Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #15
JD555

Drives: 2014 2SS RS, 6 sp man
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
Many battery chargers deliver a pulsed, too high or unclean voltage that I would not trust unless it was buffered with a battery still in the circuit. There is a chance a battery charger connected to your car with no battery could damage computers.
Your not kidding about the unclean. i noticed mine makes some noise when plugged into the same outlet as a radio I have in the garage charging my boat batteries. I just hooked up an O scope after you made me think about in in your post and it does do some very low voltage spiking fully charged. Each spike is made up of a high frequency. I can see the wave form on the scope.
JD555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #16
George-CZ

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 and 1978 STROKER 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
RAP and BUB info https://www.interstatebatteries.com/...04CFEC20289EC0

FWIW... I changed 2 batteries in my car both times with a battery tender connected to the engine bay remote battery connections before the battery was removed and after the driver door was opened. 1st time didn’t have to reset anything. 2nd time had to re-index windows and reset Mylink time and date ...weird
We will try the above method and then we will be wiser.
In any case, I would rather do an unnecessary extra effort than complicate my life with a out of tune car.

Thanks for the link. Saved.
George-CZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:08 PM   #17
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
RAP relay. Retained Accessory Power. Relay is mounted in the driver's side dash fuse panel. Supplies power to certain functions when you turn the ignition key off, example: 12volt sockets, for approximately 10 minutes. Opening the driver's side will cancel RAP function, killing the power. I would not plug anything into the OBDII and the 12volt plug, cigarette lighter, will be dead due to the RAP. So the key would have to be in the run position. I would not feel comfortable doing this. Instead, use another 12 volt battery from a vehicle, lawn tractor, motorcycle, etc. and connect it under the hood on the + terminal and a ground using jumper cables. Just remember, when you disconnect the cables from the battery in the trunk, they will still be "hot" from being back fed from the other battery. Be certain they do not touch or the + cable contacts a ground/body.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote