Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 11-15-2021, 10:04 PM   #1
JS208

Drives: 2012 camaro SS
Whipple start up help.

Just got done installing my whipple kit and everything appeared to be going well until I started it up today. As soon as I fired it up it was like it went wide open throttle. RPMs shot to the top and I immediately shut it off. Got out checked everything over again and everything is connected properly.

Started it up again and same thing. Immediately shut it down and contacted whipple. They stated that all they supply is a stock tune and since my car is modified (CAI and long tube with exhaust) I will need a custom tune. I knew this going into the install but wouldn't have thought that these few mods would make the car respond like this. Thought I would at least be able to drive it to my tuner.

Does this sound right to you guys or is there maybe a different issue going on other than the stock Whipple tune? Anybody else ever experience this wide open throttle issue after installing their whipple? Could a big enough vacuum leak cause the car to behave like this at start up? I checked and rechecked all my connections and hoses and everything seems solid unless it's leaking at the lower manifold port gaskets?

Any advice or help is appreciated.
Thanks.
JS208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 10:38 PM   #2
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Do you have a stock or aftermarket throttle body? Sounds like it's stuck open. Do you have HPTuners? You can check the throttle position with the key on without starting the car.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:37 AM   #3
JS208

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
Do you have a stock or aftermarket throttle body? Sounds like it's stuck open. Do you have HPTuners? You can check the throttle position with the key on without starting the car.

It's a stock throttle body. I cleaned it prior to reinstalling it but this is something definitely worth checking when I get home. I have the hp tuners RTD module that whipple supplied in their kit. I believe this will allow me to see the throttle position. I know it won't allow me to make any changes but hopefully I can view it.
Old 11-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #4
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS208 View Post
Just got done installing my whipple kit and everything appeared to be going well until I started it up today. As soon as I fired it up it was like it went wide open throttle. RPMs shot to the top and I immediately shut it off. Got out checked everything over again and everything is connected properly.

Started it up again and same thing. Immediately shut it down and contacted whipple. They stated that all they supply is a stock tune and since my car is modified (CAI and long tube with exhaust) I will need a custom tune. I knew this going into the install but wouldn't have thought that these few mods would make the car respond like this. Thought I would at least be able to drive it to my tuner.

Does this sound right to you guys or is there maybe a different issue going on other than the stock Whipple tune? Anybody else ever experience this wide open throttle issue after installing their whipple? Could a big enough vacuum leak cause the car to behave like this at start up? I checked and rechecked all my connections and hoses and everything seems solid unless it's leaking at the lower manifold port gaskets?

Any advice or help is appreciated.
Thanks.
yes.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock" SOLD
630whp 658wtq

2024 F-150 RCSB 5.0 4x4
waiting for tunes...
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 12:01 PM   #5
sscamaro

Drives: 2010 2SS, 2017 Silverado LTZ
I have an Edelbrock S/C which came with a tuner. Before it was installed It had LT headers, a cold air intake and a ported TB. After the install and using the tuner, it worked OK. One month later I got a dyno tune. Never had a problem before the dyno tune. Was running lean, so I had to get a ZL1 fuel pump and larger injectors. Afer that it worked like a charm.
2010 2SS/RS Victory Red, MN6, 1-7/8 Kooks LT Headers, SLP Axle Back, Edelbrock E-Force S/C, ZL1 Fuel Pump, 72# Injectors, JRE fuel rail upgrade, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite Catch Can, Billet Hurst Shifter, DSS 1000HP axles, Spohn Trailing Arms, Toe Links, Lower Control Arms. Chrome American Racing Torq-Thrust wheels. 546/rwhp & 522/rwtq & 10.9# boost Tune by Jeremy Formato.
sscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 05:48 PM   #6
Batmanntexas

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS (2SS)
Whipple is ZERO help after the sale. I love their product...hate their tech support.

Pull the intake tube off the throttle body and see where the throttle blade is sitting with the KEY OFF, then have someone cycle the KEY ON while you are watching the TB and see what happens.

If the TB is behaving normally, then yes, you probably have a huge vacuum leak.

If the TB is acting weird, then Whipple may have jumbled something in the tune.

COTW 9/8/14
Batmanntexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:30 AM   #7
JS208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
Whipple is ZERO help after the sale. I love their product...hate their tech support.

Pull the intake tube off the throttle body and see where the throttle blade is sitting with the KEY OFF, then have someone cycle the KEY ON while you are watching the TB and see what happens.

If the TB is behaving normally, then yes, you probably
have a huge vacuum leak.

If the TB is acting weird, then Whipple may have jumbled something in the tune.

I agree about their Tech support. I did have a huge vacuum leak. Found it and fixed it and solve the issue with acting like it was going full throttle at start up. Unfortunately I now have another issue I'm trying to work through. So now since I'm able to start it fine and it seems to even idle good, when I barely touch the throttle it sticks and hangs and will not come back down to idle. I cleaned the throttle body per their instructions. Any idea why this may be happening now? I read somewhere that maybe the throttle body needs to be relearned after cleaned and removed? All my wiring appears to be fine and all electrical connections are solid. I'll try your suggestion about cycling the throttle body but if it is in the tune and whipple screwed something up they won't fix it since I already have mods. I just need to get the car drivable so I can get it to my tuner.
Old 11-18-2021, 09:42 AM   #8
larry_g

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
My tuner sent me a base file so I could drive to his place and it was fine as long as I stayed out of the boost.

830 WHP 700 WTQ, Whipple 2.9 @ 13lbs Boost, Flex Fuel Tune by Blevins Tuning, LSA SBE, 3.5 GripTec, ATI LS3 Damper, AFR 260cc Mongoose, ARP Studs, Yella Terra Ultralites, Johnson 2110R, BTR PDS Stage 3, Melling 10355, Improved Racing Baffle, ID1050X, DSX Triple Fuel Pump, RotoFab CAI, NW 103mm TB, Stainless Works 1-7/8" LTH to 3" Speed Eng w/ X-pipe to NPP, Powermaster 9509 XS, Detroit Speed Motor Mounts, MGW, Monster LT1-S, ZL1 Calipers, DBA Rotors & Pads, Bilstein B6 Struts & Shocks, BMR 1.25" Drop Springs & Adj Rear Bar, Pegasus Solid Bushings, Z/28 Wheels, other misc parts.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote