Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-02-2021, 11:12 AM   #1
Arizona_Droptop

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Bought a 2017, question about camaro paint

Sorry if this has been asked a million times. I went through some older threads and couldn't find this specific question.

Ok, so got this car about a month ago. Dealer told me the previous owner put a ceramic coating on the car (who knows if that is true). If so, the coating is probably at end of life anyway.

So, I noticed after washing my car for the first time, that water does indeed bead off from the paint. However, when I run my hand gently across the paint, the texture feels granular.

Is that how camaro paint normally feels? Almost like it is textured? Or is it supposed to feel smooth?

Basically, I would like to know if this is normal, or if this means "time to bust out the clay bar".

Again, water beads off the car (implying the ceramic coat is working somewhat), but the paint feels almost rough/sandy (implying that there is debris imbedded in the paint, so coating is gone).

Thanks

Edit: Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I know how I am spending my next weekend!

Last edited by Arizona_Droptop; 03-02-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Arizona_Droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:29 AM   #2
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
My car felt smooth, no ceramic coating or ppf
Old 03-02-2021, 11:31 AM   #3
Hotwheeltat

Drives: 2020 Camaro SS 1LE
Paint surface should never feel "gritty". I'd say it is time for clay bar and paint correction followed by ceramic. Also nothing wrong with a good quality wax coat. Just requires more maintenance.
Hotwheeltat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
My paint feels nice and smooth after I've finished with cleaning and sealing it. I'd say go ahead and give your new ride ride the full treatment. That way you are not guessing if it was done right.

Enjoy your new ride!

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:50 AM   #5
Arizona_Droptop

That's what I thought. Thanks. I was hoping that for some reason chevy used some sort of textured paint or something so I wouldn't need to do the full wash, clay, wax/ceramic treatment.

Oh well, I guess this is just another excuse for me to spend time cleaning her up. Just washed her 3 days ago, and just cleaned the soft top and applied chemical guys protectant to it. I guess another weekend of washing and coating my car is in order.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:35 PM   #6
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona_Droptop View Post
That's what I thought. Thanks. I was hoping that for some reason chevy used some sort of textured paint or something so I wouldn't need to do the full wash, clay, wax/ceramic treatment.

Oh well, I guess this is just another excuse for me to spend time cleaning her up. Just washed her 3 days ago, and just cleaned the soft top and applied chemical guys protectant to it. I guess another weekend of washing and coating my car is in order.
The baggy test. Use a plastic bag and you will feel every bump. Should be smooth as glass. I would guess if you have a 2017 you are at the end of the ceramic's life. I would do IronX, followed up with clay bar, paint correction if needed (at least one step) ISP, then ceramic or graphene. I like the graphene better, I find it cleans better.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:02 PM   #7
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
If it has been a while since the coating was done, you're probably feeling normal fallout and debris on the surface. You will have to clay bar it to get that off. Just use a light clay with plenty of lube. Use a detail spray or a clay lubricant spray.

For all you know, the person that traded it in could have told the dealer they ceramic coated it. It could have been a spray sealant which in most cases, isn't the same level of protection as a professional ceramic coating.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:31 PM   #8
Arizona_Droptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
If it has been a while since the coating was done, you're probably feeling normal fallout and debris on the surface. You will have to clay bar it to get that off. Just use a light clay with plenty of lube. Use a detail spray or a clay lubricant spray.

For all you know, the person that traded it in could have told the dealer they ceramic coated it. It could have been a spray sealant which in most cases, isn't the same level of protection as a professional ceramic coating.
Yeah no way to tell really. I can definitely see remnants of turtle wax around some parts of the hood. So I know the guy at least had it waxed. That doesn't mean he also didn't get it ceramic coated, but I was under the impression that a ceramic coat was used in place of the wax.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:33 PM   #9
Arizona_Droptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
The baggy test. Use a plastic bag and you will feel every bump. Should be smooth as glass. I would guess if you have a 2017 you are at the end of the ceramic's life. I would do IronX, followed up with clay bar, paint correction if needed (at least one step) ISP, then ceramic or graphene. I like the graphene better, I find it cleans better.
I think this is the way. I am going to take a look at the CarPro IronX and Ceramic (as well as other products).

Anyone know if I need to be cautious using that ceramic around certain materials? Like rubber fittings, or the hood vents?
Old 03-02-2021, 03:38 PM   #10
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Time to clay bar...
Old 03-02-2021, 04:35 PM   #11
Jsreo

Drives: 2017 2SS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona_Droptop View Post

Yup, sounds like you need a full pain correction and polish. I used cquartz on my 2017 and use either reload or black fire silicon spray after washing every 3 months or so and my paint feels perfectly smooth.

I am pretty sure the ceramic coating has worn off but I think just doing the silicone based spray a few times a year is good enough for me.

You might want to give that a try before going the full decontamination / paint correction route
Jsreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:38 PM   #12
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
You would be able to tell if someone put wax down over ceramic, it would act like grease on water. Someone mentioned it and he's probably right it had a spray ceramic that only last 3 months. Some great information on coatings and corrections.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:21 AM   #13
Chevelle vs Camaro

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Check the paint for swirls. If swirled out correct and polish. If beading is good (tall beads) and no swirls i would try claying 1st.

22ple makes an ultra fine clay that is suppose to be safe for the coating and leave none to minimal marring.

https://www.detailedimage.com/22ple-...1557/100-g-S1/

And to get an idea if beading is at end of life. If beads are tall round and uniform coating is good:

If not tall and tight like this you have either a coating that is failing or one of many ceramic sealants mis labelled as a coating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chevelle vs Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 10:22 PM   #14
rshelar

Drives: 2017 1SS auto vert Nightfall Gray
Stop guessing and take it to a good detail shop.
rshelar is offline   Reply With Quote