Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 03-13-2017, 12:08 AM   #1
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Drives: 1Lap1LE | EV6 FE | 18 F150
REVIEW: Eibach Springs installed on 1LE

Want the quick answers ? Video here - https://youtu.be/mW2oMKnozvI

As far as I am able to tell, I'm the first 1LE owner to install the Eibach springs. I haven't seen any other posts or write-ups and I've asked for before/after pics and gotten none. So it seems safe to assume... I wanted to share my experience with the install so far. I have NOT aligned the car yet, but the steering wheel is a whole 1/2in off to the left so I doubt any feedback I have on ride will be related. I will update if necessary AFTER the alignment later this week. *edit* after alignment, the car is pretty relaxed feeling in Tour, and about the same in Sport and above.

Install
We installed this afternoon, we took about 3 hours with plenty of breaks and chit-chat, you can definitely do this faster (especially with a lift). The install is easy and straight-forward and the How-Tos that Phastek and Lethal have done are decent. We used Lethal's video to verify Mag-Ride equipped cars (and thus, 1LE owners) DO NOT use the extra bumpstops that Eibach includes, was nice to know.
You DO NOT need a lift to do this...
YOU DO NEED AN IMPACT! Why? Well the thing that neither how to video shows you is... What do do without an impact when you want to take the front strut hats off... Usually front struts have an allenkey and a nuts on the top... GM decided to use Star/Torx-pattern bits for this area instead of allen keys. You need a Torx T-40... and it needs to be LONG to get thru the socket you'd use on the strut bolt. We had a a T40 and ended up breaking it. We found out the impact was the way to go. But if you don't have one, I STRONGLY recommend you get one before starting the install.
Also of note: Remove the rear sensor arms for Mag Ride BEFORE dropping the control arm, otherwise you will likely break them.

How does it look?
These are rated at 1.1in drop front and rear, however that is for non-1LEs, as it certainly wasn't the case for me.
I'd say it's about a half inch drop all around at most. Looks decent, but don't expect a "slammed" look, it's not going to happen.

How does it drive?
Well I drove home in Touring mode, and put it in Sport a couple times... I did not test S/I mode or Track mode.
Here's my reactions from each...
In Sport - Ride stiffness is about the same, didn't feel much different from what I could tell.
In Touring - It's actually softer than stock, or certainly FEELS that way. For me personally, this is a welcome change as I drive in Tour most of the time and the highway near me is somewhat rough. I don't feel like the car handles any worse, I just feel like it's a little more accommodating over rough/broken/uneven pavement.
I can say that since the standard MRC springs and 1LE Springs are likely different rates (why else would the 1LE kit come with new springs), that the Eibachs are likely an "in between" spring rate. A little softer than OEM 1LE springs, but a little more firm that factory 1SS/2SS MRC springs.

Verdict?
I'd recommend these for folks who think Touring mode isn't quite soft enough/those who would like the car to have a "GT" feeling in Tour mode, but Sport/Track modes are fine, as you definitely notice the difference between Tour and Sport now - where it wasn't as noticeable before. Because of the negligible height difference, I don't really recommend buying these for any aesthetic purpose. Personally I will keep these for now, as I like the slightly softer Touring mode right, but I can't say I'd have bought them if I knew that was going to be the main/only difference.

*edit* - Took a quick pic... TOP is stock 1LE springs (taken a month or more ago)... BOTTOM is Eibach... I gotta say after seeing it - it's probably only a half inch all around at best.

'22 Kia EV6 First Edition
'18 RS3 (1 of 2) Cumulus Blue
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
'19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor

Last edited by RideZX6R; 03-18-2017 at 11:37 PM.
RideZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:08 AM   #2
1LE caSSper

Drives: White 1LE
Pics please hurry
1LE caSSper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:48 AM   #3
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
I've read a lot about people who installed lowering springs in an MRC equipped car and after a few thousand miles have gotten a "bouncy" ride in the rear. I know the Caddy guys had to change out the sensor rods (or whatever the technical name is) to get the MRC to perform correctly. I personally would be hesitant to install lowering spring on these cars without those or some updated MRC calibration.

Hopefully you have no issues...
Old 03-13-2017, 08:06 AM   #4
locktyght

Drives: Summit White 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
I've read a lot about people who installed lowering springs in an MRC equipped car and after a few thousand miles have gotten a "bouncy" ride in the rear. I know the Caddy guys had to change out the sensor rods (or whatever the technical name is) to get the MRC to perform correctly. I personally would be hesitant to install lowering spring on these cars without those or some updated MRC calibration.

Hopefully you have no issues...
I'm 2,000 miles in, with lots of garage time for settling in, and mine still rides with zero bounce.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:07 AM   #5
locktyght

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideZX6R View Post
As far as I am able to tell, I'm the first 1LE owner to install the Eibach springs. I haven't seen any other posts or write-ups and I've asked for before/after pics and gotten none. So it seems safe to assume... I wanted to share my experience with the install so far. I have NOT aligned the car yet, but the steering wheel is a whole 1/2in off to the left so I doubt any feedback I have on ride will be related. I will update if necessary AFTER the alignment later this week.

Install
We installed this afternoon, we took about 3 hours with plenty of breaks and chit-chat, you can definitely do this faster (especially with a lift). The install is easy and straight-forward and the How-Tos that Phastek and Lethal have done are decent. We used Lethal's video to verify Mag-Ride equipped cars (and thus, 1LE owners) DO NOT use the extra bumpstops that Eibach includes, was nice to know.
You DO NOT need a lift to do this...
YOU DO NEED AN IMPACT! Why? Well the thing that neither how to video shows you is... What do do without an impact when you want to take the front strut hats off... Usually front struts have an allenkey and a nuts on the top... GM decided to use Star/Torx-pattern bits for this area instead of allen keys. You need a Torx T-40... and it needs to be LONG to get thru the socket you'd use on the strut bolt. We had a a T40 and ended up breaking it. We found out the impact was the way to go. But if you don't have one, I STRONGLY recommend you get one before starting the install.

How does it look?
These are rated at 1.1in drop front and rear. However I'd say that's likely for NON-MRC cars, as it certainly wasn't the case for me.
The rear is definitely about .50-.75in lower... The front is harder to tell. At first glance it seemed the same, but after a little driving (about 15 miles home) and settling, I'd say it's probably about a half inch, it might drop a little more over the next week. Looks decent, but don't expect a "slammed" look, it's not going to happen.

How does it drive?
Well I drove home in Touring mode, and put it in Sport a couple times... I did not test S/I mode or Track mode.
Here's my reactions from each...
In Sport - Ride is about the same, didn't feel much different from what I could tell.
In Touring - It's actually softer than stock, or certainly FEELS that way. For me personally, this is a welcome change as I drive in Tour most of the time and the highway near me is somewhat rough. I don't feel like the car handles any worse, I just feel like it's a little more accommodating over rough/broken/uneven pavement.
I can say that since the standard MRC springs and 1LE Springs are likely different rates (why else would the 1LE kit come with new springs), that the Eibachs are likely an "in between" spring rate. A little softer than OEM 1LE springs, but a little more firm that factory 2SS MRC springs.

Overall... I'd spend the money again, I'm pretty happy. More updates to come as the miles get added.
I would also add to the install part, if you have mag ride, undo the sensor arms on the rear before dropping the lower control arms, they will break! I know from firsthand experience.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by locktyght View Post
I would also add to the install part, if you have mag ride, undo the sensor arms on the rear before dropping the lower control arms, they will break! I know from firsthand experience.
I'll add that, as I ran into it as well. I didn't break them, but we definitely saw them start to stretch and had a freak out moment.
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
'19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor
Old 03-13-2017, 12:16 PM   #7
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Thanks for sharing. A half inch shouldn't mess up the stroke too much as it's pretty much akin to having a couple big-boned people in the car.

I'm not too surprised to hear they're likely softer than the 1LE springs.

Definitely post pictures when you get a chance!
Old 03-13-2017, 12:26 PM   #8
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Updated some info about noticing (this morning on the ride to work) the car feels a little loose - likely just the alignment being out. However if it isn't the alignment, I'd likely go back to stock springs.
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
Old 03-13-2017, 12:45 PM   #9
locktyght

Quote:
I'll add that, as I ran into it as well. I didn't break them, but we definitely saw them start to stretch and had a freak out moment.
Yeah, I didn't notice until I was doing final checks on everything (installed other suspension components too) and noticed a piece hanging loose that obviously belonged somewhere, noticed it was the MRC sensor, looked across and the other one was in the same condition.

Quote:
Updated some info about noticing (this morning on the ride to work) the car feels a little loose - likely just the alignment being out. However if it isn't the alignment, I'd likely go back to stock springs.
Mine was the same before alignment, I think it will tighten up after it comes off the rack.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:12 PM   #10
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by locktyght View Post
Yeah, I didn't notice until I was doing final checks on everything (installed other suspension components too) and noticed a piece hanging loose that obviously belonged somewhere, noticed it was the MRC sensor, looked across and the other one was in the same condition.

Mine was the same before alignment, I think it will tighten up after it comes off the rack.
Thank you sir - Re-assuring to know
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
Old 03-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #11
nate.the.great

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Does the 1LE have the same springs as a vanilla 1SS or 2SS? Based on the 1LE suspension package (which doesn't include springs), it looks like it does.
nate.the.great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #12
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate.the.great View Post
Does the 1LE have the same springs as a vanilla 1SS or 2SS? Based on the 1LE suspension package (which doesn't include springs), it looks like it does.

1LE comes with stiffer springs and stiffer shock valving.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:04 PM   #13
nate.the.great

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FTY View Post
1LE comes with stiffer springs and stiffer shock valving.
Thank you, I must have read a bad online description.
nate.the.great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:19 PM   #14
F1FTY

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate.the.great View Post
Thank you, I must have read a bad online description.
F1FTY is offline   Reply With Quote