Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
Mr2Hard2See
Instagram: Mr2Hard2See

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS
Steering wheel “AIR BAG” identification help

Well guys I’m in a small situation and looking for your help to sort things out. First off, I’ve always liked the 12-15 steering wheels more and sought after to buy 1 or shall I say have 1 built. Bling

Name:  872A9EAD-9B07-482F-80CA-5260070A5537.jpeg
Views: 1074
Size:  121.0 KB

Now when it comes airbags, I’ve heard you could basically use an 12-15 bag. Hell I even heard about buying the cheaper Chevy Cruze airbag. I definitely tried to buy a camaro airbag but I guess I got it wrong.

I started noticing a stamp #15 circled and thinking that’s the year of the steering wheel I have. It’s located on left side of the backplate near that square shaped hole underneath center bolt. Please correct me if I’m wrong about this. My assumption tells my I have a 15 wheel.

Name:  BCF1EACC-DBFE-4F99-A6E9-23F5829494A4.jpeg
Views: 558
Size:  120.9 KB

Name:  7BA5B994-3209-4308-96F6-C1BA6F4F041E.jpeg
Views: 526
Size:  50.8 KB

The “ab” below add said it fits 12/13 coupe 12-15 convertible camaro’s.
“ab” sku # 95214734 say 11-13 Chevy Cruze

Name:  64E8CF23-024F-445D-A67A-9F9F57620E25.jpeg
Views: 618
Size:  116.4 KB

Name:  F50E1E13-4C81-4220-9631-A2A759B395C1.jpeg
Views: 609
Size:  107.6 KB

So if I can get conformation I have a 15 wheel and need to find a 15 “ab” to avoid mounting issues once again?

I don’t have the vin of car wheel came from so if I can get the correct part number from Camaro5, I’m in business and this mod is complete.
Che bronze trunnion Ls3 timing/valley cover
Dod/vvt delete Dsx e85 Dsx aux fuel pump Id1050x injectors ZL1 fuel pump, Griptech 2.55 pulley, Solo performance Mach ll 2.5 catback exhaust 1 7/8th Lt headers
Mr2Hard2See is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:08 PM   #2
Mr2Hard2See

Well I got it to fit the 3 bolts on the wheel in pic #2 I tightened a bit. That worked but now my horn isn’t working. I know all the pigtails are engaged. Anyhow I’ll sort this out tomorrow but if someone has any ideas let me know.
Dod/vvt delete Dsx e85 Dsx aux fuel pump Id1050x injectors ZL1 fuel pump, Griptech 2.55 pulley, Solo performance Mach ll 2.5 catback exhaust 1 7/8th Lt headers
Old 01-04-2020, 11:09 PM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
When I did my swap I intentionally avoided any listings mentioning the Cruze as I was afraid of this exact issue. Not that I had heard anything about not using Cruze parts, but it made me nervous as I was getting conflicting information between the different listings. Luckily, I got to see the picture of the Camaro my airbag came out of.

Also, be very careful with the clock spring alignment. When I installed mine I was getting stabilitrak and airbag errors for the first few hours until I properly aligned the clock spring. I didn't know until I had the entire thing reassembled of course.

I'm sorry, I wish I could help you with this. I don't know anything about that stamping or the specific part numbers. All I know is my wheel and airbag came from a 2014 ZL1 and the airbag went on very easily. It has been a few years since I did mine, so my memory is a bit foggy of the install.

That is an awesome looking wheel btw.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:24 PM   #4
Sinister10

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
good looking wheel. May i ask where you got it from?
2010 2SS/RS 6M, MGW flatstick, CAI cold air intake, SLP loudmouth 2 axleback, TSP 1 7/8 headers w/ hfc, pfadt 1" springs, SRP pedals, emblempros "6.2L" emblems on hood, ZL1 grill, M/T SC-5 wheels, nitto motivo 275f 315r. ZL1 addons wickerbill, smoked lenses, resonator delete x pipe, diode dynamics DRLs 1LE suede steering wheel, mighty mouse CC. SCTX4 and Dyno Steve tune.
Sinister10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 08:36 PM   #5
Mr2Hard2See

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
When I did my swap I intentionally avoided any listings mentioning the Cruze as I was afraid of this exact issue. Not that I had heard anything about not using Cruze parts, but it made me nervous as I was getting conflicting information between the different listings. Luckily, I got to see the picture of the Camaro my airbag came out of.

Also, be very careful with the clock spring alignment. When I installed mine I was getting stabilitrak and airbag errors for the first few hours until I properly aligned the clock spring. I didn't know until I had the entire thing reassembled of course.

I'm sorry, I wish I could help you with this. I don't know anything about that stamping or the specific part numbers. All I know is my wheel and airbag came from a 2014 ZL1 and the airbag went on very easily. It has been a few years since I did mine, so my memory is a bit foggy of the install.

That is an awesome looking wheel btw.
Thanks for the compliment about the wheel. Not sure why my pics loaded sideways. Anyhow I took my time with the clock spring alignment that went as expected (no airbag/stability lights) but this mod did cause me some troubles. I did LT headers faster than completing this I’m on day 2 now.

Well the airbag, I finally got it fully seated and super pumped about it. I heard how easy the install should be but every car is somewhat different so through trail and Error I learned.

This YouTube vid I came across this person installed what looked like a brand new “ab” and he had to use force with both hands to mount properly.

In my case this “ab” did fit I just had to snap the right side in first followed day the left side for it to seat properly. I also got my horn working again by loosening the 3 bolts in pic 2.

So after getting it all done I fired up my car then the damn stability light turned on. At this point I’m getting so good at this I can do all the work much faster now that I’ve learned the process. I’m still kinda questioning this airbag and I found an auto dismantled with a 2014 camaro that I believe will let me do a test fit. Once I get to try a true camaro oem “ab” and if stability light goes off I’ll purchase it. If they stay on then I guess I’ll keep the “ab” but take it apart and redo the clock Spring. I think my traction control is off. I got on it from a stop sign and had some slight wheel spin but normally it just hooks and launches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister10 View Post
good looking wheel. May i ask where you got it from?
I got it from a place called Socal garage but use them with caution. It took nearly 6 months by the time I received my cf bezel. Took about 4 months to complete the wheel but I was told 4-8 weeks tops. I had a lot of issues and felt like I was getting robbed. With that being said my diligence paid off and I received everything better late than never. He also took care of me on payment so I don’t want to totally bash him because the wheel is beautiful. He did have troubles with this thinner bezel compared to the zl1 style wheel with a bigger bezel.

At first I wanted to zl1 wheel a little more but happy I stuck with the SS wheel since my car is an SS and not ZL1 I don’t want my car looking like a total clone.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2020, 08:40 PM   #6
Mr2Hard2See

I have a rear bumper to paint soon so I think the stripe at top of wheel since that color is off and the SS piece on the lower part of the wheel having that painted iom. What do you guys think about the paint idea or should I just leave it as is?
Old 01-05-2020, 09:03 PM   #7
Mr2Hard2See

So my car has been sitting for an hour after I did the drive and replied to the thread. So i wanted to make sure the car was locked properly before the night was over and the stability track light went away. I sure hope I got lucky and this is my case. Tomorrow will let me know when I take it out for a bit.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:48 PM   #8
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Yea, mine still has the ZL1 badge. Only because I don't want to spend $140 on a new SS trim piece and also because I like the the ZL1 bezel design more, personally. I am sure I could get an SS badge made and just attach it in place of the SS badge so I can keep the ZL1 bezel, but I haven't looked into it yet.

If you can get that painted the way you want I say go for it. I didn't notice the center stripe isn't a perfect match until you pointed it out. But I know it would bother me if it was mine. God, I can't get over how nice that wheel is man.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:00 AM   #9
Mr2Hard2See

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Yea, mine still has the ZL1 badge. Only because I don't want to spend $140 on a new SS trim piece and also because I like the the ZL1 bezel design more, personally. I am sure I could get an SS badge made and just attach it in place of the SS badge so I can keep the ZL1 bezel, but I haven't looked into it yet.

If you can get that painted the way you want I say go for it. I didn't notice the center stripe isn't a perfect match until you pointed it out. But I know it would bother me if it was mine. God, I can't get over how nice that wheel is man.
Hey it’s no worries about your wheel badging broski. I’m with you overall I like the bigger bezel the zl1 has with that mesh in the hole for the wheel design. I also most likely wouldn’t pay $140 neither.

Just for me it worked out and I’ve had a full clone car before my 84 gbody Monte that I turned into a SS. I sold that ride then bought a real 86 SS in which I still own today.

My 5th gen has a few zl1 additions and if I had the front bumper most ppl would probably think mine is a zl1. I personally wouldn’t care what folks think but as I sat thinking I made a mistake on my original steering wheel selection. Overall it turned out great and I’m just happy about it and what I have.

The wheel is truly badass it feels great in my hands and looks even better in person. 1 of my best mods.

I have some parts for sale now my 2010-11 wheel with airbag great condition $200 shipped

This steering wheel here which was my donor wheel $150 no controls/airbag
Attached Images

Last edited by Mr2Hard2See; 01-06-2020 at 03:50 PM.