Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-09-2018, 07:53 AM   #1
786tech

Drives: 2018 Red Hot 1SS 1LE
Restart Engine while Coasting

I have a manual transmission. If the engine stalls on the highway, is it possible to push the start button to restart it while coasting? Do I have to have clutch pressed, brake pressed, gear in neutral, etc? Couldn't find answer after searching forums and googling.

EDIT: TLDR: For an M6, clutch in and push start button.

Last edited by 786tech; 09-10-2018 at 08:04 AM.
786tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
wildchevy

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS convertible
engines don't stall on the highway and don't turn it off to save fuel. You will have to do what ever you do when stopped to restart it.

2018 HBM 2SS CONVERTIBLE A8
wildchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:20 AM   #3
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchevy View Post
engines don't stall on the highway and don't turn it off to save fuel. You will have to do what ever you do when stopped to restart it.
Well...."technically" they can stall on the highway...they're just not supposed to...albeit it would take a considerable failure to cause it to stop on the highway...usually a cut in fuel delivery.
Need4Camaro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchevy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Well...."technically" they can stall on the highway...they're just not supposed to...albeit it would take a considerable failure to cause it to stop on the highway...usually a cut in fuel delivery.
I had the same thought. Yes, it's possible, just not likely. And in the event of a non-likely event, I'd be more focused on safely pulling the vehicle to the shoulder. Mostly because if it stalled, it probably wouldn't restart.

Years ago, Mrs. Number 3 had a CTF Corvette we were driving to Aspen from Michigan. In the middle of BFE Nebraska, we stopped for fuel, got back on the highway and 2 miles down the road the engine quit, every bell, light and warning went off. Pulled over and waited a bit and finally the engine restarted. Best we could figure was we got some bad gas and one of the ignition sensors shut the car down in a "self protection mode" of some kind. But no more troubles after that for the rest of the trip. So it can happen.

Also OP, curious as to why your question is specific to the highway and not just driving.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
786tech

Thanks for the replies. Yes, it applies to all driving situations. You have a longer time to restart at higher speeds and we have 8 lane highways here in Houston
Old 09-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #6
T Rex

Drives: '17 Hyper Blue RS, NPP, 6MT
Just clutch in and hit the start button like normal
T Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #7
2SSVERT

Drives: 17 garnet red 2ss vert
Just put it in gear and let the clutch out
2SSVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
matt fe2o3

Drives: 2SS Hyper Blue
I can't imagine it won't. I have a FI Italian bike and hit the kill switch on the bar one day by accident. Flipped it back the switch back while rolling in gear and like nothing happened it restarted. However a low speed bump starting a high compression FI bike is tough - really tough.

I assume the Camaro, if powered on will simply spin up at speed without a question. There is a youtube of a guy testing that same question on another vehicle out there.

I suppose you could find a downhill that is mty of other cars and test it. We usually don't power off coast for any distance on bikes because the oil pump is not turning and the trans is almost always lubricated by engine oil and some components are still turning.

I don't know enough about automatics to state - but even in neutral you have some gearing and bearings in the transmission shaft turning and they would not be pumping fluid for cooling. Does not to me, seem like coasting for any distance is a good idea.
Old 09-09-2018, 01:44 PM   #9
786tech

I'm relearning to drive stick after 20 years so I thought it may turn off on the highway if I select the wrong gear. Good to know it can be restarted. Thanks guys.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:55 PM   #10
matt fe2o3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 786tech View Post
I'm relearning to drive stick after 20 years so I thought it may turn off on the highway if I select the wrong gear. Good to know it can be restarted. Thanks guys.
I would have loved to get a stick - however geographics of where I live (metro) plus family who drives autos - pretty much precluded that.

The manual trans is totally cool.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:44 PM   #11
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
From what I have seen on how the start button works, here is my input.

I wouldnt do a thing if you stalled the vehicle and it died other than get the car stopped safely. Here is why, in order to start the car again you are going to have to push the start button once and that push will turn the car off, then you will have to push it again to turn the car on and for the start process to cycle.

If you turn the car off the steering wheel is going to lock and you wont have any control over the steering until the ignition comes back on again and unlocks the steering wheel.

This isnt like a old keyed system where you could just turn the physical key to start again and try to start the car while rolling.

In the times I have messed with my car in the garage, if the start sequence fails to fire off you have to push the button to turn the car off and then back on to try again. I think the same thing happens if the car was running and dies, the button has to be pushed to turn the car off and then pushed again to turn it back on.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #12
matt fe2o3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
From what I have seen on how the start button works, here is my input.

I wouldnt do a thing if you stalled the vehicle and it died other than get the car stopped safely. Here is why, in order to start the car again you are going to have to push the start button once and that push will turn the car off, then you will have to push it again to turn the car on and for the start process to cycle.

If you turn the car off the steering wheel is going to lock and you wont have any control over the steering until the ignition comes back on again and unlocks the steering wheel.

This isnt like a old keyed system where you could just turn the physical key to start again and try to start the car while rolling.

In the times I have messed with my car in the garage, if the start sequence fails to fire off you have to push the button to turn the car off and then back on to try again. I think the same thing happens if the car was running and dies, the button has to be pushed to turn the car off and then pushed again to turn it back on.
I'm not certain steering wheel lock will occur in anything outside of Park. I think that's a safety feature. I have never seen a car turned off steering lock when outside of park. I'll test that tomorrow morning when I'm waiting for the AM shift to start.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:12 AM   #13
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Mine is a M6 so I dont have park, but once I hit the button while in the on/run position and it turns the car off I heard the elctronic steering click, after soo many degrees of rotation I "think" the steering wheel will lock.

Then again, I have never tested the theory out.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 04:29 AM   #14
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
Think your hands are gonna be full trying to steer without power assist.
Probably getting to a spot before crashing, or posing a hazard to other motorists will be main concern.
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
restart, stall