banger, it doesn't mean anyone of us has to buy a 4-banger. It just adds an option.

If having a 4-banger in there makes a thousand more people buy a Camaro to get a taste of what the Camaro is all about, why not?

How many v6 sales have resulted in people upgrading to the SS model? We see those threads on here every single day. That's two vehicles sold in GM's book.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #195
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...death before dishonor....so shall it be for the Camaro. But the MSRP for high performance is nearing the roof. If you see something you like now, such as a SS, 1LE or ZL1...you may consider making a move. The Z/28 is all that and more but exhorbitant in price for the mainstream consumer.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:40 PM   #196
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Everyone against a Turbo I4 Camaro needs to go out and drive a Turbo I4 sports car / luxury import (say a properly tuned, bolt on VW). They are ridiculously fun and equally good on gas, while maintaining plenty of power with the reduced weight compared to an identical car will a larger engine. A ~320hp ~350ftlb twin scroll turbo I4 Camaro would be cheap and would help keep the Camaro alive when the gas mileage standards change.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 4 cylinder camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro forum, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 4 cylinder, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation, new camaro