Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-13-2017, 11:20 AM   #1
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Newbie Question: Car between washings?

What are you guys doing between washings? When I take the car to work, there is construction going on, so it ends up with a film of dust that may mostly be regular soil from dirt being disturbed. Or not.

Do I dare try removing the dust with one of those California dusters? Or...?

What are the things you guys do to try to keep the car looking nice?
Old 09-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
Jersey devil

Drives: '17 Z06
You could always do a rinseless wash on it. Shouldn't take more than 15-20mins to do and it'll look great afterwards. If you've never done it before or aren't familiar look at Glen e's How to's. He does a great job explaining it.
Jersey devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #3
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey devil View Post
You could always do a rinseless wash on it. Shouldn't take more than 15-20mins to do and it'll look great afterwards. If you've never done it before or aren't familiar look at Glen e's How to's. He does a great job explaining it.
Thanks! I did read his docs shortly after getting the car, and learned a lot. I should go back and look at the part about rinseless again, as my tiny pea brain has failed to retain any detail on that.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:13 PM   #4
CAM-FIFTY

Drives: 2016 Red Hot 2SS
I had a similar situation, straight rinseless worked just fine.
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=351
CAM-FIFTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #5
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
I want to see a video of someone doing a rinseless, start to finish, in 15 minutes. Fake news IMO. I've used the method and REALLY like it. But by the time you fetch supplies, mix solution, complete each panel start-finish.....I can't see doing it in 15 minutes. I'm too meticulous I guess.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #6
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I can do 15 minutes. That doesn't include wheels, nor does it include the nuance of the grill in front, just the paint. Takes five microfiber towels. And mixing it is a hassle? I put 1.5 ounce in a bucket and fill bucket… no diff than conventional wash. Ready to go.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #7
ninetres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I can do 15 minutes. That doesn't include wheels, nor does it include the nuance of the grill in front, just the paint. Takes five microfiber towels. And mixing it is a hassle? I put 1.5 ounce in a bucket and fill bucket… no diff than conventional wash. Ready to go.....
That's quick man. And I don't consider it a "hassle", but getting your products together, and mixing, takes minutes....which 15
Goes by really fast! 15 total is QUICK.....even using your method which I mostly follow BTW. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2017, 01:52 PM   #8
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
I want to see a video of someone doing a rinseless, start to finish, in 15 minutes. Fake news IMO. I've used the method and REALLY like it. But by the time you fetch supplies, mix solution, complete each panel start-finish.....I can't see doing it in 15 minutes. I'm too meticulous I guess.
It takes practice. I can do under 10 minutes easily.

I do rinseless washes daily in my mobile detailing business. Time is everything to me. I keep my solution and rags ready to go in 5 gallon buckets with a grit guard at the bottom. I use a Tolco high pressure hand-held sprayer to wet the panel. I wipe each panel with a fresh towel using the "rolling wipe" method and the 8 sided folding method and i "flow", I keep moving. I clean the windows with a used towel. I dry with a large waffle weave towel using the "bullfighter" method.

OH! And espresso. Lots of espresso!
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:15 PM   #9
ninetres

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
It takes practice. I can do under 10 minutes easily.

I do rinseless washes daily in my mobile detailing business. Time is everything to me. I keep my solution and rags ready to go in 5 gallon buckets with a grit guard at the bottom. I use a Tolco high pressure hand-held sprayer to wet the panel. I wipe each panel with a fresh towel using the "rolling wipe" method and the 8 sided folding method and i "flow", I keep moving. I clean the windows with a used towel. I dry with a large waffle weave towel using the "bullfighter" method.

OH! And espresso. Lots of espresso!
*quietly chants* "Video! Video! Video!" Lmao. I guess I can believe it. I take my time, I think it takes me 30-60 minutes from start of mixing, to clean-dry car. ZL1 grill, door/trunk seems, outer windows included (not wheels).
Old 09-13-2017, 02:31 PM   #10
KirkH

Quote:
*quietly chants* "Video! Video! Video!" Lmao. I guess I can believe it. I take my time, I think it takes me 30-60 minutes from start of mixing, to clean-dry car. ZL1 grill, door/trunk seems, outer windows included (not wheels).
OK, after the remnants of Hurricane Irma get the hell out of here (3 days of non stop rain), I'm gonna do it!
Old 09-13-2017, 08:17 PM   #11
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
What are you guys doing between washings? When I take the car to work, there is construction going on, so it ends up with a film of dust that may mostly be regular soil from dirt being disturbed. Or not.

Do I dare try removing the dust with one of those California dusters? Or...?

What are the things you guys do to try to keep the car looking nice?
If it's still on the surface and hasn't blown off during your drive home, no, don't use a California Duster. The CD is designed for garage dust, which isn't sticking to the paint.

Rinseless or traditional wash.

To figure out which one you should do, do a "swipe test" with your index finger.

Using as light of pressure that you possibly can, make a light swipe across the area. If most all of the stuff is removed, do the rinseless.

If most of it still remains, foam and traditional wash.

Kenotek Showroom Shine Detail Spray will also help repel dust after a rinseless or traditional wash. Leaves a very anti-static surface that remains several days after applying.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:41 PM   #12
Rustydaytons
Account Suspended

Drives: Chevy
Quote:
Fake news lol
Rustydaytons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #13
KirkH

Quote:
OK, after the remnants of Hurricane Irma get the hell out of here (3 days of non stop rain), I'm gonna do it!
First attempt with no strategy was 9:44.75. I will record video and post when I get a sunny day.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #14
ninetres

Quote:
First attempt with no strategy was 9:44.75. I will record video and post when I get a sunny day.
MVP