Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-13-2017, 06:57 PM   #15
Viczl1

Drives: 2019 ZL1
There are some great opinions here. Being 280lbs and a muscular build the vette was a snug fit but comfy once I got in.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #16
DeSH

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6 #4801
If you have the ability to store it indoors, I would try to get the price down on the ZL1...mainly because you should store the vert indoors, and I prefer a muscle car.
DeSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 10:25 PM   #17
Balr14

Drives: Porsche 997.2 Carrera S cabriolet
I'll take the opposite tack from everyone else who expressed an opinion. I love verts. I had to quit riding cycles and they were the best alternative. Vettes are great cars but far too common. A ZL1 vert says you don't think like the rest of the crowd.
Balr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:44 AM   #18
renyart

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
I agree with Bair14.
renyart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:10 AM   #19
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Does your local track allow you to drag a convertible???If yes then the ZL1 is still an option...Otherwise follow your heart, paying more for your "joy" is priceless...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:11 AM   #20
Viczl1

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Yes I have a garage to store it in. I never had a vert so I thought it may be fun. Track says ok up to 10.99 then you get booted lol.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:30 AM   #21
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Yea interesting scenario. Most cases the vette would be a no brainer, but for the first time (maybe ever) you have a Camaro that's on par with a vette. My real answer to this would be a new ZL1, but if I was backed into a corner between the two choices then the vette would be my logical pick.

I'd give it time and shop around. You don't want to rush into a buy when it comes to good cars.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:46 AM   #22
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Honestly I can't really believe there's discussion about this really...We're talking a brand new car with a warranty that more common or not is a better car in every way except for interior space.

I regret buying my convertible...I end up leaving it up 50% of the time and then I feel stupid. It's a lot heavier of a car with extra body slop when you start pushing the car. However if going fast is not your thing, then don't worry about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Yea interesting scenario. Most cases the vette would be a no brainer, but for the first time (maybe ever) you have a Camaro that's on par with a vette. My real answer to this would be a new ZL1, but if I was backed into a corner between the two choices then the vette would be my logical pick.

I'd give it time and shop around. You don't want to rush into a buy when it comes to good cars.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #23
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Here's my take: A run of the mill, bargain basement 1LT Stingray or a 580hp attention getter that is also a convertible. It all depends on what you like. Going home after work, I'll probably see a handful of Stingrays. On the other hand, since 2012, I've seen very few ZL1's. Perhaps a fewer than a dozen. Personally, the Stingray does nothing for me. If I was in the market for a Vette, it would at least have to be a GrandSport. Good luck!

BTW, I love my convertible. The top goes down in April and doesn't come back up until October.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #24
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Ugh.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #25
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Ugh.
Expound.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:42 AM   #26
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
Expound.
A 5th Gen Camaro is an attention getting car? There's so many on the road and 80% of the people that see it don't even know what a ZL1 is.

A hand-built Corvette is somehow run of the mill? And the interior, even 1LT, of the Vette blows away the interior on the 5th gen ZL1 no problem. The ZL1 is just not quite there on the quality and fit and finish. And don't get me wrong, the Vette is no Rolls Royce, but it's better than any Camaro to date.

Since when is 580 HP very special? If you want big power, the LSA runs out and you'll need a real blower anyways so once you're putting a different blower on (Procharger, Paxton, Vortech, Magnuson etc.) then the LSA has no advantage.

I get it you may not be all over the looks of the Stingray, it certainly doesn't look as good as the wide body variants. But with the ground effects and dropping it an inch, it looks awesome. Adding a set of more aggressively offset wheels and you have one bad ass looking car.

Also, all "hard top" Corvettes have a removable roof, leaving the only difference between it and a convertible the "B pillars" and rear windshield behind your head. You get the same exposure IMO but none of that annoying wind back lash. In a way, all Vettes are convertiblesish.

2015 vs 2017
Camaro vs Corvette

I think anyone buying the ZL1 in this situation would be foolish.
Old 07-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #27
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Honestly I can't really believe there's discussion about this really...We're talking a brand new car with a warranty that more common or not is a better car in every way except for interior space.

I regret buying my convertible...I end up leaving it up 50% of the time and then I feel stupid. It's a lot heavier of a car with extra body slop when you start pushing the car. However if going fast is not your thing, then don't worry about it.

Why do you regret your purchase? There shouldn't be regrets if you bought the car that you desired. That's why I usually say to most people to do the homework before buying a car. However, there are new regrets that one doesn't see in the beginning.......we all have some. It should not cloud your ownership experience though.

As far as the vette being better, that's an opinion. It has more content than Camaro, but there are the cynical that would also say that there little difference, quality wise, between the two based that they are from the same maker. Good, better or best is really based on an objective and which car answers an objective best.

The Camaro has enjoyed newfound respect due to its engineering and performance abilities, in both the ZL and Z28 programs. Right now, the ZL1 is the fastest Chevrolet at Nurburgring (until they test a c7Z06). You have to respect Camaro's achievements. Aside from the weight, I would definitely pick a ZL1 over a base vette, but then again I'm not a vette fan.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:46 AM   #28
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
Why do you regret your purchase? There shouldn't be regrets if you bought the car that you desired. That's why I usually say to most people to do the homework before buying a car. However, there are new regrets that one doesn't see in the beginning.......we all have some. It should not cloud your ownership experience though.

As far as the vette being better, that's an opinion. It has more content than Camaro, but there are the cynical that would also say that there little difference, quality wise, between the two based that they are from the same maker. Good, better or best is really based on an objective and which car answers an objective best.

The Camaro has enjoyed newfound respect due to its engineering and performance abilities, in both the ZL and Z28 programs. Right now, the ZL1 1LE is the fastest Chevrolet at Nurburgring (until they test a c7Z06). You have to respect Camaro's achievements. Aside from the weight, I would definitely pick a ZL1 over a base vette, but then again I'm not a vette fan.
FTFY.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote