#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #15
fosterelli

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNxR3DNECK View Post
But I got a smoking deal on some DSSVs thanks to that kid so I'm not complaining lol
That's called WINNING my brother!
fosterelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:02 AM   #16
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Old 02-19-2019, 11:11 AM   #17
Vtor_ZL1
Who Needs to KNOW?

Drives: 18 ZLE
Step 1: Measure free length
Step 2: Inside Dimension
Step 3: Measure or calculate spring rate
Step 4: straight, barrel, conical shape
Step 5: profit ?

Unlikely they used custom size, so you have some options for ID: 1.875, 2, 2.25, 2.5 inch, 36, 60, 62, 70mm

Hyperco, Swift, Eibach, BC, etc all make varying length springs and spring rates - just match the ID or pair it with adapter/spacer ring.

Are you in the NY/NJ/PA/CT region? Join us for autox fun at MetLife Stadium. HUGE lots, tons of runs.

http://www.motorsportsne.com/
Vtor_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #18
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I think that would be a brilliant thing for GMPP to tackle. I would love to see some options with spring rates on that car, as well as making the standard Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 tires avail. for it as well.

Those 2 things and I would have chosen it over the SS 1LE.

And for the few smartasses that will comment and say , just get a ZL1 my reply is.... even if you do that, you lose not having the solid rear cradle bushings, the direct mount shocks to the frame, the dive plans / rear wing and wider wheels/tires. Also, the smartasses can keep their "if you could afford one" comments to yourselves as well. Money isn't the factor here.
If you want softer ride get some tires that are taller more side wall softer ride, and the Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 are out got a set two weeks ago.
Attached Images

2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 02:37 PM   #19
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
If you want softer ride get some tires that are taller more side wall softer ride, and the Goodyear F1 Supercar 3 are out got a set two weeks ago.
Those are the 3R's in the ZL1 and SS 1LE sizes.

I was talking about having the standard 3's in ZL1 1LE sizes.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 03:01 PM   #20
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Those are the 3R's in the ZL1 and SS 1LE sizes.

I was talking about having the standard 3's in ZL1 1LE sizes.
Thats up to Goodyear not GM, unless you want them to start putting them on all SS and 1LE cars, that will not happen.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:42 PM   #21
trakdayz

Drives: E92 M3 & E36 M3 (Full Race car)
Great post here. I was actually considering changing spring rates for specific track use but cant change them. Then coilovers would be the next option. The 1LE with Penske's would be an epic change for the hardcore track guys.
Im currently running MCS 2 ways on my track specific E92 M3 and its night a day of a difference with swapping out springs, dampening adjustments, rebound getting all the right adjustments in for Tire, Aero, style of driving, Specific track etc....really can go on and on.
Long story short, the 1LE is such a great deal of a car, hopefully a quality suspension company will release something like KW's, MCS, JRZ etc. But if $$ isn't an option ANZE out in Long Island NY will surely build a custom setup using PENKSE components for sureeeee.
So....if you are just a 2x a year so-called track rat...enjoy the car as is
trakdayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:45 PM   #22
fosterelli

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
DUHHH, lol.

I wasn't complaining, I was saying it would be nice if that was an option, regardless of whose decision it is.
It might be nice for those who would choose a different tire, but it can't happen at the factory level unless they produce many more units.

It's unfeasible for the production numbers and the even lower number of people who would (1) special order and (2) choose something other than the 3Rs. They're not into having extra parts laying around the factory just in case someone wants a different tire.

Last edited by fosterelli; 02-20-2019 at 08:10 AM.
fosterelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:16 AM   #23
Traind

Drives: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtor_ZL1 View Post
Nice canned response. It's perfect don't touch it, we can't tell you otherwise for liability reason.

*yaawn*

If we took that approach, everyone would be driving plain jane stock cars.
You are probably right but there is more to it than that.

Chevrolet spent a lot of time and effort dialing in every component in the suspension to be optimized for the track. Multimatic understands that because this is what they do for a living. A lot of people who want to make aftermarket modifications don't have the understanding to get it done right. And that includes a lot of shops that do this for people. All the engineering to dial in all of the suspension components is not done when the typical person changes one component in their car. The result is that a highly specialized and engineered vehicle from the factory gets messed with ad hoc with no real testing.

In my opinion, many of the modifications done on well-engineered cars actually diminish the vehicle. It makes the owner feel good that they have something special and it may improve one small aspect of performance but the vehicle as an entire package ends up being compromised. And I think a vehicle like the Camaro zl11le is a great example of a vehicle you can mess up more easily than improve.
Traind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:18 AM   #24
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
Aren't these spool valve shocks the bee knees and pretty much any aftermarket would be a downgrade?
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #25
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traind View Post
You are probably right but there is more to it than that.

Chevrolet spent a lot of time and effort dialing in every component in the suspension to be optimized for the track. Multimatic understands that because this is what they do for a living. A lot of people who want to make aftermarket modifications don't have the understanding to get it done right. And that includes a lot of shops that do this for people. All the engineering to dial in all of the suspension components is not done when the typical person changes one component in their car. The result is that a highly specialized and engineered vehicle from the factory gets messed with ad hoc with no real testing.

In my opinion, many of the modifications done on well-engineered cars actually diminish the vehicle. It makes the owner feel good that they have something special and it may improve one small aspect of performance but the vehicle as an entire package ends up being compromised. And I think a vehicle like the Camaro zl11le is a great example of a vehicle you can mess up more easily than improve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
Aren't these spool valve shocks the bee knees and pretty much any aftermarket would be a downgrade?
Old 02-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #26
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotswap View Post
That would be my guess. I mean they use them on F1 cars.

I am sure a quality coil-over from Moton or Ohlin would be just as good, but then you have to engineer the shit out of all the other suspension components to match from springs, to sways bars, to bushing sets, to roll center/height, to compression and rebound settings, to tires, to Stability control, traction and ABS settings.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:53 AM   #27
gotswap

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Crush
Quote:
That would be my guess. I mean they use them on F1 cars.

I am sure a quality coil-over from Moton or Ohlin would be just as good, but then you have to engineer the shit out of all the other suspension components to match from springs, to sways bars, to bushing sets, to roll center/height, to compression and rebound settings, to tires, to Stability control, traction and ABS settings.
Seems like that would be totally worth it
gotswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:01 PM   #28
WhyUMad1LE

Drives: 17 SS 1LE
The Savage Goose review mentioned the springs are made in Mexico and that a US or German made spring would be a nice upgrade with the stock shocks. But you would have to find a spring with the exact same specs or make a custom one.
WhyUMad1LE is offline   Reply With Quote