Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-27-2021, 02:42 PM   #15
95TA - The Beast

Drives: 2014 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance
Mr. RHOSH, what youa re describing on the dyno tune is EXACTLY why there was no real increase over the baseline pull with the bolt-ons.

About the ONLY thing the bolt on would have shown is that you were DOWN on power when you first dyno'd, NOT that you INCREASED power with all the mods before the tune.

Basically your stock plugs, coils, air filter, and everything else you replaced were "BAD" and costing you power vs NEW items that your replaced them with. That is the only way you increased power, was because your stock tune was MEANT to make as much as you got after you made all the changes. Basically, goes to show how much is left on the table due to a good old fashioned "tune-up" that anyone can do.

Quite frankly, I totally forgot you didn't have a tune after you made the changes, since anyone that makes changes like you did goes and gets a tune to make them work.

Yeah, the latest generation of engine controls REALLY change things... No more doing amod and getting an increase... You need to know how the mod changes things and then dial it in appropriately.

One thing, I would NOT use a tuner that doesn't know these engine control systems... They are TOTALLY different than any previous systems. If the tuner hasn't spent a lot of time tuning these, GET A NEW TUNER!!!

Not saying he can't tune older setups, as I am sure there are a lot that can, but FAR TOO MANY totally screw up these cars and destroy them with thier ignorance of these systems. Do some reading on here and educate yourself.

People that thought their tuner was the "cats-ass" now know they were hacks that cost them their motor.
95TA - The Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:24 AM   #16
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95TA - The Beast View Post
Mr. RHOSH, what youa re describing on the dyno tune is EXACTLY why there was no real increase over the baseline pull with the bolt-ons.

About the ONLY thing the bolt on would have shown is that you were DOWN on power when you first dyno'd, NOT that you INCREASED power with all the mods before the tune.

Basically your stock plugs, coils, air filter, and everything else you replaced were "BAD" and costing you power vs NEW items that your replaced them with. That is the only way you increased power, was because your stock tune was MEANT to make as much as you got after you made all the changes. Basically, goes to show how much is left on the table due to a good old fashioned "tune-up" that anyone can do.

Quite frankly, I totally forgot you didn't have a tune after you made the changes, since anyone that makes changes like you did goes and gets a tune to make them work.

Yeah, the latest generation of engine controls REALLY change things... No more doing amod and getting an increase... You need to know how the mod changes things and then dial it in appropriately.

One thing, I would NOT use a tuner that doesn't know these engine control systems... They are TOTALLY different than any previous systems. If the tuner hasn't spent a lot of time tuning these, GET A NEW TUNER!!!

Not saying he can't tune older setups, as I am sure there are a lot that can, but FAR TOO MANY totally screw up these cars and destroy them with thier ignorance of these systems. Do some reading on here and educate yourself.

People that thought their tuner was the "cats-ass" now know they were hacks that cost them their motor.
Well said Beast and Wook. I've said it for years, these cars are an unconventional nightmare to tune. The stock tune in the ECU will not allow any HP or TQ gains. You have to tune the ECU to unlock the benefits of any and all bolt-on's.
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:26 PM   #17
Crusher103

Drives: Cadillac ATS
Late to the party but this one is mine:

I'm not sure if the ATS and Camaro ECU function exactly the same however, I got 273whp and 294wtq with just an intake. My jaw hit the floor, I was expecting 230ish and 250wtq at most. No tune or nothing. That being said the t00ner stated(Brian at VT) it was not exactly safe, it was spiking boost and AFRs were lean. But a stock unmodded ECU put down a 50whp gain. Dyno'd in 4th gear.

Dyno is not high reading, I had a G37 before this car also in my yt channel made normal G37 numbers on this dyno 305whp 250wtq.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:57 PM   #18
95TA - The Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher103 View Post
Late to the party but this one is mine:

I'm not sure if the ATS and Camaro ECU function exactly the same however, I got 273whp and 294wtq with just an intake. My jaw hit the floor, I was expecting 230ish and 250wtq at most. No tune or nothing. That being said the t00ner stated(Brian at VT) it was not exactly safe, it was spiking boost and AFRs were lean. But a stock unmodded ECU put down a 50whp gain. Dyno'd in 4th gear.

Dyno is not high reading, I had a G37 before this car also in my yt channel made normal G37 numbers on this dyno 305whp 250wtq.
I would say your car has a tune already loaded on it. From the factory it is not possible. If your car is acting like that it has to have a "ghosted" tune loaded where it "looks" stock, but is not.

Again, it has to do with the programming. Also the stock intake is not a major restriction. No way would you gain that much with just that. It *HAS* to have a tune loaded.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:08 AM   #19
Crusher103

Drives: Cadillac ATS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95TA - The Beast View Post
I would say your car has a tune already loaded on it. From the factory it is not possible. If your car is acting like that it has to have a "ghosted" tune loaded where it "looks" stock, but is not.

Again, it has to do with the programming. Also the stock intake is not a major restriction. No way would you gain that much with just that. It *HAS* to have a tune loaded.
I thought the same thing, there has to be a tune on the car. I asked the PO of the car and Brian found nothing altered from stock. I informed him of the numbers and asked him to take a close look at the files on the car. Nothing. I asked the typical tuners of this car if they had a record of the vin in their systems. I could not find it with the big-name tuners. But those were the numbers it made.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:21 AM   #20
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Whenever I see dyno numbers that don't line up I recommend going to the track, because the trap speed never lies
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 08:53 AM   #21
95TA - The Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher103 View Post
I thought the same thing, there has to be a tune on the car. I asked the PO of the car and Brian found nothing altered from stock. I informed him of the numbers and asked him to take a close look at the files on the car. Nothing. I asked the typical tuners of this car if they had a record of the vin in their systems. I could not find it with the big-name tuners. But those were the numbers it made.
Yeah, you can "stealth" or "ghost" a tune. It is a change to the filesystem where you change a pointer to the file the OS loads vs what is available in the directory. So you would never "see" a tune loaded like that. When you download all the files it literally won't even see the tune and you get all the stock stuff that is loaded only.

Only way to know for sure is to flash a total stock tune from GM to the car with a complete overwrite, which will change the counters and will fully flash the computer. If it wasn't tuned, no blood, no foul. If it was tuned you will at least KNOW what you are running and know it is safe.

Far too many jokers messed with these setups and have blown them up because they try tuning them like previous generation setups. They are FAR from that.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:46 AM   #22
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS View Post
Whenever I see dyno numbers that don't line up I recommend going to the track, because the trap speed never lies
i thought the burnout never lied..?