Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 04-12-2021, 09:57 PM   #1
ThePeoplesCamaro
Patriot

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Steering wheel paddle as momentary switch

Sooooo I’m installing a 2 step. But I really like clean installs. No drilling etc. is it possible to wire ONLY ONE of my two paddles (currently both doing the same job of rev match as I’m a M6) and use it to function as a momentary switch. If the portion of the paddle that’s removable it’s own switch or does it make contact with a circuit board of sorts.
ThePeoplesCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 06:53 AM   #2
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePeoplesCamaro View Post
Sooooo I’m installing a 2 step. But I really like clean installs. No drilling etc. is it possible to wire ONLY ONE of my two paddles (currently both doing the same job of rev match as I’m a M6) and use it to function as a momentary switch. If the portion of the paddle that’s removable it’s own switch or does it make contact with a circuit board of sorts.
I like this idea considering the paddles are a bit redundant on the manual transmission. You really only need one of them.

Looks like the paddles are just plastic buttons and the actual electronic actuator is part of the wire harness in the steering wheel:

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/v-2019...wheel-and-trim
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:14 AM   #3
ThePeoplesCamaro
Patriot

So I’m right in thinking that they operate as two independent momentary switches and it should be as simple as disconnecting one of them from the cars wire harness (cap them off) and run my own wires to the two step? I haven’t taken them apart to look seeing as it’s such a pain to take apart the steering wheel lol. I only want to do it once
Old 04-13-2021, 02:58 PM   #4
ThePeoplesCamaro
Patriot

Awesome. Well answered my own question. Disconnected one of the rev match switches. No codes. Other switch still works as advertised. Just a added pain to run two step wires through the steering column to figure out
Old 04-13-2021, 03:26 PM   #5
RobertAvitia
BYND GARAGE

Drives: 17' 1LT Turbo
Love this idea. Can’t wait to see how it turned out
RobertAvitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 03:39 PM   #6
ThePeoplesCamaro
Patriot

Anyone have any idea how to figure out if I can pin this dummy plug and where it comes out inside the steering wheel so I can run wires that way???
Attached Images

Old 04-13-2021, 03:56 PM   #7
ThePeoplesCamaro
Patriot

Looking at it. This will be my hiccup. Lol. I think I’ve reached the point in a DIY where I’m either not able to do it. Or about to learn me some stuff. Hoping for option 2. Someone smart please help teach me
Old 04-13-2021, 04:00 PM   #8
ThePeoplesCamaro
Patriot

So far my only idea is to ditch having a horn. Use those two wires going through the clock spring. But I’m shooting for an added feature. Not ditching one. I don’t have a heated steering wheel. But it looks like that’s still also a different clock spring so the wires don’t exist. Unless I’m mistaken
Old 04-13-2021, 05:57 PM   #9
Trochoidal

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Maybe ask Parish8 for some guidance. He did it with his Megasquirt setup. He might have the golden ticket you need to make it work.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B4A5i_...ature=youtu.be

Post# 146

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...465472&page=11

Originally Posted by arpad_m - “Aww, yet another oil thread with almost the same question in the OP“
Trochoidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 02:34 PM   #10
RobertAvitia
BYND GARAGE

Drives: 17' 1LT Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePeoplesCamaro View Post
Anyone have any idea how to figure out if I can pin this dummy plug and where it comes out inside the steering wheel so I can run wires that way???
So I’m guessing this is the plug coming from under the dash to the steering wheel and if that’s the case then I think you should be able to find what wire goes to the paddle switch from that plug and splice your 2 step wires in disconnecting the original paddle switch harness from the car
RobertAvitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 12:57 AM   #11
ThePeoplesCamaro
Patriot

So update. The paddle switch push button is on a circuit board that only pushes 4 volts. So now I have decided to make the sacrifice for the greater good. I bought a really small 12v momentary switch and I’m going to attempt to take it a part and make my own switch. Should be a fun project. If I get it to work I will make a second on some nice carbon paddles and make a DIY tutorial
Old 04-21-2021, 10:26 AM   #12
ThePeoplesCamaro
Patriot

So update. Turns out the switch inside the paddle caps out at 4 volts. But since I already tore a part my switch. I ordered a tiny 12v momentary switch and I’m going to try and make a version 1 custom switch. Should be able to just remove the circuit board momentary switch in the paddle and replace it with my own if I can find a to mount it where the paddle will still compress it. Assuming I can make something that works.....I’ll be looking to get another switch and make a final pretty version with a write up.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:26 AM   #13
ThePeoplesCamaro
Patriot

Pics of the switch only had to cut a tiny piece of plastic down to get it to clear and bend a tab so it makes contact. I already touched the pins to wires for my horn to ensure it functions as a 12v momentary and it does. All I have to do now is add some wires and I have a 12v momentary paddle switch. Although I believe since the rev match runs through the ecu. I only have two choices. Either buy the clock ring for a heated steering wheel setup so that I can use the extra wire for heated steering wheel to go through the steering column, or commit to not having my horn work on the steering wheel. Honestly with the exception of roll racing I really never use the horn. I rev a loud exhaust at traffic I’m angry at lol. And the horn will still function fine for the alarm and door lock features etc. so I’ll probably opt for that.
Attached Images