Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #15
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
What’s the point of these? Serious question
In my opinion, they do more than simulate pressing the pedal down harder.

In the old mechanical systems, the throttle response was linear - you press the pedal down 30%, you opened the throttle 30%. 50% = 50%, etc.

With electronic throttle control, the response no longer had to be linear and manufacturers seem to make them “laggy” - maybe to encourage better fuel economy? So you press the pedal down 30%, it only opens the throttle 15% (for example). 50% = 35%. Etc. So the throttle controller lets you get back to a more linear feel without the lag and the car “feels” more responsive. It’s not really that it is more responsive but rather you have better control of the response.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:31 PM   #16
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I have said this before here and will say it again - To all the naysayers and people that doubt these things work, or think they are snake oil...try one before you discount it. Just try it, that's all we ask. They absolutely DO NOT work in the way you think they do. You can not just push your pedal faster or harder to accomplish the same thing. They alter how fast the throttle blades open and alter the rate the throttle can change position based on throttle input and setting. It helps to remove, or at least lessen that sluggish feeling that DBW throttles have in response to your input. The car reacts exactly when you ask it to. The most important point I want to make here is that this cannot be emulated to this degree via tune, no matter how skilled your tuner is. It has to be done via hardware.

I can promise you, anyone that doubts these do anything, I set mine to the highest setting and you will not be able to drive my car without either completely losing control, or at the very least, looking like you are trying to drive a manual car for the very first time, bucking all over the place due to how sensitive the throttle can be set. On the highest settings they take some serious getting used to. Anyone that owns one can attest to how crazy the car can behave on high settings, getting into a cycle of constant bucking due to your foot falling off the pedal from the sudden acceleration and then trying to correct it by adding more throttle, which causes it to continue to buck over and over until you totally remove any throttle input.

I took my car to the muffler shop once and I had it in SP7, which is a rather high setting. I forgot to lower it and the shop owner got out of the car and yelled at me because he almost drove it though his shop. Now I make sure to set it very low anytime someone needs to drive my car, which is very rare.

Are throttle controllers needed? Nope. Do they add power in any way, shape, or form? Absolutely not. Are they totally trouble free and work without any issues on everyone's car? Unfortunately, no. But they can totally change the way the throttle input feels and are 100% a drivability mod that makes a huge difference on drive-by-wire cars. Whether you like the difference they make or not, they do as intended.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #17
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenKat View Post
In my opinion, they do more than simulate pressing the pedal down harder.

In the old mechanical systems, the throttle response was linear - you press the pedal down 30%, you opened the throttle 30%. 50% = 50%, etc.

With electronic throttle control, the response no longer had to be linear and manufacturers seem to make them “laggy” - maybe to encourage better fuel economy? So you press the pedal down 30%, it only opens the throttle 15% (for example). 50% = 35%. Etc. So the throttle controller lets you get back to a more linear feel without the lag and the car “feels” more responsive. It’s not really that it is more responsive but rather you have better control of the response.
Beautifully written!
Because of the linearity you described, I bought this controller.

Time will tell whether I am satisfied or not.
But I want to try it and form my own opinion.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:44 PM   #18
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by George-CZ View Post
Beautifully written!
Because of the linearity you described, I bought this controller.

Time will tell whether I am satisfied or not.
But I want to try it and form my own opinion.
That's all you can really do, right? Try it out yourself and see if you like it. I totally understand that they are not for everyone. But the people that bash them without any experience with them drives me insane lol. Personally, I will never take mine off because of the difference it made.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:48 PM   #19
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
We are just making jokes because 1. Many people have had problems with them and tossing codes or tuning problems and 2. They don’t do anything technically since it’s just a throttle position sensor change which you can do the same by pressing down on gas peddle harder.

I know some people like them and that’s fine. If I had one I would stick it on the side of the center shifter console. Think it would be easy to adjust and not be in the way there. That’s where I placed my switch for my floor led lights.
Don't worry, I'm not offended
As already written.
The only thing that bothers me is the non-linear manifestation of the accelerator pedal.
If it makes any mistakes, I'll unplug it.
And when it comes to tuning, according to the manufacturer, the controller must be disconnected. But this is probably not a news that locals would not know.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:50 PM   #20
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
That's all you can really do, right? Try it out yourself and see if you like it. I totally understand that they are not for everyone. But the people that bash them without any experience with them drives me insane lol. Personally, I will never take mine off because of the difference it made.
I completely agree with you
Old 04-11-2021, 01:52 PM   #21
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarendor View Post
I had no problems with mine at all, the only reason I am getting rid of it is because with my turbo I don't need it.

Mine is for sale in the other forum.
https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590099

Here is where I put mine, I put it here because once you set it you don't really need to mess with it much. But you can if you want/need to, and can see it without any trouble but it's not in the way. (Two sided tape held it for over a year with no issues)
This is also a good place.
I'll try it
Old 04-11-2021, 01:52 PM   #22
SSJ2

Drives: 2010 2SS CAMARO
Quote:

I agree. I see it in forums all the time I feel it’s not worth getting into a battle over but I agree that the people bashing them have never tried one. There can be no argument that there is a difference. I also bought mine as a package deal with the ported throttle body with a no questions asked return policy with return shipping paid for. I really couldn’t lose. It’s one of the best things I have done to my car for drivability. Coupled with the throttle body in my LS3 it’s much more enjoyable to drive. If that’s even possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BBK Long tube headers, Hi flo cats, straight pipe muffler delete with j-pipes. K+N CAI, Soler Performance Ported Throttle Body, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Phantom Grill, MGW flatstick shifter. 3.91 Gears, Ported Rod Mod Intake, ZTA Spoiler, Rohana RC22 20x10 20x11.
SSJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:56 PM   #23
George-CZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0stones0 View Post
Hi George.
There’s an area just to the right of the steering wheel (arrow pointing to it in pic) that works well for a TC. Wires tuck away easy and you don’t see it while driving. Usually, you’re going to set it to what you like and won’t touch it after that anyways.
I also planned to use this place.
But I have an ornamental plaque there

Old 04-11-2021, 03:14 PM   #24
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
I opted for the more expensive one.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2021, 03:43 PM   #25
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
stuck mine in the glove box
Is that a Crown Royal bad?? lol.. Nice place to stash it too.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:44 PM   #26
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
I opted for the more expensive one.
lol, nice one!!!
Old 04-11-2021, 03:50 PM   #27
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JEWLDSSRS View Post
Is that a Crown Royal bad?? lol.. Nice place to stash it too.
That's my bag for the Camaro books
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:53 PM   #28
1JEWLDSSRS

Quote:
I have said this before here and will say it again - To all the naysayers and people that doubt these things work, or think they are snake oil...try one before you discount it. Just try it, that's all we ask. They absolutely DO NOT work in the way you think they do. You can not just push your pedal faster or harder to accomplish the same thing. They alter how fast the throttle blades open and alter the rate the throttle can change position based on throttle input and setting. It helps to remove, or at least lessen that sluggish feeling that DBW throttles have in response to your input. The car reacts exactly when you ask it to. The most important point I want to make here is that this cannot be emulated to this degree via tune, no matter how skilled your tuner is. It has to be done via hardware.

I can promise you, anyone that doubts these do anything, I set mine to the highest setting and you will not be able to drive my car without either completely losing control, or at the very least, looking like you are trying to drive a manual car for the very first time, bucking all over the place due to how sensitive the throttle can be set. On the highest settings they take some serious getting used to. Anyone that owns one can attest to how crazy the car can behave on high settings, getting into a cycle of constant bucking due to your foot falling off the pedal from the sudden acceleration and then trying to correct it by adding more throttle, which causes it to continue to buck over and over until you totally remove any throttle input.

I took my car to the muffler shop once and I had it in SP7, which is a rather high setting. I forgot to lower it and the shop owner got out of the car and yelled at me because he almost drove it though his shop. Now I make sure to set it very low anytime someone needs to drive my car, which is very rare.

Are throttle controllers needed? Nope. Do they add power in any way, shape, or form? Absolutely not. Are they totally trouble free and work without any issues on everyone's car? Unfortunately, no. But they can totally change the way the throttle input feels and are 100% a drivability mod that makes a huge difference on drive-by-wire cars. Whether you like the difference they make or not, they do as intended.
I never knew what these things were and never looked into them. I do know that when we first dyno tuned my Camaro after the TL install and CAI, ported TB and my tuner talked to me about the "drive by wire" operation of these throttle bodies where he said the same thing, when you press the pedal for 50% you might get 35% and at 100% you might get 85%, he set up the tune so that when I asked for 50, I got 50, and at 100% I would get 100% and I do know that that happens real quick upon depressing the pedal. Couldn't imagine it getting any quicker response than I have right now!! Take your foot off the brake and just touch the throttle and she's outa here.. I have to be careful with it.