Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-21-2021, 01:19 AM   #1
Driv200

Drives: 2022 C8 Z51
ZL1 1LE TRACK DISCUSSIONS ONLY

I think it’s a miss not having a sub forum for the ultimate track car. So, thought I would start a thread where track focused guys (NASA, Grid Life, SCCA, WRL, Optima, HST, Time Attack, Track Groups) can find track content related to ZL1 1LE’s.
==If you don’t track or if you drive your ZLE daily, this may not be the thread for you. Welcome all of course, but please be track experienced to comment==

Anyone have experience with these questions!

Best square tire size set up when using Pirelli take off slicks. What’s the widest front size you can fit? If stock, then how does that work as smaller width in rear and car handling? Best to go with stock sizes and not square?

E85 gains? Need additional fuel system upgrades? Did you change injectors? Noticeably better cooling? Better performance? What psi on what pulley?

Any overheating on 20min summer sessions? Engine, trans, SC?

Any brake fade? Best track pads for stock ZLE calipers?

Favorite track tire thus far? R7, OEM, Pirelli slicks, etc...

Best rear harness/roll bar? What race seats work best?

What size memory stick for PDR?

Brake fluid using for track?

Oil & trans fluid for track?

What spare parts do you take to every event?
2022 Corvette C8 Z51 with mods
2024 = Always come back to ZLE. Actively Looking.
Driv200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:04 AM   #2
Blast2hell

Drives: 2020 ZLE Rally Green A10
Actually you can find most of the answers and details over in the Road and Track forum. I find the forum is pretty track centric, and while not dedicated to ZL1 1LE, they are a big part of the people that chat on that forum.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=258
Sebring Best Lap Time 2:29 Video
Roebling Road Best Lap Time 1:25 Video
Blast2hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 08:11 AM   #3
Blast2hell

To also answer some of your questions

Favorite track tire thus far? I had a ZL1 I tracked and now a ZLE and the stock goodyear supercar 3R are pretty great. I won't go to a slick until I feel these hold me back.

Best rear harness/roll bar? What race seats work best? I have the Garage Therapy 4pt bolt in rear seat roll bar, and schroth quick fit 4 pt with stock seats.

What size memory stick for PDR? Max i think is 32gb but i find an 8gb is still plenty of space for a couple weekends.

Brake fluid using for track? These things are heavy, I used to run Motul 600 but cooked that a few times and lost brakes at really bad spots at Sebring, I only run Castrol SRF, not worth saving money on brake fluid in my opinion.

Oil & trans fluid for track? Factory recommended, never heard of anyone deviating.

What spare parts do you take to every event? My street tires are on a second set, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, and are the tires I use for wet track days as the Goodyear SC3R aren't what you want unless it's dry. Extra front brake pads, extra oil/brake fluid. and I think thats it.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:21 AM   #4
Driv200

Blast2hell,

Thank you. Will check out the road and track forum. Appreciate the answers to my questions. Very helpful! Saved me a few track days figuring it all out. Definitely going to use the better brake fluid. Will check our the bolt in harness and belts. Any pics? Where did you get second set of rims. What did you get? I assume you are running oem staggered set up?
Old 04-21-2021, 09:32 AM   #5
Blast2hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driv200 View Post
Blast2hell,

Thank you. Will check out the road and track forum. Appreciate the answers to my questions. Very helpful! Saved me a few track days figuring it all out. Definitely going to use the better brake fluid. Will check our the bolt in harness and belts. Any pics? Where did you get second set of rims. What did you get? I assume you are running oem staggered set up?
Garage Therapy that makes the harness is on Facebook, here is some pictures of one ZLE they did.
Garage Therapy ZLE

For wheels, my street/rain set is from BCForged, BC Forged OEM staggered setup

This is a picture of my wheels from BCForged

This is my roll bar, back seat is deleted
Old 04-21-2021, 10:20 AM   #6
Driv200

Wow! That all looks great! Love the roll bar/harness set up! Remember what it cost? Same
For wheels?
Old 04-21-2021, 11:18 AM   #7
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
Please see some comments inline...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast2hell View Post
To also answer some of your questions

Favorite track tire thus far? I had a ZL1 I tracked and now a ZLE and the stock goodyear supercar 3R are pretty great. I won't go to a slick until I feel these hold me back.
>> SC3R are great, but they are expensive and dont last long. A good set of Pirelli take-off slicks can be equal or better, and they cost less than half a new set of SC3R. To use these you have to invest in a set of 18" track wheels, but these help too, mine are so much lighter than the OEM ZLE 19s. Before 1st use, and after 1-2 days use, I treat my Pirelli take-offs with Hot Lap Victory Lane and this extends life and renews performance.

Quote:
Best rear harness/roll bar? What race seats work best? I have the Garage Therapy 4pt bolt in rear seat roll bar, and schroth quick fit 4 pt with stock seats.

What size memory stick for PDR? Max i think is 32gb but i find an 8gb is still plenty of space for a couple weekends.

Brake fluid using for track? These things are heavy, I used to run Motul 600 but cooked that a few times and lost brakes at really bad spots at Sebring, I only run Castrol SRF, not worth saving money on brake fluid in my opinion.
>> Motul 660 also cooks in my experience. I use Brembo Racing HTC 64, which has been flawless, SRF is the same I think.

Quote:
Oil & trans fluid for track? Factory recommended, never heard of anyone deviating.
>>I always use M1 15w50, and Tremec MT fluid (one change in 12k miles).

Quote:
What spare parts do you take to every event? My street tires are on a second set, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, and are the tires I use for wet track days as the Goodyear SC3R aren't what you want unless it's dry. Extra front brake pads, extra oil/brake fluid. and I think thats it.
>>Duct tape and zip ties, lots of it. Splitters and dive planes can get damaged, and my issue has been front fender liner damage using Pirellis in 315/680/18 up front and forgetting not to turn the wheel too far off the track--on track I never make steering inputs like that.

Last edited by SFV1LE; 04-21-2021 at 01:04 PM.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:23 AM   #8
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Garage Therapy that makes the harness is on Facebook, here is some pictures of one ZLE they did.
Garage Therapy ZLE

For wheels, my street/rain set is from BCForged, BC Forged OEM staggered setup

This is a picture of my wheels from BCForged

This is my roll bar, back seat is deleted

i have a used white one on the way right now going sparco seat and 6 point harness tho since im only a 1ss
Old 04-21-2021, 12:15 PM   #9
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Just got back from a track day this last weekend.

Everything was on point. I use Castrol SRF for the brake fluid. No overheating issues. All top notch. Agreed with the notes from Blast2Hell above.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2021, 01:54 PM   #10
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Most answers you seek have been discussed at length in the track section. Lots of info on this forum from guys who have been tracking the ZLE since day one.
Old 04-21-2021, 01:57 PM   #11
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
"Any brake fade? Best track pads for stock ZLE calipers?"

OEM pads are excellent, and very affordable. But for only $1000 a set f/r... Ferodo DS 1.11 are amazing. They are way too expensive, I know there are cheaper alternatives from Hawk, Carbotech etc that are great.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:19 PM   #12
FrostZ

Drives: 2019 A10 ZL1
The ZL1 cooling system is pretty well set from the factory to keep the car fairly cool even under heavy track use. The SS brake deflectors are a great upgrade to get some extra air to the brakes. The only real thing to watch out for is oil temps, on a stock car they can already be a bit warm at 250-275. This is fine for our cars but not particularly ideal as two issues can arise. The first is the "oil cooler" on the car is a liquid to liquid cooler using the engine coolant tied to the lower radiator hose to cool the oil. In reality it uses the coolant which gets to operating temp much quicker to warm the oil, it does little to cool it after that. If the oil temps get out of hand it will drag the coolant temps up too as they are tied together. The second issue is for a modified car, if any extra power is added especially with the OEM 1.7L blower the oil temps can get quickly out of hand. This will cause the aforementioned coolant temps to rise quickly as well. A solution to this has been detailed here on the ZL1 thread using a C&R oil cooler replacing the aux supercharger hx. By maintaining the oil temps we also save the coolant as the dual radiator setup on the car is extremely robust. I have personally undertaken this project and seen massive improvements in temperatures across the board on an OEM car with power mods on the way. While this is definitely not needed for most, especially the occasional track driver with a focus on enjoying the streets, its highly beneficial to those dedicated track rats out there like a lot of ZLE owners.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:54 PM   #13
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
get some sort of screen or mesh behind the lower grill as many have had puncture incidents. ZL1 add ons has a nice precut piece but you must remove the front facia to install it (not a big deal). https://zl1addons.com/products/camar...d968c76b&_ss=r
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 07:10 AM   #14
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Previously used Castrol SRF, but went to Brembo HTC64T. No experience with brake fade from either.

Got on board with the recent Group Buy from APEX wheels. Went with a staggered setup, 18x11/18x12s. Looking forward to using slicks, at half the cost.

Had no issues with overheating, but car is not modified.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
track talk