Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 01-06-2020, 02:24 PM   #1
sweet99ss

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro
Huron Speed ZL1 Twin Turbo Review

First off I'll start by saying this is my 3rd turbo kit from Huron Speed. The parts I get from Huron Speed are always of high quality and Jon's customer service is second to NONE. Literally best customer service I have ever received from any company.

This kit is made for the SS camaro, but doesn't take to much more to work on the ZL1. I chose this kit over the single kit because I had a few issues with previous front mount kits and overheating on hot days in traffic due to all the hotside piping and turbo creating so much heat. With this kit temperatures really didn't rise at all! Everything stays cool even at low speeds which is awesome.

If your mechanical skills are not the best I would not recommend you tackle this install by yourself! Find someone with experience to do the install. Spacing is tight on these low mount twin setups and you will need a little experience wrenching and a second set of hands for this install!

I think standard this kit comes with comp oil-less turbo's which I think is an awesome Idea if you have the $ for it. I was on a tight budget so I went with vsracing 6766's and vsracing gates/bov. A lot of TT kits don't give you the variety of turbo's ect that Huron Speed does... This saved me a ton of $, but keep in mind when you use big turbo's with this kit you are going to have to do a little hammering for fitment. I went a little larger then what I needed, but this also keeps my IAT temps lower and the top end with these turbo's is INSANE! I'm sure the Comp turbo's make install on this kit much easier so keep that in mind!

FOR ZL1 OWNERS this kit makes so much sense $/power wise because of the fact you can sell your supercharger stuff to pay for a huge chunk of the turbo kit. I originally planned to do 2.4 pulley, Heat exchanger, and LT headers. This would have ran $2-3000 depending on what brands I went with and still would have left me hundred of HP short of what this turbo setup does. Do keep in mind some minor cutting to some plastic pieces and some other modifying of the car will have to take place. If you are anal about keeping stuff factory looking and not tweaking the car a turbo setup may not be right for you...

I sold my ZL1 blower setup with all accessories for about $3500. So all said and done I have about the same amount in this kit that I would have had in upgrades to the blower...

So obviously you ZL1 owners will have to start this install by doing something that started to make me think I was CRAZY lol. REMOVE the supercharger. I had this car for 5 months and 1 track visit of getting kicked around by turbo cars and the decision was made to go turbo. Again I went twins over single just for reliability stand point. Didn't want to worry about over heating.

After getting the supercharger off you will need to buy and install an LS3 intake manifold, rails, injectors. Keep your LSA throttle body. You can just reuse it with the ls3 mani. For ZL1 cars you will have to flip the fuel rail so the fuel connection is facing the passenger side. I got the intake manifold locally with rails for like $220 and got a good deal on FIC inj from Huron Speed. I would recommend keeping all sensors from your LSA supercharger or get exact sensors before selling it. This will make tuning and getting the car setup for the turbo's much easier later.

An IMPORTANT note. The "alignment dowels" on the plastic manifold going on lsa heads will have to be ground down or the intake manifold will not bolt up to the heads. I originally thought it was the plastic "baffles" on the bottom of the manifold hitting the valley cover and accidentally cracked my first manifold trying to notch it . All that needs to be done is simply grind down the plastic alignment dowels. Hopefully I save someone from making the same mistake.

ZL1 owners will also have to replace the transmission lines and delete the transmission cooler lines that run to the rear end. Stock lines will not fit with this turbo placement. This is not an issue unless you plan to autocross the car. I'm sure you can find a way to keep fluid going to the rear end. For me I just cut the lines coming right off the rearend and put rubber caps on the lines with zip ties...

For transmission lines I started by buying a 6l90e adapter plate to 6an. Adapter plate is ICT Billet part # 551121-6AN. Then bought two 6an to 3/8 90* hose barb fittings and bought like 12ft of transmission hose from local parts store.

You will also have to relocate your transmission cooler as the inter-cooler sits in its place. This actually worked out great with the huron speed kit. I just moved the cooler up top and notched one of the holes in the transmission cooler mounting bracket and it bolted right up to the top of the inter-cooler bracket. You will need Hayden Transmission line adapter fittings part #397 to connect your rubber trans hose to your factory trans cooler.

Now like I said earlier make sure and keep all your sensors. You will put your 3-bar map sensor that came off the back of the blower in the front of your ls3 intake manifold to measure boost pressure ect. The other 2 sensors I plugged in and I believe I just left them to atmosphere. Then you will need to drill and tap a hole in you intercooler piping that connects to the TB and thread in your IAT sensor. 3/8 npt. I got this IAT sensor from ICT Billet also.

Other then that I put in BR7EF spark plugs. For the exhaust I bought 4 v-bands and had a buddy v-band my stock exhaust to the down pipes for easy removal if I ever need to.

My 2012 ZL1
Name:  Turbo twin camaro.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  48.4 KB

Engine bay
Name:  Turbo engine bay.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  104.1 KB

Intercooler pic
Name:  Snapchat-1532792128.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  83.7 KB

V-banded stock exhaust
Name:  Turbo's exhaust.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  476.7 KB

Name:  Turbo lift exhaust.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  485.9 KB
~00 SS~ (Forged LS/IIHS 7875 Turbo/RPM Lvl 6/Strange S60) 10.3-141
~2010 SS~ (SLP TVS2300 Blower/Speed Eng LT's)
~2012 ZL1~ (IIHS Twin Turbo)

Last edited by sweet99ss; 01-07-2020 at 01:33 AM.
sweet99ss is offline   Reply With Quote