Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-22-2019, 11:36 PM   #435
Beefsquatch

Drives: 2010 LS3 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
You have to many mods to predict your boost effectively.

You would have to remove any underdrive pulley and replace it with the factory or like sized aftermarket crank pulley.

Ted.
Thanks Ted!
Old 07-23-2019, 08:02 AM   #436
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
Ted,

I understand. You’re a busy man with many, many people coming to you. I felt guilty to even ask, but too tempted to apply all of your experience and knowledge to my situation. I understand it’s not just philanthropic, in that you hope it may generate sales and I don’t mind scratching your back as well if there is something I’m in the market for that you carry.

I wasn’t sure about Edelbrock. That’s why I asked if it could fit my car. Sometimes there are adapter plates or what have you that could have made it possible. I even read something about an upgrade kit to fit the new blades in an old unit (as they say they preplanned for that when building earlier models). Sometimes I get lost in all the circles of product talk, and I’m no mechanic myself, other than maintenance. So though you knew the answer was no, I didn’t. Thank you for letting me know that.

So as far as other suggestions, such as your Vortech, F1a94 PC, and AGP turbos, I still feel that I’m absent one very important piece of knowledge you have inside of you that hasn’t made it to me yet. That is, amongst the (at least) dozens of blowers that will meet my needs of under hood and 1000-1500rwhp, do you remember any particular units that were more quiet than the bulk of the other options?

I know for most in the hobby, they don’t care so much about sound, and look at my consideration for it as some sort of backwards way of hot rodding. A lot of guys want to get that super aggressive exhaust and make a big noise, even if it doesn’t help performance. I must admit, I love a mean exhaust note, but for me and my functions for the car, it has more drawbacks than benefits. Same is true with blowers. Many want them to be loud jet sounding to “advertise” their big power. I don’t. So it may be the last consideration you want to address, but it’s really the most important thing I’ve been asking you. It is the purpose for the other questions. Please advise if you just happened to notice (a) blower(s) that were quieter than the others (in that power range and fitment).

Thanks Again
Given all of the criteria you have listed, I think Turbos are your best option for such a high target HP, underhood, and quited while driving normally.

The Noise the Bypass valves (required for Superchargers) make under normal driving fall outside what you are asking for

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:03 AM   #437
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxshadowdawgxX View Post
So I️ had a 388ci motor built by a very reputable shop and it was not cheap. Ive done three different forced induction setups. Every setup yielded very high boost numbers around 20-24lbs. But the hp/tq numbers just aren’t there. I’ve put every best part I️ can on the car at this point hoping it would solve the issue. I️’m going to have a leak down and compression test done. But what would cause this, it’s basically been like this since the motor was built. Any opinion or advice is wanted, thanks.
I am sure I can help you but I need more info about your build and results.

All too often I see combinations that put down big numbers on a dyno and are slow as shit at the track, so don't get too wrapped up in the dyno numbers.
Old 07-23-2019, 10:09 AM   #438
XxshadowdawgxX

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
I am sure I can help you but I need more info about your build and results.

All too often I see combinations that put down big numbers on a dyno and are slow as shit at the track, so don't get too wrapped up in the dyno numbers.
It’s slow at the track as well. Not just unimpressive on the dyno. Let me know what information you need and I’ll be more than happy to accommodate. Appreciate the reply.
376CI Built Bottom End LSA (10.1:1) Ported LSA Heads, BTR STG 3 400+ CI Camshaft, F1X Procharger - Cogged, Holley Sniper High Rise Intake, 1 7/8” TSP Headers, 1700CC ID Injectors, Fore Innovations Triple 450lph, DSX Flexfuel Sensor. Making 1000+rwhp. Tuned by Tuning by Shane Hinds LLC.
XxshadowdawgxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:03 PM   #439
Vanishing Point

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS, LSX, 4L80E
Quote:
Given all of the criteria you have listed, I think Turbos are your best option for such a high target HP, underhood, and quited while driving normally.

The Noise the Bypass valves (required for Superchargers) make under normal driving fall outside what you are asking for

Ted.
Thank you Ted

I’m going to continue to look for updates with mrvenicess Harrop 2650 installed on his Gen 5 Camaro as I’m fairly sure that is a quiet supercharger, and I think it will supply in excess of 1000rwhp and fit under hood.

Simultaneously I’m going to research some turbos and make an effort to hear units in person before deciding.

Appreciate the info.
Vanishing Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:13 AM   #440
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxshadowdawgxX View Post
It’s slow at the track as well. Not just unimpressive on the dyno. Let me know what information you need and I’ll be more than happy to accommodate. Appreciate the reply.
Feel free to call me to discuss, 203-753-7223
Old 07-24-2019, 04:25 PM   #441
mrimpala02

Drives: Black 2SS RS w/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
Thank you Ted

I’m going to continue to look for updates with mrvenicess Harrop 2650 installed on his Gen 5 Camaro as I’m fairly sure that is a quiet supercharger, and I think it will supply in excess of 1000rwhp and fit under hood.

Simultaneously I’m going to research some turbos and make an effort to hear units in person before deciding.

Appreciate the info.
I have some decent AGP TT videos with and without mufflers on my 3" exhaust:

With Mufflers:

Muffler Delete:

Pat G Custom Turbo CamMotion Camshaft | AGP TT BB Garrett 62/65's | AGP/Fore Triple Pumps | ID1700X Injectors | Alky Control Twin Nozzle Meth | Custom 3" Exhaust | 3.27 gear set w/ Tru Trac | McLeod Twin RXT | Barton Short Throw Shifter | 6th Gen ZL1 Wheels | BMR 1.4" drop springs | Pfadt rear trailing arms & tie rods |

Installed by Me & Tuned by Pat G
mrimpala02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 08:17 PM   #442
Vanishing Point

[QUOTE=mrimpala02;10580229]I have some decent AGP TT videos with and without mufflers on my 3" exhaust:

Thank You Sir,

Very kind of you to upload those for me. You have a very nice car and I very much like the sound of the exhaust. And your mechanical abilities far exceed mine, with the ability to install that all yourself.

The Bad Side:
1. The videos mostly focus on the exhaust. We have different exhausts and I’m not looking to change mine.

I’m sure you know that having read the thread as well as you have for you to be able to post your related videos. But you loaded them anyway, because it’s what you had recorded and it is very related. It is AGP TT on 5th Gen Camaro. I appreciate that very much. But...what I’m really trying to know is how loud the blowers themselves are, the blowing whine. That’s hard to pick up on most mics very well, even if they were the target of the recording.

The Questions:

1. Is this the size turbo that would fit my needs, e.g., adjustable from a low of 1000 RWHP on up toward 1500rwhp?

I know I want 1000rwhp at a minimum. I may (probably will) find I want more. If so, I can adjust the turbos or most any blower to make higher power (as long as 1000rwhp isn’t it’s max). I know I don’t want more than 1500rwhp. So the question is, is this size of AGP the size that would best cover that range for me?

2. Are you really using the turbos to a high capacity (lbs of pressure)?

I read you have a stock block, and I couldn’t find a power output for your build. As such, if you have a blower that would fit my criteria, you might likely not be using much of it. That could make it quieter for you than it would be for me.

3. How much power are you making?

Just trying to get a feel for how similar of a load you are putting on the blowers and if it’s comparable to the load I would be putting them under.

The Good:

1. If you have AGP TT units in the power range capabilities I’m looking for, using them under the load I’m looking to put them under, making the power I’m looking to make, I could drive down to Katy to hear them in person and of course buy you lunch

Thanks

Last edited by Vanishing Point; 07-24-2019 at 08:29 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:33 PM   #443
mrimpala02

Drives: Black 2SS RS w/White Stripes
Thanks for the compliments.

The Bad Side:

1. The only point of showing the exhaust is to show you that you don't hear much of anything from turbos themselves other than the blow off valve between shifts or throttle release. That is pretty much the same no matter how much boost your pushing or exhaust you have (exception corsa extreme). If you have mufflers it will be very docile. If you remove mufflers you will hear the turbos more clearly through the exhaust.

Not my car, but here a video from inside a AGP car. Again they will all more or less sound the same no matter the size or boost. You can hear them "whistle", but nothing crazy. You can hear the blow off valve between shift.
https://youtu.be/zH4UdNCarL8 (skip to about 7 minutes)

Another good video. This has car doesnt have his wastegates recirculated into the exhaust so you hear when they open up. This car has small turbos pushing pretty hard, but the sound is very similar to mine.
https://youtu.be/u3hezkQudw0he

Questions:

1. Is this the size turbo that would fit my needs, e.g., adjustable from a low of 1000 RWHP on up toward 1500rwhp?

Ted or AGP could help with turbo sizing for your specific application. Mine(62/65's) are spec'ed for a 1100-1200 rear wheel with a 416-427CI engine. I was planning ahead and building the car in phases. On 93 + meth @17 psi I made 815 rwhp. On e85 + meth I made 906 rwhp all recorded on the same mustang dyno, but at different times.

I know I want 1000rwhp at a minimum. I may (probably will) find I want more. If so, I can adjust the turbos or most any blower to make higher power (as long as 1000rwhp isn’t it’s max). I know I don’t want more than 1500rwhp. So the question is, is this size of AGP the size that would best cover that range for me?

If you want true easy adjustability a turbo setup with a boost controller is your best option. Again AGP offers few turbo sizes larger than mine that will achieve your goal, but you will have request the larger plenum that they dont really advertise since there base kit covers most applications.

2. Are you really using the turbos to a high capacity (lbs of pressure)?

I read you have a stock block, and I couldn’t find a power output for your build. As such, if you have a blower that would fit my criteria, you might likely not be using much of it. That could make it quieter for you than it would be for me.

As mentioned earlier I have pushed between 14-17 psi. There is much noticeable sound difference.

3. How much power are you making?

Just trying to get a feel for how similar of a load you are putting on the blowers and if it’s comparable to the load I would be putting them under.

Mentioned above.

The Good:

1. If you have AGP TT units in the power range capabilities I’m looking for, using them under the load I’m looking to put them under, making the power I’m looking to make, I could drive down to Katy to hear them in person and of course buy you lunch

Always looking for an excuse to drive the car so we could work something out if you are interested. There is a guy on here that has a car with 427 LSX AGP TT in your area built to +1300 rwhp (Scuzz) I think is his screenname.
Pat G Custom Turbo CamMotion Camshaft | AGP TT BB Garrett 62/65's | AGP/Fore Triple Pumps | ID1700X Injectors | Alky Control Twin Nozzle Meth | Custom 3" Exhaust | 3.27 gear set w/ Tru Trac | McLeod Twin RXT | Barton Short Throw Shifter | 6th Gen ZL1 Wheels | BMR 1.4" drop springs | Pfadt rear trailing arms & tie rods |

Installed by Me & Tuned by Pat G

Last edited by mrimpala02; 07-25-2019 at 09:16 AM.
mrimpala02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:07 PM   #444
Vanishing Point

mrimpala02,
Thank you so much for your helpful info and offer. My car is my hobby. What may seem unreasonable for others to do for little reward (like driving hours to hear a blower) to me is well worth it. You have to enjoy the journey as much as the destination. Besides, I’m new to Texas so it wouldn’t hurt to meet a couple of guys with similar interests. My actual only friend in this state lives down your way. So I will likely reach out to both you and skuzz.

However, things just got real for me. I work on the road, all across the nation, for months at a time. When I’m not working I’m not working. When I am it’s on like Donkey Kong. So i can go from posting frequently to no time for it at all. Besides, right now I’ve had the car at a tuner trying to fix some codes so I can get it registered here. We didn’t have to worry about that in Michigan as there’s no certification process there. But anyway, I hope the offer is still good to reconnect when I get back. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:42 PM   #445
1LEANSS

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEANSS View Post
Ted,

Can I use the injectors that come with SC kit or will I need to get different ones? I believe the complete kit comes with a SCT tuner, if so I will be all set in that regard for the tune. The last piece of the puzzle will be the CAI, but if I have to sell mine and buy the Rotofab one not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I will call you when the time comes.

Thank you for your help Ted.
The injectors that come in the kit are limited to 560 RWHP so you will need ID1050X injectors.

Ted.

I am back...

Hello Ted,

I have been thinking about this for a while and adding up the price of all the mods comes out to over $10k, so I thought 550-560 RWHP sounds like a good plan now.

If I limit it to that much I can get away without the ID injectors and save $1k and was also thinking I could go with the old style Magnuson TVS 2300, which would shave another $1200 or so off the price of the parts. At that level do you think the LS9 heads are still needed?

I thought they would be a good idea where they were CNC ported and are made for a supercharged engine, but seems like a lot of guys just run with the stock LS3 heads on their cars with a supercharger. If I don't do the heads then that saves another $1700 at least based on the best price I found for them. If I did get them I could sell off my LS3 heads and intake with the fuels rails, injectors and stock throttle body to recoup some of the cost of the parts.

Thank you,

Don
1LEANSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 06:49 AM   #446
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEANSS View Post
Quote:

I am back...

Hello Ted,

I have been thinking about this for a while and adding up the price of all the mods comes out to over $10k, so I thought 550-560 RWHP sounds like a good plan now.

If I limit it to that much I can get away without the ID injectors and save $1k and was also thinking I could go with the old style Magnuson TVS 2300, which would shave another $1200 or so off the price of the parts. At that level do you think the LS9 heads are still needed?

I thought they would be a good idea where they were CNC ported and are made for a supercharged engine, but seems like a lot of guys just run with the stock LS3 heads on their cars with a supercharger. If I don't do the heads then that saves another $1700 at least based on the best price I found for them. If I did get them I could sell off my LS3 heads and intake with the fuels rails, injectors and stock throttle body to recoup some of the cost of the parts.

Thank you,

Don
Hello Don, save your money on heads and put it in the fuel system, the LS3 heads make great power, if you follow our recipes you can't go wrong.

Contact me for an estimate and I will get you the most for your money.

Tedj@jannettyracing.com

Ted.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:48 PM   #447
2NASSTY

Drives: 2014 M6 ZL1
Hello Ted. Great thread topic and info here. I’ve been throwing around the idea of a bigger aftermarket blower on my M6 ZL1 down the road. I have forged pistons/rods and factory crank/displacement bottom. Meth/e85, 1300 injectors, D-Steck Aux fuel pump. Trunk ice tank with rule pump. Weapon X track attack HE up front. Still running ported LSA Blower with 5” intake thru 102 NW TB. Car runs good at the track at factory weight.

I’ve been looking at the Magnuson 2.65 but I want to retain my factory hood and look. Not sold on the Magnuson 2.3L versus my ported 1.9. I’ve been researching the Procharger f1X but I don’t know of any LSA bottom running this blower. Also fear I may loose bottom end torque at the track with this centrifugal blower. Not sold on turbos on my Ride for the same reason. What Are your thought on F1X on a LSA M6? Thanks
06' LeMans Blue Metallic Z06, 11.726 at 127.80 MPH Motor - SOLD.
96' Impala SS LTx, 11.397 at 118.10 MPH Motor, 1st stage 10.526 at 127.46 MPH
2NASSTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:11 AM   #448
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NASSTY View Post
Hello Ted. Great thread topic and info here. I’ve been throwing around the idea of a bigger aftermarket blower on my M6 ZL1 down the road. I have forged pistons/rods and factory crank/displacement bottom. Meth/e85, 1300 injectors, D-Steck Aux fuel pump. Trunk ice tank with rule pump. Weapon X track attack HE up front. Still running ported LSA Blower with 5” intake thru 102 NW TB. Car runs good at the track at factory weight.

I’ve been looking at the Magnuson 2.65 but I want to retain my factory hood and look. Not sold on the Magnuson 2.3L versus my ported 1.9. I’ve been researching the Procharger f1X but I don’t know of any LSA bottom running this blower. Also fear I may loose bottom end torque at the track with this centrifugal blower. Not sold on turbos on my Ride for the same reason. What Are your thought on F1X on a LSA M6? Thanks
I on the other hand am sold on the TVS 2300 Heartbeat, that thing is a monster on an LSA When they first came out we did a 416 LSA with a heartbeat at full weight with a M6 went 10.4 first pass taking it easy Made 844 RWHP on E-70.

This car has had an extremely hard life drag racing, road racing, an mile events and it is still running today, Just talked to him last week talking about a freshen up for the end of this year.