Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics


Phastek Performance


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2020, 01:55 PM   #1
chris227

 
chris227's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sherman,Texas
Posts: 820
Turn rear view mirror cam into front cam.

Sorry if this has been asked already but couldn't find anything in the search.

I'm going to be taking a rear view camera i have laying around from my 2016 Camaro and add it to the front on my SS.

My plan is to make a split in the rearview mirror cam line and create a male/female junction so i can connect which ever camera i feel like using. My question is has anyone does this yet?

I've been away for a year with a mustang, but just missed my camaro to much and had to come back.

In principal it should be pretty simple, i just have to find the easiest location to make my split. If i missed something in my thinking please let me know.

I plan on getting to this in the next month or so and will post Photos when finished. in the meantime any thoughts?

Last edited by chris227; 04-11-2020 at 03:03 PM.
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:16 PM   #2
Fire260
 
Fire260's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro LT1
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: AZ
Posts: 73
I would like to do this as well, I like your idea of splitting the video, i didn't think of that,"Thanks" I do have a video splitter for my FPV quad, So with the splitter, you can just pic what cam you want to look at, only thing is what triggers the rearview camera to come on the screen, is it done by a video signal are a trigger?
__________________
Saying THANKS don’t cost a dime so hand it out freely!
Fire260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 03:44 PM   #3
chris227

 
chris227's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sherman,Texas
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire260 View Post
I would like to do this as well, I like your idea of splitting the video, i didn't think of that,"Thanks" I do have a video splitter for my FPV quad, So with the splitter, you can just pic what cam you want to look at, only thing is what triggers the rearview camera to come on the screen, is it done by a video signal are a trigger?
I would be using the rear view mirror camera, not the backup camera. A switch similar to how your headlight switch would work to switch what you see on the screen if using the standard backup camera. Only problem is you would need to be in reverse to see it. Which is why i'm looking at using my rearview mirror camera. All i have to do there is flip the lever on the camera. I am not real familiar with POC (power over coaxial). Just trying to figure the wiring out now. Shouldn't be that hard once i have the wiring figured out. or i may just disconnect the rear camera cable from the mirror and connect the front camera directly to the mirror. Don't use the rear view mirror camera anyway.
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:23 PM   #4
Oramac2016
 
Oramac2016's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris227 View Post
I would be using the rear view mirror camera, not the backup camera. A switch similar to how your headlight switch would work to switch what you see on the screen if using the standard backup camera. Only problem is you would need to be in reverse to see it. Which is why i'm looking at using my rearview mirror camera. All i have to do there is flip the lever on the camera. I am not real familiar with POC (power over coaxial). Just trying to figure the wiring out now. Shouldn't be that hard once i have the wiring figured out. or i may just disconnect the rear camera cable from the mirror and connect the front camera directly to the mirror. Don't use the rear view mirror camera anyway.
A few things....
The camera connected to your rear view mirror is a “specific” camera. So you cant just connect any camera. So far, the cameras that can be used are either ones pulled from 2019-2020 spoilers, sharkfin antenna cameras on 2020s, or 2019+ Silverado cameras pulled from high mount stop lights. The poc cable uses connectors called “fakra”. I recently found a fakra video switch. I’ve been thinking of doing what you are attempting. I was able to get a camera that was pulled from a 2019 spoiler. Besides that all youd need is more wire to feed the new camera.
__________________
2016 Summit White 1LT RS, Brembo Brakes, NPP Exhaust,Front Glowtie, Rear Red Glowtie, Adrenaline Red Interior
Oramac2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:38 PM   #5
Fire260
 
Fire260's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro LT1
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: AZ
Posts: 73
OK so you have the LCD in your rearview mirror? mine is on my radio monitor. What i was originally going to do and most likely going to do, is I'm taking out the overhead that has my Onstar and pass airbag info, Put in one out of a 2018 that has the home link in it for my garage opener, then for my Onstar, on some older GMs they have a rearview mirror that has Onstar and an LCD in it that is easy to hooh up, I was going to hook my front camera in the rearview mirror and I would still have my backup camera and a front camera for cheap. I know there will be some rewiring and changing the mount on the mirror so it will fit in my car, but I'm cool with that.
__________________
Saying THANKS don’t cost a dime so hand it out freely!
Fire260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:52 PM   #6
chris227

 
chris227's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sherman,Texas
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramac2016 View Post
A few things....
The camera connected to your rear view mirror is a “specific” camera. So you cant just connect any camera. So far, the cameras that can be used are either ones pulled from 2019-2020 spoilers, sharkfin antenna cameras on 2020s, or 2019+ Silverado cameras pulled from high mount stop lights. The poc cable uses connectors called “fakra”. I recently found a fakra video switch. I’ve been thinking of doing what you are attempting. I was able to get a camera that was pulled from a 2019 spoiler. Besides that all youd need is more wire to feed the new camera.
As long as the camera is supplying a data + / Data - line as well as +/- on power the camera shouldn't matter. do you happen to have a decent photo of inside the connector. How many lines it uses? I have a service manual for 16-18 camaro but not a 19-20. so i'm unable to see the wiring schematic. Was only planning on doing this because i had the camera lying around, if i had a 19-20 camera it would be simple. Just plug and play with the correct cable to plug into the mirror and camera.
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 05:54 PM   #7
Fire260
 
Fire260's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro LT1
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: AZ
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramac2016 View Post
A few things....
The camera connected to your rear view mirror is a “specific” camera. So you cant just connect any camera. So far, the cameras that can be used are either ones pulled from 2019-2020 spoilers, sharkfin antenna cameras on 2020s, or 2019+ Silverado cameras pulled from high mount stop lights. The poc cable uses connectors called “fakra”. I recently found a fakra video switch. I’ve been thinking of doing what you are attempting. I was able to get a camera that was pulled from a 2019 spoiler. Besides that all youd need is more wire to feed the new camera.
That's some good info. Thanks
__________________
Saying THANKS don’t cost a dime so hand it out freely!
Fire260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:25 PM   #8
Oramac2016
 
Oramac2016's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris227 View Post
As long as the camera is supplying a data + / Data - line as well as +/- on power the camera shouldn't matter. do you happen to have a decent photo of inside the connector. How many lines it uses? I have a service manual for 16-18 camaro but not a 19-20. so i'm unable to see the wiring schematic. Was only planning on doing this because i had the camera lying around, if i had a 19-20 camera it would be simple. Just plug and play with the correct cable to plug into the mirror and camera.
The camera matters. Its a coax cable with Fakra connectors. Any ol camera won’t work. If you don’t care about your rearview camera, take it out your spoiler and fill the hole. Get a fakra cable maybe 30ft and use that to reroute the camera. You’ll have to get creative in mounting.
__________________
2016 Summit White 1LT RS, Brembo Brakes, NPP Exhaust,Front Glowtie, Rear Red Glowtie, Adrenaline Red Interior
Oramac2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 11:27 PM   #9
Oramac2016
 
Oramac2016's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 383
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=567067
__________________
2016 Summit White 1LT RS, Brembo Brakes, NPP Exhaust,Front Glowtie, Rear Red Glowtie, Adrenaline Red Interior
Oramac2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 03:12 AM   #10
A-A-RON
 
A-A-RON's Avatar
 
Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 169
My modification.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572193
A-A-RON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:47 PM   #11
chris227

 
chris227's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sherman,Texas
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-A-RON View Post
Very nice work. I've been checking out your thread. Just have to get the camera now, since mine will not work. Your thread has helped alot. Gonna tackle this in a month or so when I get the time. Thanks for posting all your work.
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:13 PM   #12
chris227

 
chris227's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sherman,Texas
Posts: 820
Small update...

I received the camera i was going to try from a 2019 Colorado, Unfortunately it didn't work.
All i got was flickering white screen. It was worth a try for the price, i returned the camera and will be ordering the spoiler with camera.
I did make a small RCA switch with parts i have lying around. I modified 3 Fakra Z cables to RCA and confirmed it works as a switch between cameras. I used a friends Camaro to test the switch by parking back to back and connecting both cameras to the switch. This should all be done by next week when i get my spoiler.
Attached Images
 
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:48 PM   #13
Oramac2016
 
Oramac2016's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Camaro RS
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris227 View Post
Small update...

I received the camera i was going to try from a 2019 Colorado, Unfortunately it didn't work.
All i got was flickering white screen. It was worth a try for the price, i returned the camera and will be ordering the spoiler with camera.
I did make a small RCA switch with parts i have lying around. I modified 3 Fakra Z cables to RCA and confirmed it works as a switch between cameras. I used a friends Camaro to test the switch by parking back to back and connecting both cameras to the switch. This should all be done by next week when i get my spoiler.

What are you connecting the rca to? Or are you just converting to rca so you can use an rca switch?
__________________
2016 Summit White 1LT RS, Brembo Brakes, NPP Exhaust,Front Glowtie, Rear Red Glowtie, Adrenaline Red Interior
Oramac2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:20 PM   #14
chris227

 
chris227's Avatar
 
Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sherman,Texas
Posts: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramac2016 View Post
What are you connecting the rca to? Or are you just converting to rca so you can use an rca switch?
Converting the ends for the sole purpose to use a rca A/B switch. I spent $20 for the Fakra z cables and had the rca cables lying around. Made a simple small rca switch for nothing. Will mount under dash to be able to switch between cameras. After reading my previous post I noticed I failed to mention the switch I made.

Last edited by chris227; 08-10-2020 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Info
chris227 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.