Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Thread Closed

Old 05-09-2020, 06:44 PM   #43
2out2sea

Drives: 2018 hyper blue ZL1 1LE
Before they touch your car it's fine. They wrench on it and it grenades. Ok. That's horrible, but at what point does the dealer take responsibility? I had a similar experience when I took my wife's brand new Mercedes to the local xpel wrap dealer. Moron goofed adding the cover to the fender. When they pealed it off they pulled the clear coat off. Car was one day old!!! Guy at shop said "must have been something wrong with the clear coat.". I was gob smacked at the lack of responsibility. Dealer took care of it and recleared front of the car. Luckily it's the wife's dream car so we'll never sell it, but what the crap is the deal with these places acting like they have no responsibility while the car is in their care!!!
Old 05-09-2020, 07:27 PM   #44
ccw

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochoidal View Post
Is this car the same one that caught fire at the track?
No. This car has never been on a track before. It's my street car.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:28 PM   #45
ccw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2out2sea View Post
Before they touch your car it's fine. They wrench on it and it grenades. Ok. That's horrible, but at what point does the dealer take responsibility? I had a similar experience when I took my wife's brand new Mercedes to the local xpel wrap dealer. Moron goofed adding the cover to the fender. When they pealed it off they pulled the clear coat off. Car was one day old!!! Guy at shop said "must have been something wrong with the clear coat.". I was gob smacked at the lack of responsibility. Dealer took care of it and recleared front of the car. Luckily it's the wife's dream car so we'll never sell it, but what the crap is the deal with these places acting like they have no responsibility while the car is in their care!!!
Yes, I feel your pain. There should be some degree of accountability.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:40 PM   #46
DemonZL1

Drives: like a granny
Looking for clarification here. If the dealer pulled your car from the service drive to the stall and did an oil change and then started it afterwards and it was knocking, it's 100% the dealers fault? Without any concern for finding out the cause, it's just their fault?

If you go look at a car to buy and you start it then it starts to knock 30 seconds later, does that mean it's your fault?

I'm looking at this and assuming the tech did not do any road test or "revving" of the engine since you have not said there was any of that.

Anderson composites coupon code : Demon
Old 05-10-2020, 04:53 PM   #47
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I seriously think the tech forgot to fill it with oil.
I’ve been a licensed mechanic for about 25 years. I know a guy that has done it at least twice. And to boot, the one time it was the service managers wife’s car.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:49 PM   #48
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Bottom line, until there is a tear down it’s all pure speculation. Even then, there is a grey area between long term problem and consequences of an immediate mistake. FWIW, from what little has been described, it does not seem entirely consistent with operating a vehicle with no oil at a dealership. But, again, until there is an autopsy, the cause of death is completely unknown.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
Old 05-10-2020, 06:02 PM   #49
teamwerx

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Some think you took a modified supercharged engine to the dealer and it was already screwed up and you did it on purpose. Some think you took a meticulously cared for car to the dealer to get an oil change and it in the 1:1,000,000 odds it spun a bearing there. Some think the tech worried about COVID-19 and his wives unemployment caused him to drain the oil and your motor screwed up.

1) If it's number one, only you know, and deep down you need to pay for your motor.
2) If it's number two, your engine is modified and you took that risk, and you need to pay for the motor.
3) If it's three and you know that, and you can prove it, Mr. Dealership owes you a crate motor, install and some liability.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:07 PM   #50
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamwerx View Post
Some think you took a modified supercharged engine to the dealer and it was already screwed up and you did it on purpose. Some think you took a meticulously cared for car to the dealer to get an oil change and it in the 1:1,000,000 odds it spun a bearing there. Some think the tech worried about COVID-19 and his wives unemployment caused him to drain the oil and your motor screwed up.

1) If it's number one, only you know, and deep down you need to pay for your motor.
2) If it's number two, your engine is modified and you took that risk, and you need to pay for the motor.
3) If it's three and you know that, and you can prove it, Mr. Dealership owes you a crate motor, install and some liability.
Pretty much sums it up.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:39 PM   #51
ccw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Z/28 View Post
Looking for clarification here. If the dealer pulled your car from the service drive to the stall and did an oil change and then started it afterwards and it was knocking, it's 100% the dealers fault? Without any concern for finding out the cause, it's just their fault?

If you go look at a car to buy and you start it then it starts to knock 30 seconds later, does that mean it's your fault?

I'm looking at this and assuming the tech did not do any road test or "revving" of the engine since you have not said there was any of that.
I don't know exactly what the tech did during those 3 hours as I was in the lounge doing work. I understand that fault can't be assigned until I'm finished with the investigation. However, to me it seems more likely than not that it was something that happened at the dealer versus this being pure coincidence that the engine failed exactly at the time the tech finished working on it.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:40 PM   #52
ccw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJFGTO View Post
Bottom line, until there is a tear down it’s all pure speculation. Even then, there is a grey area between long term problem and consequences of an immediate mistake. FWIW, from what little has been described, it does not seem entirely consistent with operating a vehicle with no oil at a dealership. But, again, until there is an autopsy, the cause of death is completely unknown.
I agree. It's all speculation until the motor is torn down and the investigation is completed.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:43 PM   #53
ccw

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamwerx View Post

Interesting analysis. I can 100% guarantee that there were no known issues with the car at the time I took it in for service. In fact, a friend and I were planning on taking our cars out this weekend for a nice drive. So this definitely was a shock to me.

Now was this pure coincidence or is it something the tech caused? Only a full investigation and motor tear-down will reveal the truth of what happened.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:55 PM   #54
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw View Post
Interesting analysis. I can 100% guarantee that there were no known issues with the car at the time I took it in for service. In fact, a friend and I were planning on taking our cars out this weekend for a nice drive. So this definitely was a shock to me.

Now was this pure coincidence or is it something the tech caused? Only a full investigation and motor tear-down will reveal the truth of what happened.
Where in SoCal are you located? (want to make sure my car doesn't end up at that dealer, not that I would ever go to a dealer except for warranty work)
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 05-10-2020, 07:02 PM   #55
ccw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
Where in SoCal are you located? (want to make sure my car doesn't end up at that dealer, not that I would ever go to a dealer except for warranty work)
I'm in San Diego, but I'm not going to get into more specifics regarding the dealership at this time.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #56
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccw View Post
I'm in San Diego, but I'm not going to get into more specifics regarding the dealership at this time.
I am as well, if you want to send it via Private Message, that would be appreciated...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...

Closed Thread