Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-08-2023, 07:54 AM   #29
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
The ECU uses the MAF all the time for fuel control. I think what you mean is the transition between closed to open loop PE mode.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:33 AM   #30
teesee150

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
If you have a big cam, my advice is to immediately install the electronic Smoothboost bypass valve. Solves all these silly vacuum bypass-related idle and driveability issues. It’s available for the 2.9 Whipple and pretty easy to adapt to the new 3.0 too.

Full thread about it here:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ht=Smoothboost
That's pretty interesting, haven't seen that before.

Was hoping to find a cheap fix vs a $1000. If I can't figure something out, I'll probably pick this up.

I found a source for vacuum line restrictors, so I bought a bunch from .007" to .025" to see if it will slow down the action of the bypass valve
teesee150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 08:36 AM   #31
teesee150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhunsberger View Post
In my case I got this sorted several years ago. The rough spot at 2500-3000 rpm was caused by the original tune switching between MAF and speed density, this is where the transition was. After I had someone else re-tune it the issue completely went away and drivability was way better.
I've had four different tuners work on this setup so far. I've been from horrible to not so bad, but they all said the bypass is causing the problem exactly as described in the first post. I'm wondering if this more pronounced with a manual transmission as the OP and I both have manuals.

I can usually drive around the problem, but after dumping this money into the car, I shouldnt have to worry about low speed driving like I do.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:44 AM   #32
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by teesee150 View Post
I've had four different tuners work on this setup so far. I've been from horrible to not so bad, but they all said the bypass is causing the problem exactly as described in the first post. I'm wondering if this more pronounced with a manual transmission as the OP and I both have manuals.

I can usually drive around the problem, but after dumping this money into the car, I shouldnt have to worry about low speed driving like I do.
The Whipple bypass valve is an issue that I messed with for a while before seeing the light, and especially true if you’re running a cam. Relying on vacuum signal for boost control is simply inferior to an electronic one that sees what you’re actually requesting for power (Smoothboost uses pedal position sensor signal). Plus the actuator gives you more positive boost control vs relying on a spring. It’s essentially carb vs EFI in terms of technology.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:54 AM   #33
teesee150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
The Whipple bypass valve is an issue that I messed with for a while before seeing the light, and especially true if you’re running a cam. Relying on vacuum signal for boost control is simply inferior to an electronic one that sees what you’re actually requesting for power (Smoothboost uses pedal position sensor signal). Plus the actuator gives you more positive boost control vs relying on a spring. It’s essentially carb vs EFI in terms of technology.
Did you have to retune the car after installing the smoothboost? I'm not looking to run anymore boost or limit boost for that matter as I'm already out of fuel on e85. I would just want it to eliminate the issues with the bypass slamming shut.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:49 AM   #34
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Did you have to retune the car after installing the smoothboost? I'm not looking to run anymore boost or limit boost for that matter as I'm already out of fuel on e85. I would just want it to eliminate the issues with the bypass slamming shut.
I only retuned because I had swapped pulleys for more boost at the same time as the Smoothboost install back when I had my 2.9 Whipple. But I suspect your existing tune would be fine as is as you’re not making any major airflow changes.
Old 06-08-2023, 04:17 PM   #35
shinysun

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Go with Smoothboost. Highly recommand for cam cars or high boosted PD blower cars. Simply all issues just gone.
shinysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 10:43 PM   #36
teesee150

I just wanted to come back and post my results with the inline restrictor.

I bought some restrictors from here in various sizes: https://www.ocpneumatics.com/orifice...strictor-kits/

I got the 1/8 barbed restrictors and used 1/4 - 1/8 vacuum line adapters to splice them inline to the boost bypass.

Running the .020 restrictor 100% solved every drivability issue I had with the Whipple. I am beyond ecstatic with how the car drives now.

I used to have to drive really slow and wait for the boost to kick in or give it a decent amount of throttle and break the tire loose. Anything in between would cause the car to studder/hesitate when the bypass valve closed. My AFR would go to 1.2-1.3 and the car would stumble until I let off the gas and got back on it. Made it incredibly frustrating to drive.

All of that nonsense is gone now. I took it for a drive and was intentionally trying to get it to stumble and was never able to replicate the problem with the restrictor in place. Now I can just roll into the throttle and the car just goes like mad. I was seriously considering selling the car or take the whipple off because it was so frustrating to drive.

Really glad I tried these before I dumped $1000 into the smoothboost.
Old 06-22-2023, 06:25 AM   #37
Schlok

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #397 2022 ZL1 #1799
Wow, what a fix, very nice work!
Schlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 07:57 AM   #38
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
Quote:
Really glad I tried these before I dumped $1000 into the smoothboost.

Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote