Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-22-2020, 02:40 AM   #1
swisstyphoon
Former GM Technician

Drives: 2018 ZL1 A10, 06 Silverado Duramax
Angry Scratch in cylinder wall

Need your advice, what to do now...

Last year, when I received my car here in Switzerland, I noticed a rough idle, random miss firing when cold, and the car also showed bad fuel trims. Turned out the shop, that did the pulley, tune and plugs, gapped the spark plugs way to close.
While I was changing the plugs, I looked inside the cylinders with my endoscope. I noticed a big ol scratch on cylinder wall nb. 2
I did a leak down test, result was good.
The car run fine after I changed, and gapped the plugs correctly.
Been driving 5000mls since then, the car doesn't burn oil, or anyting.

Now I'm in the process of doing heads, cam, Magi 2650 etc. over winter, so I pulled the heads yesterday. I had a closer look at the scratch on the cylinder wall. It is not deep, you won't hook with your finger nail. But you can still feel the scratch. Not sure what caused it, maybe a burr or something from the factory... ?
The car would probably run many miles more without a problem leaving the scratch. But still not comfortable leaving it like that at this point. I already have everything apart, and hopefully it can be fixed by just honing.
I would have to find a machine shop over here, that is trustworthy to work on a LT4, and probably buy a torque plate on my own. Or I have to send the block to the US to have it fixed there..

What dou you guys think caused the scratch?
What would you do next in my position?
Attached Images

Rotofab Big Gulp, Nick Williams 103, Magnuson 2650, 9.17" (14%) lower, 90mm upper, Vengeance Racing Heads (LME) Cam Package (Cammotion Stage 1), Johnson Lifters, JMS Voltage Booster, Lingenfelter high flow check valve, BBK shorty headers, Custom 2.75" down pipes, Gesi Gen2 high flow cats, MM catch can 791whp, 772ft-lbs SAE
Just added 30% XDI Injectors, LPE big bore hpfp, Flex fuel.
Elite tuning, results coming soon.

2006 Silverado Duramax Diesel
MPI Compound Turbo
40% over Injectors
Efi Live DSP5 Tuning

Follow me on Instagram: Swisstyphoon1980

Last edited by swisstyphoon; 11-22-2020 at 02:51 AM.
swisstyphoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:09 AM   #2
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
If it were me, I’d yank that slug just to check the rings & give it a good cleaning. It may not be bad now, but there may be an issue & it could get progressively worse.

You don’t need a torque plate for a quick hone job like that.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:45 AM   #3
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
in my opinion, I have seen quite a few scratches like that which don't affect anything except esthetics. If the leak down/compression is testing OK in the cylinder, then everything is OK. If oil consumption is OK and no problems with oil control rings, then proceed as usual IMHO.

Obviously, we all strive for perfection but in this case I don't feel this scratch is detrimental in any way if testing has determined standard parameters to be within normal limits. I see a lot of work ahead for zero gain except to contain worry. That scratch is likely from the edge of one of the compression rings (they can be really sharp) in the fresh bore upon installation and initial start-up.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:49 AM   #4
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
in my opinion, I have seen quite a few scratches like that which don't affect anything except esthetics. If the leak down/compression is testing OK in the cylinder, then everything is OK. If oil consumption is OK and no problems with oil control rings, then proceed as usual IMHO.

Obviously, we all strive for perfection but in this case I don't feel this scratch is detrimental in any way if testing has determined standard parameters to be within normal limits. I see a lot of work ahead for zero gain except to contain worry. That scratch is likely from the edge of one of the compression rings (they can be really sharp) in the fresh bore upon installation and initial start-up.
That’s one scenario.

The other is a tad tight ring gap or an issue with the oil control ring.

Looking at the point the scratch ends & the wear point of the top ring on the cylinder it puts it at right about where the oil rings would be. If you pulled the piston it would be more evident the scenario if the scratch continued past the lowest point of either top rings.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #5
Yves ZL1

Drives: Canadian 2019 BLACK ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstyphoon View Post
Need your advice, what to do now...

Last year, when I received my car here in Switzerland, I noticed a rough idle, random miss firing when cold, and the car also showed bad fuel trims. Turned out the shop, that did the pulley, tune and plugs, gapped the spark plugs way to close.
While I was changing the plugs, I looked inside the cylinders with my endoscope. I noticed a big ol scratch on cylinder wall nb. 2
I did a leak down test, result was good.
The car run fine after I changed, and gapped the plugs correctly.
Been driving 5000mls since then, the car doesn't burn oil, or anyting.

Now I'm in the process of doing heads, cam, Magi 2650 etc. over winter, so I pulled the heads yesterday. I had a closer look at the scratch on the cylinder wall. It is not deep, you won't hook with your finger nail. But you can still feel the scratch. Not sure what caused it, maybe a burr or something from the factory... ?
The car would probably run many miles more without a problem leaving the scratch. But still not comfortable leaving it like that at this point. I already have everything apart, and hopefully it can be fixed by just honing.
I would have to find a machine shop over here, that is trustworthy to work on a LT4, and probably buy a torque plate on my own. Or I have to send the block to the US to have it fixed there..

What dou you guys think caused the scratch?
What would you do next in my position?
Hello geographic european neighbour 🙂🙂

If I understand well you are going to unsettle all thé engine ??🤔
Do you make it by yourself ?
Yves ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #6
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Good luck.....
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:52 PM   #7
swisstyphoon
Former GM Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
That’s one scenario.

The other is a tad tight ring gap or an issue with the oil control ring.

Looking at the point the scratch ends & the wear point of the top ring on the cylinder it puts it at right about where the oil rings would be. If you pulled the piston it would be more evident the scenario if the scratch continued past the lowest point of either top rings.
Thanks for the input guys.
I think I will remove that piston and have a closer look, since I'm pulling the block anyways to upgrade to the new Katech oil pump.
Like Stephen said, probably nothing to worry, but then my ocd is kicking in.. lol
Rotofab Big Gulp, Nick Williams 103, Magnuson 2650, 9.17" (14%) lower, 90mm upper, Vengeance Racing Heads (LME) Cam Package (Cammotion Stage 1), Johnson Lifters, JMS Voltage Booster, Lingenfelter high flow check valve, BBK shorty headers, Custom 2.75" down pipes, Gesi Gen2 high flow cats, MM catch can 791whp, 772ft-lbs SAE

MPI Compound Turbo
40% over Injectors
Efi Live DSP5 Tuning

Old 11-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #8
swisstyphoon
Former GM Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yves ZL1 View Post
Hello geographic european neighbour 🙂🙂

If I understand well you are going to unsettle all thé engine ??🤔
Do you make it by yourself ?
Hello French neighbor
Yes I take the engine apart myself, I'm a mechanic.

MPI Compound Turbo
40% over Injectors
Efi Live DSP5 Tuning

Old 11-23-2020, 08:11 AM   #9
Yves ZL1

Drives: Canadian 2019 BLACK ZL1
Quote:
Hello French neighbor
Yes I take the engine apart myself, I'm a mechanic.
Ohhh give me your adress... I’ll come and see you this summer....🙂🙂🙂
I often have hollyday in Switzerland.... or near annecy like this previous summer.

You could do the maintenance of mine 🙂🙂🙂🙂
Yves ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #10
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys.
I think I will remove that piston and have a closer look, since I'm pulling the block anyways to upgrade to the new Katech oil pump.
Like Stephen said, probably nothing to worry, but then my ocd is kicking in.. lol
If you’re yanking the motor & pulling the pan it’s a no-brainer. Besides, the piston would need to be out for a good hone.

I’d even consider getting fresh cross hatching on all 8 along with new rings. Then you can check the rod bearings also.
Old 11-23-2020, 09:45 AM   #11
swisstyphoon
Former GM Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
If you’re yanking the motor & pulling the pan it’s a no-brainer. Besides, the piston would need to be out for a good hone.

I’d even consider getting fresh cross hatching on all 8 along with new rings. Then you can check the rod bearings also.
Yeah of course no honing with the piston in it...
Freshen up all 8 while I'm in there was crossing my mind also.

MPI Compound Turbo
40% over Injectors
Efi Live DSP5 Tuning

Old 11-24-2020, 09:34 AM   #12
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Quote:
Yeah of course no honing with the piston in it...
Freshen up all 8 while I'm in there was crossing my mind also.
You’d think, but you’d be surprised what I’ve heard people admit to doing.