Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 07-09-2022, 09:01 AM   #43
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
lol... you really don't get it, do you?

And, yes... There are plenty of situations where the 0W-40 oil isn't readily available at dealerships. They simply are NOT going to stock a product that they don't use regularly.
So where you live, the only place you can buy oil is your dealership? Therefore, the specified 0w-40 Dexos 2 is not available to you?
Old 07-09-2022, 09:17 AM   #44
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
So where you live, the only place you can buy oil is your dealership? Therefore, the specified 0w-40 Dexos 2 is not available to you?
What is the relevance of where he lives and the locations 0w-40 dexos 2 available to him? The discussion has become about why people like you can not comprehend that 5w-30 dexos 1 can be used on the street AND was the recommended oil for LT1s since 2013 AND is still recommended for street use IF 0w-40 dexos 2 is not available.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 02:10 PM   #45
Msquared

Drives: Chevrolet SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
What is the relevance of where he lives and the locations 0w-40 dexos 2 available to him?
Did you read the wording in the manual that was already posted here? It tells you verbatim why it's relevant whether or not 0w-40 Dexos 2 oil available to the OP.

Quote:
The discussion has become about why people like you can not comprehend that 5w-30 dexos 1 can be used on the street AND was the recommended oil for LT1s since 2013 AND is still recommended for street use IF 0w-40 dexos 2 is not available.
I mean, you literally just wrote it in the part I bolded. The discussion is that the OP has a 2022 LT1 with an owner's manual that says to use 0w-40 Dexos 2 unless it's not available, and people in this thread are telling him to use something else even though the recommended oil is available to all of us. That's stupid. And if a dealership doesn't understand that, then they're stupid too and nobody should take their car there for service. If you don't understand why...well, I can keep typing it, but I can't understand it for you.
Old 07-09-2022, 02:52 PM   #46
LT1ornothing

Drives: 2020 LT1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msquared View Post
Did you read the wording in the manual that was already posted here? It tells you verbatim why it's relevant whether or not 0w-40 Dexos 2 oil available to the OP.

I mean, you literally just wrote it in the part I bolded. The discussion is that the OP has a 2022 LT1 with an owner's manual that says to use 0w-40 Dexos 2 unless it's not available, and people in this thread are telling him to use something else even though the recommended oil is available to all of us. That's stupid. And if a dealership doesn't understand that, then they're stupid too and nobody should take their car there for service. If you don't understand why...well, I can keep typing it, but I can't understand it for you.
Right back at you, feel free to read again from page 1 and read it all so you can see where it all went downhill for you. Warning: critical thinking skills may be required.
LT1ornothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 04:31 PM   #47
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
This engine holds 10 quarts and 5w-30 synthetic isn't good enough. Is 0w-40 called for in lt1 Silverado?
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:13 AM   #48
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
But 0W-40 ESP Formula wasn't around back then, obviously the GM Engineers have decided that is a much better oil than the older oils...
Wrong, it is about feedback from owners that track their car weekly and complained about changing the oil back and forth from street to track oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEornothing View Post
It is all that matters, 5w30 for the street use, 0w-40 dexos 2 for track AND/OR street. For any year gen V LT1. End of discussion.
Correct

Here is a great video about why GM worked with Mobil 1 to develop 0w40 for the LT1 motor. (FROM GM and MOBIL 1) Enjoy

https://youtu.be/KXfbT_vJhcw

Last edited by Memphis SS; 07-10-2022 at 08:26 AM.
Memphis SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:32 AM   #49
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis SS View Post
Wrong, it is about feedback from owners that track their car weekly and complained about changing the oil back and forth from street to track oil.
Not a chance...

The ZL1-1LE requires different oil on the track which can't be used on the street. This would still be the case even after a change in messaging from GM.

Alignment and suspension changes are often required for track use and those all have to be put back to appropriate settings for street use.

Specific parts are to be removed from the car for track use (front license plate bracket, for example) which must be reinstalled for street use.

People that track their cars are well aware of what goes into making a car "track ready" and then changing things back to being "street ready." There's absolutely no way that GM changed the wording for their oil requirements because of "owner feedback" and complaining about having to change the oil.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:49 AM   #50
Memphis SS

Quote:
Not a chance...

The ZL1-1LE requires different oil on the track which can't be used on the street. This would still be the case even after a change in messaging from GM.

Alignment and suspension changes are often required for track use and those all have to be put back to appropriate settings for street use.

Specific parts are to be removed from the car for track use (front license plate bracket, for example) which must be reinstalled for street use.

People that track their cars are well aware of what goes into making a car "track ready" and then changing things back to being "street ready." There's absolutely no way that GM changed the wording for their oil requirements because of "owner feedback" and complaining about having to change the oil.
Watch the video, (linked in my post above).... That was a direct quote from Mobil /GM rep as to why they introduced the 0W40 to the LT1.
FYI: This was held at the Daytona, Mobil 1 Seminar at the 2018 Rolex 24 Corvette Corral.

I guess you think you know more then the Mobil 1 /GM Global account manager?

Last edited by Memphis SS; 07-10-2022 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:03 AM   #51
DT10

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Ok so 0W-40 is for track use? Then why is it in the LT1? It’s not even a track car. Lol. The real reason is because they want watered down oils for emissions. Lower weight oils equal better mpg. Every manufacturer is doing this. My Toyota Highlander had 0w-16 in it for crying out loud. It’s getting to be like a limbo stick, how low can you go?
Old 07-10-2022, 09:12 AM   #52
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT10 View Post
Ok so 0W-40 is for track use? Then why is it in the LT1? It’s not even a track car. Lol. The real reason is because they want watered down oils for emissions. Lower weight oils equal better mpg. Every manufacturer is doing this. My Toyota Highlander had 0w-16 in it for crying out loud. It’s getting to be like a limbo stick, how low can you go?
I think you are confused.... We are talking about the LT1 motor in the Camaro SS and not the LT1 Model...LOL There are all levels of track cars and some are happy with using an SS. The SS is a track certified from GM. Others step up their game and use the 1LE and ZL1.

FYI: 0W40 is for both track and street. I would guess that is why it also comes in the LT1 model. Why change to 5W30 for one low production street version when one oil covers both.

Last edited by Memphis SS; 07-10-2022 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:06 AM   #53
DT10

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS
Quote:
I think you are confused.... We are talking about the LT1 motor in the Camaro SS and not the LT1 Model...LOL There are all levels of track cars and some are happy with using an SS. The SS is a track certified from GM. Others step up their game and use the 1LE and ZL1.

FYI: 0W40 is for both track and street. I would guess that is why it also comes in the LT1 model. Why change to 5W30 for one low production street version when one oil covers both.

Aside from cooling please tell me the difference between the engine in my LT1 and what is in the 1SS or 2SS.

You don’t have to guess why it comes in the LT1, I explained why. MPG. Lower viscosity oil = less drag on rotating assembly.
Old 07-10-2022, 10:11 AM   #54
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Watch the video, (linked in my post above).... That was a direct quote from Mobil /GM rep as to why they introduced the 0W40. to the LT1.
Whether it is or isn't a direct quote or the reason, you're confusing two very important points...

Recommended versus required

and

The change in messaging from "5W-30 but 0W-40 for the track" to "0W-40 but 5W-30 is ok for the street"
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:50 AM   #55
Memphis SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT10 View Post
Aside from cooling please tell me the difference between the engine in my LT1 and what is in the 1SS or 2SS.

You don’t have to guess why it comes in the LT1, I explained why. MPG. Lower viscosity oil = less drag on rotating assembly.
You asked why GM used the 0W40 in a not track car I gave you one.

FYI: No difference just stated that the 0W40 can be used for Track or street so why would GM need to change to a different oil for the street version model. Watch the video from the GM event.. It does provide reason for their decisions.

Also it would only be less drag during cold starts when comparing 0W vs 5W. That is also discussed in the video.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:30 AM   #56
Memphis SS

Quote:
Whether it is or isn't a direct quote or the reason, you're confusing two very important points...

Recommended versus required

and

The change in messaging from "5W-30 but 0W-40 for the track" to "0W-40 but 5W-30 is ok for the street"
Can you show me were I stated anything about Recommend versus required?

I think I only stated that GM introduced the 0W40 to provided owners with a oil that could be used at the track or on the street because of feedback in having to changed between weekend events. 0W40 became the all around oil for both. .

As other have shown on the forum in this tread 5W30 can be used as a street only driving.

Again watch the video when you get time, I enjoyed it, I also had the chance to talk to some of the Mobil guys at one of the events I attended.