Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-04-2019, 09:36 AM   #15
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7WSM View Post
Have gone away from the ceramic coating and now back the waxes and detail spray. Collinite 845 and P&S Beadmaker.
Me too. Ceramic still gets swirls and scratches and then it is expensive to re-do the coating after polishing out the defect. Wax is cheap.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #16
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Wax is dead for general use! Switch to a polymer sealant or a Silica sealant, much better and lasts a lot longer. Carpro products I like a lot, have used a bunch of brands out there and have stuck with Carpro for quite a while now. Read Glen's post up top, good stuff!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:39 AM   #17
ToeKnee Sea

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Opti-seal.
ToeKnee Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #18
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
Used Zaino for 10 years. Switched to Adams about 10 years ago.

Have Adams Ceramic on the wife's Honda and H20 Guard & Gloss/Glaze on my 1LE.
Thanks!

https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...d-glazing.html
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:07 PM   #19
karmatourer
STD free

Drives: 2018 Bright Yellow LGX M6 RS NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Wax is dead for general use! Switch to a polymer sealant or a Silica sealant, much better and lasts a lot longer. Carpro products I like a lot, have used a bunch of brands out there and have stuck with Carpro for quite a while now. Read Glen's post up top, good stuff!
Just the opposite is true. Wax will always be around.
karmatourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 04:58 PM   #20
Cchief

Drives: 2017 Fifty 2SS Convertible
Used KLASSE for years, recently switched to HydroSilex, good stuff and extremely easy to apply.
Cchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #21
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatourer View Post
Just the opposite is true. Wax will always be around.
Agree. Nothing shines like carnauba. It is also a natural product and safe on your hands to work without gloves. Polymers come and go out of fashion.

Silica is nice for mobile detailing and for people that dont care about the extra shine.

IMO ceramic coatings are dead. The manufacturers got a lot of money for them though by hyping them as the end all solution.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:54 PM   #22
Stocktastic

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue SS 1LE
Adam's.

Their CS team won me over a few years ago. Now I just order all the new stuff as it drops, haha.
Stocktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #23
UK Basketball Rocks

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7WSM View Post
Can't comment on longevity since I have only had it for a month or so and the car has sat in the garage for almost all that time. Funny enough, I was about out of Reload too when I made the switch. But from initial application on a corrected car, with a fresh coat of 845, I thought it was very smooth before the Beadmaker, after the application of Beadmaker made it super slick to the touch. That in itself was super impressive to me.
Its hard to beat the 845 Collinite, thats what ive been using for years. I may give that Beadmaker a try...
UK Basketball Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:10 PM   #24
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
I use the Klasse twins topped with Collinite 845
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:16 AM   #25
SSport16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
Agree. Nothing shines like carnauba. It is also a natural product and safe on your hands to work without gloves. Polymers come and go out of fashion.

Silica is nice for mobile detailing and for people that dont care about the extra shine.

IMO ceramic coatings are dead. The manufacturers got a lot of money for them though by hyping them as the end all solution.
Not true about silica products and shine, I used all kinds of waxes for years, never has gloss and shine like I do with a silica sealant...not a big fan of ceramic coatings either, don't think they dead and will be around for a long time, but they are more of a pain in the rear than anything else.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:52 AM   #26
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
When Ssport16 says wax is dead, he is referring to the fact that many people are not using them anymore .....yes it works great for car shows, however autogeek will tell you that they're selling less than 10% of their total product line with wax now and it's moved over to sealants and polymers. Many of them are tough to get off, And don't last in a warmer climate longer than a month. I'm not interested in a product like that. Not anymore. I used to use Rejex and 845 by the gallon for boats , cars, everything.

I also find that you can get great durable gloss with silica, just look at the picture in the first link from his post that I linked up above.

Or this one....done totally by hand using a nanoskin sponge, essence and reload:

And coatings have gotten out of control. They water spot, and are entirely too finicky to put on, In my opinion. However they weren't invented to be used by every man, they were made to give detailers something that would protect the car for a long time where a person was not going to wash the car, or take care of it. Perfected by Dr. G@optimum and sold as "opti-coat", made for his professional detailers that couldn't get back To some clients quick enough.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #27
7WSM

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
I know it's purely subjective and also depends a lot on how well the paint is polished, but a true wax just looks like it glows and shines different from that of a ceramic coating. As a weekend warrior that has done at least 15-20 cars with ceramic coatings, they just have a different shine to them. It's hard to explain, but a lot of people say it's a more sterile shine and depending on the product, can give the car a candied look to it.

Only reason why I went away from ceramic coatings is because
A. They don't always last as long as the manufactures say, not without help from Si02 sprays lolwut? Sure, they bead up and run off well in the first couple of months of ownership, but once a year to 18 months come around, they are no where close to like a brand new ceramic coated car. It's only as of late when all these manufacturers have been coming out with the Si02 detail sprays to help with the longevity of the coatings. So that just begs the question, is it the spray or the coating? Most of the coatings advertise that it will protect the cars for at least a year if not more....
B. They are expensive, a lot of it is marking hype, I am willing to bet most of the ceramic coatings come from maybe 1 or 2 companies in the world. Having used at least 4 of the well known brands out there, I honestly can not say one is better then another, they all lasted about the same.
C. I just have too much other stuff I can use on the car. With a ceramic coating, you have to use a spray compatible with the coating. Plus, I don't mind sealing and waxing the car once or twice a year.
7WSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #28
SSport16

People seem to think that coatings by themselves have a ton of gloss but they don't, hence why topper products like Reload were created to give it that extreme gloss and shine.